Police Commisioners?

observer

I would feel uncomfortable about an individual (particuarly a career politician, of whatever persuasuion) having such a concentration of power.

Also, can one individual sitting in an office in Force Headquarters really have an understanding of what the various communities want and need without some form of local input.

Many Police forces cover terrotory with a patchwork of areas, run-down inner city, prosperous villages, substantial rural areas with miles between inhabitants, coastal etc.

These different areas will have different concerns.

It seems to make far more sense to have a directly elected Police Authority.

Wasn't aware that I even implied that it did? :unsure: Policing will deteriorate due to the cuts, the Gov require a fall guy to take the resulting flak - hence this commissioner idea - same with "elected" Mayors. btw some UN drugs bod has said parts of UK Cities are already "no go areas" - perhaps the UN will help us out?! :wink:

Wasn't aware that I even implied that it did? :unsure: Policing will deteriorate due to the cuts, the Gov require a fall guy to take the resulting flak - hence this commissioner idea - same with "elected" Mayors. btw some UN drugs bod has said parts of UK Cities are already "no go areas" - perhaps the UN will help us out?! :wink:

For God's sake obs! do you have a persecution complex, I did not answer your statement, I merely added yours to keep mine in context and to allow the post to flow, as I have also done here, or are we not allowed to do that now. :roll:

Your allowed to do and say anything you wish, subject to censorship by the monitors. I naturally thought you were responding to my previous post. :wink:

Nah'! just trying for a prolific like you obs. I think you might mean 'moderators' we left monitors behind at school a few years ago.:wink::D

• 1 year later...

I see there was an article in the Guardian the other day about  the £ 700,000 per annum running costs for the  Cheshire Police Commissioner. Apart from the man  himself ,there is an unelected deputy , a couple of executives to help with implementing decisions plus various other back room Johnnies & Jennies  & all at a time when front line policing is being cut.