Castle in Warrington ?

Nick Tessla

I know it isn't the same area but there is a Moat Lane in Rixton . Don't know if it could relate to some castle or fortified manor being situated there at some time in history.Just thought it might be of interest to you.

No castle at Rixton but there was a Rixton Manor first mentioned in 1212 AD and owned by Alan de Rixton.

Warrington Castle is on a slight prominence 250 yd north of the bank of the River Mersey, overlooking a ford and its approaches. The motte was surrounded by a ditch and oval in shape, measuring 161 by 128 ft and survives to a height of 8 ft 10 in in 1908. The bailey was defended by a rampart and ditch. It was probably built in the Norman period, and the residence of the Lords of the Manor of Warrington until they moved to Bewsey Hall in Burtonwood. Warrington Castle was the largest motte-and-bailey castle in Lancashire. By 1587, the castle was in a state of decay. Although the site was reused in the English Civil War, it otherwise slips out of records after 1587 and was probably left derelict. No trace of the castle remains, and the site is occupied by a park.

The Boteler family (once called 'Le Boteleur') lived in the Castle at Mote Hill behind the St Elphins Parish Church until 1260 when it was destroyed by fire

They also owned Rixton Manor in 1212 and Alan de Rixton rented off them, if I'm not mistaken I think the Patten family had Rixton Manor in the 1860's, how long it lasted after that I'm not sure.

No castle at Rixton but there was a Rixton Manor first mentioned in 1212 AD and owned by Alan de Rixton.

Warrington Castle is on a slight prominence 250 yd north of the bank of the River Mersey, overlooking a ford and its approaches. The motte was surrounded by a ditch and oval in shape, measuring 161 by 128 ft and survives to a height of 8 ft 10 in in 1908. The bailey was defended by a rampart and ditch. It was probably built in the Norman period, and the residence of the Lords of the Manor of Warrington until they moved to Bewsey Hall in Burtonwood. Warrington Castle was the largest motte-and-bailey castle in Lancashire. By 1587, the castle was in a state of decay. Although the site was reused in the English Civil War, it otherwise slips out of records after 1587 and was probably left derelict. No trace of the castle remains, and the site is occupied by a park.

Is that likely to have been near where the original ford across the river would have & would that have been round about where Howley weir is Algi?

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha found it and its shockingly bad. It's already been put on youtube and there is only the first 10 mins. It only mentions the castle. The rest is on Church Street. It's called 'Roads to the Past: Church street'. Let me know if you can't find it.

Unlike Algy I had to look straight away and I think I found it Sadako (or did I?)

If it's this one then I'm really impressed and not one I have seen before and I watched every single minute of it. Really interesting from start to finish.

I played Mark Olly's drums a few times in his parents garage a long time ago not that he will probably remember now of course ha ha :lol::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1x0xTU-_4&list=UUUgCcZWe5d5u0C0g4VRtsfA&index=2&feature=plcp

Unlike Algy I had to look straight away and I think I found it Sadako (or did I?)

If it's this one then I'm really impressed and not one I have seen before and I watched every single minute of it. Really interesting from start to finish.

I played Mark Olly's drums a few times in his parents garage a long time ago not that he will probably remember now of course ha ha :lol::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1x0xTU-_4&list=UUUgCcZWe5d5u0C0g4VRtsfA&index=2&feature=plcp

Dizz, I would have thought anyone who met you would never forget you, no matter what age you were. :wink::D :grin:

Ha ha. I will have to ask him. You got the right one. I couldn't paste the link as I'm on my phone. Glad you liked it although I'm not sure what happened to the rest of it. If your interested, watch the Chelsea pensioner documentary called 'Scarlet Soldiers'. I produced and edited that one. It's In about 5 parts though on YouTube lol.

Ha ha. I will have to ask him. You got the right one. I couldn't paste the link as I'm on my phone. Glad you liked it although I'm not sure what happened to the rest of it. If your interested, watch the Chelsea pensioner documentary called 'Scarlet Soldiers'. I produced and edited that one. It's In about 5 parts though on YouTube lol.

Sadako, excellent content, learned something new tonight, I never knew that Cromwell was a Freemason. Just goes to show your never too old to learn!. :D :grin:

Thanks algy. That's what Mr. Olly and my research concluded. I would love to remake it to improve the quality and possibly go into more detail. The idea was to begin at one side of the street and to finish at the other side; church to church. I'd love to film other parts of Warrington too.