Free movement of labour?

observer

The figures apparently state that up to 360,000 people of foreign origins are claiming benefits in the UK. 1 in 4 are from the EU countries while the rest are from India, Pakistan, Somalia etc.....

I wonder if Somlalia would give me and 359,999 others benefits, house, medical and dental care for free?

:shock: You know what SilverLady until you said that it had never actually occurred to me that all the people I see selling the Big Issue seem to be foreign these days :unsure:

The lady who stands outside our local coop every week certainly is too but that aside she is very nice.. :unsure:

We have only bought from her twice over the years though and that has always been at xmas before anyone has a go at me.

However, Inky was your comment just tongue in cheek as I just looked on their webste and it seems anyone (with certain circumstances) can become a BI vendor. They get the first batch for free to start them off and then they pay £1.25 for each copy which they can then sell at £2.50.

Doubling your money doesn't sound a bad idea and I might kick our lad out so he can apply and start earning. (I'm joking !!) :lol:

I guess the problem could be that the foreigners are more on the ball and willing so they apply and get the pitches first leaving nothing in the immediate area for others who may live there and really need some help too but who are either too embarrassed or lazy to stand on a street corner selling mags to make some money.

http://www.bigissue.org.uk/get-involved/how-become-vendor

As for the original question on this topic, I have no idea what you are on about so will have to google that too :oops:

:oops: OK so it's something that has been talked about and has been going on for many years and nothing new..... oops. Yep I feel stupid now :unsure:

We seem to welcome them with open arms and have done for a long time. Just one of the things I just read, and no doubt there and thousands more, was...

APRIL 2009 - UK

The UK was one of the three countries, along with Ireland and Sweden, to place no restrictions on workers from the 2004 entrants. However, workers have to register and only become eligible for benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance and income support after working continuously in the UK for at least a year.

After an unexpectedly large influx of workers from Central Europe - an estimated 600,000 in two years - the UK announced that it would impose restrictions on workers from Bulgaria and Romania. Up to 20,000 are allowed to take low-skilled jobs in agriculture or food processing, high-skilled workers are able to apply for work permits to perform a skilled job, and students are able to work part-time. Self-employed people from Bulgaria and Romania are already allowed to work in the UK, and this will continue.

Clearly that has probably changed a lot since then and got much worse with more being allowed in and more benefits being available due to HR and the likes :?

Why did they originally start to impose restrictions on people from Bulgaria and Romania... and are they ever going to impose the same restrictions on those from Poland etc or will our pound shops not cope with that.

So in short.... my answer is DEFINATELY NOT too.

Baz, if you ever go to Somalia and they pay you benefits just remember who your friends were and send just a little back over here to support us (providing you don't get paid in parrots or eye patches of course)

Peter, if you ever move to Spain for the winter I trust that you will inform the authorities that you do not need your winter fuel payment, and if you don’t them I am happy to accept half of it to keep quiet

:wink:

Well it seems most of this imported labour (at least the Poles) have a reputation for a good work ethic; but time spent on the dole, could convert them to the shirk ethic. With increasing unemployment presumably the cost to taxpayers will increase too, so can we afford it, in this age of austerity? :unsure:

The loophole which the foreign sellers of the Big Issue exploit is that once they are selling it they are considered to be employed - regardless of how few copies they sell and how little they make out of it.

That "employed" status automatically opens the door to many things including, but not limited to, NI credits, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Tax Credits, Child Benefits (including for children who are still back in the home country and who may, or may not, actually exist!), free dental care, help with travel costs, the list goes on and on.

Selling the Big Issue for a couple of hours a day gives them all of this, plus the vast majority of their time free to work cash in hand in the black economy.

And, because they already have a "job", they are not chased by the unemployment people to take any vacancies that come along or get put on training courses.

It might not be politically correct, but I always ask a Big Issue sellers nationality before buying from them. If they ain't from the UK, they get nowt.

Interesting Inky and if that is the case then it should be stopped.

I will remember that next xmas.

By next Xmas all the current crop of Romanians etc will have their feet well and truely under the table and their snouts buried so deep in the trough that we'll never dig them out!

Once an immigrant has held a paid "job" in the UK for 6 months they become eligible to claim the full range of unemployment benefits. So from the 6 month point onwards they don't even need to put in their couple of hours a week flogging the big issue.

They can then permantently avoid having to take any job on offer, or any compulsory training scheme placement, by claiming (through their taxpayer funded interpreters) to speak no English whatsoever. Inexplicably, there is absolutely NO requirement for a benefit claimant to learn to speak the language of their host nation.

Personally, I'd restrict printing of ALL official forms to only the recognised and historical languages of the UK - and make provision of interpreters the responsibility of either the immigrant themselves or of their own countries Embassies and Consulates.

Personally, I'd restrict printing of ALL official forms to only the recognised and historical languages of the UK - and make provision of interpreters the responsibility of either the immigrant themselves or of their own countries Embassies and Consulates.

Thou droning guts-griping clotpole, dost though meaneth the historical language such as this be? :lol::lol::lol:

:wink: Just joking - honestly. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Interesting that Teresa May has had the insight to forsee the possibility that with mass unemployment in parts of the EU (50% in Spain); we need to restrict entry into the UK. How will they do this, if we are commited by EU Treaty to the free movement of labour? :unsure:

I believe that even as we speak special plans are being made to process the extra immigrants expected. Extra Civil Servants are being employed to ensure that there will be no delays in arranging accomodation, the issuing of National Insurance numbers and , of course, any benefits that may be required. The printing presses are running overtime producing pamphlets in Spanish, Portuguese and Greek explaining what benefits are available and how to obtain them, as well as medical and dental care. The government believe that taking such a hard stand now will prevent difficulties in future. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Presume, like your liberal luvie mate Nick Clegg; you'll have your head in the sand as usual and your rear high in the air; ready for their arrival?! :wink: Just in case you havn't noticed, we have an unemployment problem over here too. But back to the question: how will Teresa stop them coming, without breaking the EU Treaty on the free movement of labour? :unsure: