WH Smith voucher scam - have you been caught out?

Geoff Settle

I was at the Trafford centre on Friday dropping my daughter and her friends for a spot of retail therapy.

I took the opportunity to visit Smiths and spend my collection of gift vouchers - could I heck.

No chance the things had run out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cards were a gift and as a recipient I hadn't read the terms and conditions - as you can imagine I staged a shoppers protest there and then - I loudly informed the queue of what I thought of the situation called for the manageress - she phoned up head office but said that all she could offer was an address and the promise that if I wrote to them they would consider my case.

Now to be fair Smiths is just one of many shops successfully scamming the public.

I?m sure that I saw a tv program about it, they openly admit that a high percentage of people never use their vouchers and those that do spend a lot more than their face value plus they are making interest on the money so what?s the big deal about giving the customer what they are entitled to??????????????????????

:onfire: :onfire:

Eagle surely you can put your distaste for me to one side and understand the point that I am making or are you that shallow.

Why should a recipient have to read the small and it is small print when they receive a gift from a friend? Why should a blue chip company like WS Smith rip off its customers so that they can make a fast Buck?

I for one think and believe that it is unacceptable. You may have lots of money to waste but there are people out there who haven't and don't want to be exploited. :bluegrab:

Geoff.

On the adverse how rude of you to wait so long to cash in a gift from a friend or family member I would think that person(s) are waiting to be told what you bought with the gift they spent their well earned money on.

I am with Eagle on this read the small print, its there for a reason and not just to keep a printer in work.

John

Geoff

For a change, I'm 100% behind you on this one because it's not like we?re talking money off coupons here; these can be sizeable sums of money.

If you pay Smiths ?10 in advance then your providing them with an interest free loan which even if it had no time limits would continue to work in their favour as it's buying power continually reduces with time while at the same time, the interest they earn only increases.

I often give such vouchers at Christmas but I'll be re-thinking this next year.

Bill :)

Bill.

But when you give them do you expect them to be used or hoarded until a later date , if something has a small print it should be read. I do not see how you can complain if the date has expired on the voucher if you havent read the small print as I mentioned earlier its there for a reason.

John

Geoff, I don't know where the 'distaste' bit came from.........I just sometimes wonder at your lack of nous and worldliness outside of your many and varied interests,reports of which you give us full chapter and verse.

Your thinking that companies should cater for people who have found their long forgotten vouchers is a joke and your ranting in front of an audience is to use your word 'childish'

I always read the small print, I though everyone did.

Jayc your use of the term Rude is that used by a Parent to a child.

Yes my ranting would maybe appear childish but I felt that I was being treated like a child for not doing my homework, i.e. not reading the small print - it was that small that I didn't even notice it. I must read the small print 100 times before spending my voucher.

All I was aware of was that I had a 10 pound voucher to spend in WH Smiths on whatever I wanted to. It never even entered my mind that I needed to read the small print. I didn't even see it.

They are just having a laugh at our expense - plain and simple.

another clear case of the "usual suspects" who like to turn a reasonable debate into an attack on a poster.

petty attempts to make themselves look smart...like they read the small print on everything... they struggle to read posts on here and interpret them correctly never mind legal clauses.

Gof, I fully support your possition, its not a question of whats written in the smallprint, its a question of the morality of the company, especialy large high street ones whome you beleive should have a high degree of customer respect.

This is clearly a loophole in the law that needs clearing up. respectable companies should not engage in these practices.

legion,

Atack by the usual subjects , little over the top even from you, I have attacked no one I have voiced an opinion only and that is (YET AGAIN) if a paper , document. gift voucher ,ticket (sport or lottery) or any such item has small print it is there for a reason then it should be read if you fail to read it and you fall foul to its rules then you have no regress.

John