Time to ditch the ECHR?

observer

Kije,

If the only positive you can bring to the table about the ECHR is for some old blokes book being allowed to be published and read in the UK (when it was already available to anyone going abroard anyway) and yet you refuse to acknowledge the fact that the majority of the cases they hear appear to help terrorists and other n'er do wells.... that really sums you toga wearers up in my eyes....

As I've suggested: either the ECHR is modified/ammended to deal with the kind of cases it was set up to deal with originally (they've got a back log from Russia); and prevent judges decisions turning it into a farce, and HR lawyers from making a fortune out of legal aid OR just renage on the Treaty and have our own Bill of Rights - end of. :wink:

Not going off at a tangent, Obs as usual is only putting forward negatives. The spycatcher saga is an example of a possative, the act enabled the UK to no what the rest of the world already new. I had no idea Baz that this thread was just for slagging off.

So you weren't actually using this thread as another opportunity for "slagging off" Maggie then :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Did the man who was deported from France have his case heard in front f the ECHR???

probably not because they are clever enough just to get shut and ask questions later..... once the baddie is out of your country and in someone elses, it is no longer your problem.... simples!

If we had just stuck him on a plane and dropped him off somewhere, Quatada would no longer be an issue for us or the ECHR

So if they did not go to the ECHR, why are you blaming them :unsure:

I said "probably not".... I don't know and don't particularly give a toss. The ECHR just like the human rites act is an organisation and an act which only ever seems to be used by terrorists and criminals. It does nothing for the normal citizen in normal circumstances.

Only today, we learn of yet another muslim who is accused by the US of funding terrorism in the UK and they want him extradited because they believe he funded acts which killed US citizens. He has been fighting since 2004 (on legal aid etc) and now is turning to the ECHR according to his solicitor....

Just stick him on a plane and let the yanks deal with him. He is facing life without parole. He wants to be tried over here; where if convicted he will probably be fined £20 and told not to do it again

Laughable

because they are not afraid of the consequences..... like the one the French booted out. What can they do to France now he's gone? Demand they let him back in? I doubt it.

The whole system is a bag of spanners and needs to be abolished and we need to get out of the EU immediately.... all those billions should be going towards paying off our debts, not shoring up Greece and Spain and certainly not into a pot that the bloody Argies can get their hands on