Water everywhere -

observer

How odd to have a drought and a hosepipe ban in February :unsure:

Fish are already dying where my sister lives because rivers are so low, farmers crops are in trouble, boreholes are drying up, reservoirs are low...... not good at all.

Where does Warrington get all its water from by the way. I know there's Appleton Reservoir but where else? With all the 1000's of new homes which have been (or are still being) built in Warrington should we start filling tubs and hoarding the stuff? I wonder how many would fit in a large chest freezer :lol:

Fish are already dying where my sister lives because rivers are so low, farmers crops are in trouble, boreholes are drying up, reservoirs are low...... not good at all.

Where does Warrington get all its water from by the way. I know there's Appleton Reservoir but where else? With all the 1000's of new homes which have been (or are still being) built in Warrington should we start filling tubs and hoarding the stuff? I wonder how many would fit in a large chest freezer :lol:

I think Warrington gets a lot of water from Wales? I don't know for certain, does anybody else think that.

How come after years of drought or near drought in the South and South East, they haven't considered building de-salination plants. We are surrounded by sea. On the coast in an area of Spain where we often go they have built one in less than two years! And it hasn't cost a fortune to build. Do you think the water people in the affected areas here have buried their heads in the sand?

Desalination takes a lot of energy - and so is a very expensive option to use.

The SE could do FAR more with the water resources it has, it's frankly ridiculous that an area prone to drought with more water demand than they can supply is still using fresh, treated drinking water to flush toilets, water gardens and wash cars.

If they can't be bothered to harvest the rainwater which falls on all of their roofs and use that for "grey" water purposes then we should be giving them our water - we should be SELLING it to them!

Do we 'give' them our water as from what Middlec says ours is actually from Wales. It doesn't taste as nice out of my tap nor is it as soft as the water we get when we are actually in some parts of Wales though so why's that? :unsure:

I agree with you that they should be harvesting their rainwater and I guess we all should really but daft girlie question now....

Doesn't unharvested rainwater from roofs and the likes go down drains and into the rivers and other places where the water companies get it from :oops:

Asda or Tesco. :)

I think Warrington gets a lot of water from Wales? I don't know for certain, does anybody else think that.

How come after years of drought or near drought in the South and South East, they haven't considered building de-salination plants. We are surrounded by sea. On the coast in an area of Spain where we often go they have built one in less than two years! And it hasn't cost a fortune to build. Do you think the water people in the affected areas here have buried their heads in the sand?

Yes.

Doesn't unharvested rainwater from roofs and the likes go down drains and into the rivers and other places where the water companies get it from :oops:

Into rivers, often yes. But usually way downstream of anywhere the water companies are extracting water from. The reservoirs tend to be in upland areas fed by unpolluted streams.

Thanks, it's obvious now you have said it :oops:

Another one (sorry)....

If people start to harvest all their rainwater won't the water companies loose out financially though as they charge us for it going down their drains so we presumably wouldn't have to pay for that part of their service :wink:

a national water grid was considered years ago but privatisation got in the way and every water company diverted assets to providing a very good living for their management and shareholders and balls to the grid.

The only reason this is being discussed again now is because the South is affected and these poor people down there cannot be made to suffer. Their water boards could have had desalination, better leak management etc etc but profit before spending was their watchword.

Thanks, it's obvious now you have said it :oops:

Another one (sorry)....

If people start to harvest all their rainwater won't the water companies loose out financially though as they charge us for it going down their drains so we presumably wouldn't have to pay for that part of their service :wink:

To a certain extent, yes.

But then they won't have to purify as much drinking water only to have it wasted, or spend huge sums upgrading their infrastructure to cater to increasing demand.

Makes sense but no doubt they would put up their other charges to compensate for their 'losses' on others services to keep their profits high so we (the consumers/customers who have no choice in who supplies us) will always loose out in some way whether that is by early and continuous hosepipe bans, other restrictions or charges on usage or simply by overall inflated prices :unsure:

I recon all developers who are building these large new housing projects everyhwere, which must clearly be stretching the existing water supply, should have to either pay a large contribution towards either leak repairs in old and existing pipework or better still towards a possible longer term solution to what is clearly becomming something of a problem.