Would You Stand And Watch?

Cleopatra

Well gents, strange that you two were first out of the 'traps' so to speak, and yes I agree emphatically, and as you so rightly say we are all entitled to our opinions and this happens to be mine! and you to gents are entitled to disagree with it,

so - IF THE CAP FITS WEAR IT!. :wink::D :grin: :D

"Cleo that is so true of this and probably other forums,they seem to attract men (predominately) that are gutless wonders who are happy to contradict or persistently correct others opinions merely to have the last word knowing full well that there is little or no chance of meeting their counterparts face to face and seem to be on a constant egotistical trip, only interested in forcing their often misguided point of view on other forum members".

• Upvote 1

:lol::lol:

Can't say I've ever noticed any so called 'egotistical gutless wonders' trying to do that on here Algy .... it would be a very boring forum if everyone didn't give their own views and simply 'agreed' with each other all the time :unsure:

Hey... did I just have the last word :D

• Upvote 1

You could hold my coat Diz. :wink:

Oooh but who would skin you first though Wolfie cos I ain't doint that :shock:

It all sounds really cosy though... a wolf skin 'coat' stretched over Algy and Obs' zimmer frames. Ok so it won't be the right shape for a teepee but it's a start.

So who else wants to join in what are they willing to offer?

I'm liking the sound of this :D:lol:

Back on topic...

Yes I would have literally waded in.

A few years ago here in an Iriah town, an old man, clearly one of Ireland's many inebriates, was staggering on the pavement, bleeding from the head. Seemingly he had fallen. He was asking for help - and everyone was passing him by,. I almost did then realised what I was doing and stopped. Someone had given me a lift in and was waiting across the road. So I went over and asked him to wait...."Oh someone will stop.. look there's a Garda.." Who also walked right past the man... By then I was getting angry so but then a man stopped to tend to him.

I don't care relegalities etc when someone is hurt. It is getting ike the US; inhuman. Leave it to someone else...

Welcome to the forum Grace. :)

Your post reminded me of a story I was told many years ago, when I was much younger than today.

An old lady, a regular and devout church goer was sitting quietly in church one Sunday as the minister droned on and she began to have doubts.

She was thinkig to herself, 'I come here every Sunday and every Sunday the same old thing and I don't even know if God really exists or if I am just wasting my time coming here.' Then she thought. 'God, if you really exist please give me a sign.'

Immediately she heard a voice speak to her in her mind. 'My dear child, I will come to your home for tea at 4 o'clock on Wednesday.'

Well the old lady was surprised but very happy because God had told her he would come to tea at her house. She went home and began preparing, cleaning till her house was spotless, baking cakes and pies.

Wednesday came and rather nervously the old lady waited till 4 o'clock.

At 4 o'clock there was a knock at the door and she rushed to open it, only to find a tramp standing there. 'Sorry to bother you missus', the tramp said, 'but could you spare me a crust of bread and a drink of water? I haven't eaten a thing for two days now'.

She was rather disappointed that it wasn't God but she was a compassionate old lady and invited the tramp in and gave him some food and a cup of tea. And while he was eating she went out of the room and came back with a coat and a pair of shoes which had belonged to her late husband and gave them to the tramp to wear.

The tramp thanked her for her kindness and went on his way.

The old lady sat and waited and waited but God never showed up. Needless to say, she was very disappointed.

The following Sunday the old lady again sat quietly thinking in the church. She thought, 'God, you told me that you would visit me for tea last Wednesday but you never came. Why?'

Then God replied, 'My dearest child I did visit you. Do you remember that tramp who came to your house and asked you for something to eat and you were very kind to him?'

'Yes,' she replied.

'Well', said God, 'that was me'.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum Grace, as a newcomer to the forum, your first impression of us must leave you wondering what kind of idiots you have joined, every now and then we become embroiled in a bit of light hearted banter, no long lasting bitterness though and sometimes it requires some new sensible blood injected into the forum to bring us back to our senses and the original topic, which in this case shows just how impersonal and uncaring today's society has become (only my personal opinion of course), the event that you have quoted being a typical example, hopefully the old gentleman recovered.

Cutting a long story short, I once found myself on the floor gasping for breath and literally unable to speak and hearing a group of young men walking past me saying “leave him he’s drunk”. Fortunately I recovered and managed to make it home with a broken ankle but it does illustrate how some people just don’t want to get involved in other people’s problems and how assumptions can be very wrong.

Bill :)

Cutting a long story short, I once found myself on the floor gasping for breath and literally unable to speak and hearing a group of young men walking past me saying “leave him he’s drunk”. Fortunately I recovered and managed to make it home with a broken ankle but it does illustrate how some people just don’t want to get involved in other people’s problems and how assumptions can be very wrong.

So thankful that you managed that, Bill.. Having been on the receiving end of total lack of caring myself many times, I made a decision that I would never miss a chance to help others.

It has led to some interesting encounters. No idea re that particular old man as my lift was getting shirty and I have limited mobility. I was ready to call an ambulance if need be.

Well Grace, when I was a child, like most others back then I was told the story of the Good Samaritan and I guess something from that must have rubbed off on me. I could never walk past someone in distress and just hope that someone else would do the right thing.

In this instance, we don’t know the full facts. The report focuses on the silly health and safety issues so it’s all too easy to get drawn in and to begin assuming the worst. For all we know, the person who called for help may simply have been a none swimmer rather than someone who didn’t want to get their cloths wet but that wouldn’t make quite as good a story for the papers.

Well Grace, when I was a child, like most others back then I was told the story of the Good Samaritan and I guess something from that must have rubbed off on me. I could never walk past someone in distress and just hope that someone else would do the right thing.

In this instance, we don’t know the full facts. The report focuses on the silly health and safety issues so it’s all too easy to get drawn in and to begin assuming the worst. For all we know, the person who called for help may simply have been a none swimmer rather than someone who didn’t want to get their cloths wet but that wouldn’t make quite as good a story for the papers.

You are too generous.. I have limited mobility and still would have waded in. A life was at risk...It is second nature.

Remembering early one morning when I lived near the Border here in Ireland and used to cross once a month to shop at ASDa, prices being so much lower there.

I was driving through a town around 5 am and realised I had just seen a bicycle and a pair of legs on the pavement.. Doubled back and there was a man, stunned and yes, drunk, Must have come off his bike on his way home from the pub.. Knocked at doors as I don't have a cell phone but no one would answer so I stood in the road and flagged a van load of workmen down,, Had the night been cold that man would have had hypothermia and worse. Head injuries are dangerous.

Not going to criticise others unless I am living that work.. Gets me in conflict with authorities at times though!