More waste of taxpayer's money -

observer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, if any French president went to reform the CAP, they would be committing suicide , the Germans want reform but they need the French. It can not carry on as it is, but reform on the CAP will be slow, and remember British farmers do not want reform either. So the UK government have to be careful. As rural areas and farmers tend to be Tories. It easy to blame the French and the Germans but is it ?

MYTH: The European Union has never had its accounts signed off

« on: May 30, 2011, 11:52:01 »

Seems like this very recurrent myth is rearing its ugly head again. Let's have a closer look into it:

==========

"1. Myth: The European Union’s accounts are not audited, or, the Auditors refuse to sign off on the accounts.

1. Fact: The Auditors actually audit the European Union’s accounts every year, and the funds spent by the EU itself are signed off. However the Auditors annually criticise the member state governments for not providing information on how THEY spent the money given to them by the European Union."

==========

If the European Union gives a certain sum of money to, say, Holland, and this country fails to explain how it's spent this sum, why should the EU be blamed? If anything, it's Holland's fault. As stated above, "the funds spent by the EU itself are signed off".

==========

"The Court of Auditors has given last year, as it did in previous years, a clean bill of health on the EU accounts. The Court confirms these accounts faithfully reflect how the EU budget was spent. The Court also gives a separate opinion on whether all payments have been correctly processed, i.e. paid on time, the invoice properly signed, amounts paid correctly, whether the best and cheapest suppliers have been chosen, etc. The Court says it can only give positive assurance on some spending, not on the whole budget, as it has found errors in some of the payments under scrutiny.

Most of the errors found by the Court concerned EU funds under national management.

The EU test is much more rigorous than that of the private sector, where only book-keeping records are audited.

Sir John Bourn, the UK's Comptroller & Auditor, has recently confirmed that if the UK had a similar test to the European one, he might have to qualify the whole of British Central Government expenditure. In the UK some 500 accounts representing the expenditure of the British government are audited and signed off separately, with some not passing the test each year, whereas the whole of EU expenditure is subject to a single verdict."

So is the UK for what they spend, and as you have read, the EU do a better job of accounting than the UK, You do not seem to bother about the Uk though, funny that :wink:

So can we agree that your post on the EU accounts is propaganda, how many more of your views are based on fabrication, It might be worth a re- evaluation of some of your views. Mind you, you have never let facts stand in your way before :lol:

So inky your not questioning whether they are signed off or not, As the Europeans make a better job than the UK on their accounts why aren't you complaining about that, should we not be putting are own house in order first. When we do our books better than they do we would have a better argument don't you think :wink:

If I was "The EU" and I handed out 100 billion Euros to say Holland..... and they duly spent said 100 billion Euros and then wouldn't tell me where.... do you think I would give them another 100 billion Euros the next year if I was a competant type of chap?.... would I buggery

and there in lies the issue Kije. If the EU carries on handing out money like candyfloss to every waif and stray country without proper checks on where it gets spent; then ultimately the EU accounts are flawed too because they cannot account for how OUR money is spent otherwise, you could write the EU accounts on the back of a fag packet.

Gave 100 billion to Holland

Gave 100 billion to Greece (plus a bit more)

Gave 100 billion to Portugal

Gave 100 billion to Poland

Stole 48 billion off UK..... :D

No the point is Baz, the EU keep better books than the UK, but you still moan about the EU, should you not be moaning about how the UK keep their books before you start on the EU?

What on earth are you wittering on about now? What has "book-keeping" got to do with how the EU wastes billions of euros on subsidies to landowners who cheat the system but the EU don't/won't stop it?

And where is your evidence that the EU has better books kept than the UK anyway? Would it be from a Brussels propoganda dictat?