Gay marriages

wolfie

European Ruling torpedoes Coalition stance on same sex marriages.

Seems the Euro judges have got something right for once !!

( full article in the DM)

European Judges have ruled that same sex marriages are NOT a human right.

The ruling also says that if gay couples are allowed to marry, any church that offers weddings, will be guilty of discrimination if it declines to marry same-sex couples

It means that if MP’s legislate for same-sex marriages , the Coalition’s promise that churches will not be compelled to conduct the weddings will be worthless.

Lets hope that now the Coalition stops arseing about and start doing that which we pay them for !!

Which brings us back to my very first post.

Church of England lawyers suggests assurances from David Cameron and his ministers that no church will be compelled to provide such ceremonies are worthless
:roll:

Are you saying that it isn't true LK?

I'm sure LK can respond himself, but I'd say, apart from its usual gay-bashing agenda, this bit is probably innacurate:

any church that offers weddings, will be guilty of discrimination if it declines to marry same-sex couples

Any church that offers weddings usually has a criteria to be met which can provide a number of reasons not to marry any particular couple.

The DM is a nasty, vile rag.

No I am not Peter, I was just doing my duty as a responsible citizen, as usual with the DM, it will be 3 parts propaganda to 1 tenuous fact, it's not a paper known for its support of the gay lobby or anything to the left of Atilla the Hun, Facts have never stood in the way of the DM :wink:

When people normally say DM in the context od a newspaper it is the Daily Mail Wolfie. You would have know that if you were a DM regular :wink:

Being a Sun reader it was lost on me, however if you are saying that the quote is incorrect then most gays will disagree as they have started a petition on their human rights.

Human rights for gays

Wolfe

Is marriage a human right?, if it is then they should have equality. They should not have more rights than the rest of society.

You miss the point Lt. It's not IF marriage is a human right or IF they should have equality. It's the fact that David Cameron and his ministers stated that no church will be compelled to provide such ceremonies, knowing damn well that churches will have no choice in the matter.

People who go to church have humans rights as well Wolfie, I would have thought a gay couple trying to get married in a catholic church, knowing that the catholic church stand against gay marriages would be very provocative, and if it went to court the gay couple would not have a leg to stand on.

I think churches lag behind society, it was not that long ago that churches would not marry people who had been divorced.

Is it the function of a religion to keep up with current moral trends or provide a fixed point (however outdated) for folk to calibrate their moral compass? :unsure: If folk want an institution that suits their fickle beliefs, perhaps they should start their own - until of course, it's creed becomes no longer expedient for their current lifestyle. :wink:

So is it just about having equal rights to get married in CHURCHES then :unsure:

I thought it was all about equal rights for getting 'married' in churches or anywhere else as long as they got a marriage certificate rather than civil partnership certidicate.

Errrm, not sure "religion is constantly evolving" Sad; if it had, it would have dumped the idea of creationism by now, and adapted to various scientific and social realities. The problem is, most folk require belief systems that conveniently suit their lifestyles at any given time. :wink: :wink:

Point taken Borris so this numbnut is signing off now and will re-read it all again tomorrow and also visit the ECHR website :blink::lol:

I suppose I could just pretend I am a lesbian though and try to book a 'wedding' tomorrow and see what they say :lol: