Free movement of labour?

observer

The "facts" are: that the Home Secretary is initiating contingency plans due to fears that massive unemployment in Greece and Spain will create a surge in economic migration to N/Europe (incl the UK). My original question was, what will such plans involve, when we're signed up to an EU Treaty that permits such movement. I think Asp was fairly near the mark, on the answer. As usual, your just striving for tangents. :wink:

.. but possibly not too wide of the mark Asp! :wink: :wink:

I 100% support free movement of labour in the UK as long as it means moving those that have no legal right to be here back to where they came from and yes in this instance I do have a NIMBY attitude regarding this subject. The SS United Kingdom has so many 'stowaways' that she is becoming top heavy and in danger of capsizing and when us fare paying passengers attempt to board the life boats they will be so overloaded with 'stowaways' that we will be unable to get on as these scum are so adept at surviving that we will be left to drown, do you think the other EU countries will send their ships out to rescue us, not a chance in Hell!. :angry:

Obs, I have a clearer idea on what benefits they get, I might be slightly out of date, But you forget I worked at the CAB, your information probably comes from right wing papers, hense I asked you what benefits you think they get, your lack of an answer means you have not really got a clue and you were hoping for help from Peter or Baz.

Your hole opinion is based on ignorance, you are shooting blind as usual :wink:

As I said; that wasn't the crux of the topic: however, since you keep labouring the point - EU immigrants are entitled to unemployment benefit for a start; plus you'll recall claims by Poles for family allowance (even though some of the families were in Poland). But it ain't just about benefit claims, which are far more generous in the UK than some of the other EU States (especially now they are cutting them); but it's also about tax consumption. IF they come over here and are unemployed they won't be paying taxes; but they and their dependends will be consuming public services (schools, hospitals etc). With 2million young Brits unemployed, it beggers belief that anyone can even be considering condoning mass immigration. :roll:

• Upvote 1

EU, immigrants are entitled to the job seekers Allowance Obs, not unemployment Benafits

Kije....can you get jobseekers allowance if you are in a job?

If not, then surely it is an unemployment benefit!!

:D :grin: nice one Baz! :wink: :wink: Kije, wake up and smell the coffee: it's about numbers. We've got 2million youngsters unemployed and job, pay and benefit cuts as a result of austerity. The Greeks and Spanish etc have got that times ten. But our boat, though low in the water, ain't quite sinking like theirs. If they swim over to our boat, they'll sink it. If you really want to help the Greeks etc out; book a holiday there. :wink: :wink:

Baz Their are different Benefits, Job seekers used to be for people who had never worked, or had been out of work for over 2 years, Unemployment benefit used to be for people who had just been made redundant, and you got it for 2 years, it was paid at a higher rate than job seekers.

We have no cash for anything above the norm..... If p[eople want to come here to work, then they should be expected to speak the language.... I certainly don't remember the French, German or Spanish being as accomodating with our ex-pat workers

We have crazy situations in the country where one council is spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on translation costs....

In one year alone, "MANCHESTER council was asked to translate its documents and services into 77 different languages

Demand for translation in the city has rocketed due to the huge increase of foreign nationals settling in Manchester over the last 15 years. A unit called M-4 Translations, set up by the council in 1992, costs more than £800,000 per year to run, of which the council contributed £280,000.

About 50 per cent of the work goes on providing translation for other organisations, such as the NHS."

When in Rome..... especially if you are here to work rather than as a one off two week holiday because it would be a bit much to expect anyone to learn a language other than the basics such as "where is the bar" for two weeks in Spain!!