Charles III * , House of Windsor or House of Mountbatten

Nick Tessla

When Edward VII became monarch, rather than being of the House of Hanover, like his mother - Queen Victoria, he became the first of the House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.

When Elizabeth Windsor dies, will her successor be the first monarch of the House of Mountbatten?

( * Assuming that Charles Philip Arthur George become Charles III , rather than George VII. There has been talk of Charles being rejected as it has unfortunate connotations - rather than George, with two world wars, a german loony and his fat spendthrift son attached to the name George :unsure: . Go for King Arthur , Charlie boy! )

It's all about which of his names HRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall will use on being coronated king after the death of his mother, our beloved Queen Elizabeth II, long may she reign. :)

Still don;t get it :oops: Wont he just be King Charles ?

Still don;t get it :oops: Wont he just be King Charles ?

Not necesarily, Dizzy. There has been talk that he will not want to be King Charles as that has negative connotations for royalty - i.e. Charles I was beheaded by Cromwell.

The favourite for his name as king seems to be George, partly out of respect for his maternal grandfather, George VI (aka Colin Firth in "The Kings Speech" ) despite the record of George III (mad german who had chats with trees etc.) and the unpopular waistrel George IV.

There are precedents for using names other than the first given name - including Edward VII, who was Albert Edward

Must be a bit weird to be that age and then to maybe have to change your name.

I can just imagine him at a large function where someone says 'all rise for King George' and him looking round confused then saying 'oooh blaaast that's me isn't it, I forgot again, sorry'. Maybe he should be King Chalie-George'

King Charles is a breed of dog though so there would be loads of jokes about that .... :wink:

All seems like a load of nonsense if you ask me.

I guess so and I have nothing against the monarchy and but I always thought they had all just got the word 'King' or 'Queen' plonked before their actual real name :oops:

History was never one of my stronger subjects at school :lol:

Why didn't Queen Eliz just give him the name George or something else when he was born rather than 'Charles' if as Nick says that would have 'negative connotations for royalty - i.e. Charles I was beheaded by Cromwell' if/when he becomes king.

It's not like she didn't have an idea that one day he may become king. :roll:

Just still seems ridiculous that he could become King George, but his name isn't George..nobody has every called him George...because his name is Charles.

I guess it's just my girlie logic standing in the way of me understanding.

Isn't he a bit old to become King though anyway as he's 63 now and Lizzie looks to have many more years left in her yet thankfully and she's a gem :D

Just still seems ridiculous that he could become King George, but his name isn't George..nobody has every called him George...because his name is Charles.

A name isn't just chosen a random, he was given suitable names at his baptism therefore the choice is from his names Charles Philip Arthur George.

Ahhhhh....... I didn't know he had all those names too :oops::oops: Bloody hell, I'm so stupid at times :unsure::lol:

At least all the names are of the same gender, unlike Princess Michael of Kent.*

(I seem to recall that Sarah Ferguson was originally going to be The Princess Andrew when she was due to marry Charlie's former understudy)

* formerly Baroness Marie Christine Anna Agnes Hedwig Ida von Reibnitz

The favourite for his name as king seems to be George, partly out of respect for his maternal grandfather, George VI (aka Colin Firth in "The Kings Speech" ) despite the record of George III (mad german who had chats with trees etc.) and the unpopular waistrel George IV.

Didn't Charles talk to trees some years ago? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...