WARNING - Riverside retail park

Carmina Fothergill

Very wise and my A & U will be doing the same.

Anyway it’s that time of the night when my brain starts to ponder over things so…

Just as a matter of interest does anyone happen to know who actually owns the car part/land at riverside as they presumably would be the people who have contracted CMS (UK) LTD to oversee the car park.

They should be the ones being asked unless of course it is a joint effort by the shops management as it must be annoying at weekends when the ca rpark is full and congested due to people parking there but shopping elsewhere

I did look on the council website but alas the only planning applications I could find related to existing shops on there and under their own name and for things like signs or lights etc. I guess Riverside Retail Park must have been there for many years and as such the original application for it’s build or modernisation must have shredded or something si I can’t find who owned or now owns it.

I (well we but for ease I ams saying 'I') would also like to know what percentage of the £90 fine (reduced to £50 if you pay up quickly) the land owners receive if anything. (or indeed shop management if they have instigated it)

'I' would also like to know if ‘they’ actually pay CMS a fee to monitor their car park or whether the service is provided for free from CMS as they inturn make their money from the recouped fines.

'I' would also like to know.... a lot of other things which I will be able to find out once I know the owner and who has instructed this company ha ha.

CMS have a website according to their signs (no I didn’t go and look but someone else did) so if anyone needs their services or has a complaint/appeal it is here.

http://www.cmsukltd.com/

Nothing about their charging policy and how they calculate it or even the legislation that covers them though apart form that relating to disabled parking bays.

Very professional indeed.

Just as an after thought..... as the council are making a huge loss on their parking enforcement at the moment maybe they should branch out and offer the services of their bluecoats to private carparks and split the money. Even the council's fines are lower that these private leaches from out own town and at least we (well the council's pot) would be getting something back from the fines in a way.... < runs for tin hat.. blummin' heck who has got it these days >

Also went to riverside retail park and got a parking ticket for £90 I too left the site for short time to look for a cash machine then returned to shop for £2000 pounds worth of furniture.

On return to my car found a parking ticket issued for leaving the site

I did tell the furniture shop manager and also informed him I would not now be buying anything from this site

I like to think I have more class to whinge just because I got a ticket but I know that there is cause and effect, if the people who are managing this car park are fining people for the

smallest infringement then this will get generally known and people will be loathe to come to this site.

Incidentally I feel really sorry for the people who have just popped into the job centre across the road and come back to the car park and got a ticket that they in all probability can I'll afford to pay.I think if anybody was to park up to nip to the job centre then they would park at the end of the car park nearest town, from that position the attendant could see where they were going, so it seems there is plenty of cynicism and little decency in the attendants make up, I hope they are satisfied on a job well done and I hope that they receive the same consideration in their lives as they give to others

Welcome to the forum jaik. Yet another disgruntled customer it seems.

It would be interesting to know just how many people have fallen foul of the 'rules' and received a ticket especialy those like yourself who for a genuine reason have left the car park and also how much these fines have amounted too and WHO keeps (or gets a proportion of) the fine money collected.

Funny you mention cash machines though as when I was shopping there at Christmas the lady infront of me at a till asked for cashback (which the stores around there don't do). She asked if there was a cash machine nearby and was informed that the nearest ones were on Bridge Street a short walk away and was directed accordingly.

I guess she probably got a parking ticket too.

I mentioned about my dad saying my aunt and uncle got a ticket there recently and he went there last Friday (20th Jan). It was still fresh in his mind and as he parked in the pooring rain he saw one of the notices and took a photo from his car.

I presume there are other signs dotted about too but This one DOES NOT mention anything about leaving the site in it's list of 'rules' :roll:

Like he quite rightly said ... if you had read one would you read any or all of the others? I probably wouldn't unless they were staring me in the face. Maybe the other signs do stare you in the face, I don't know, and neither does he as he wasn't going to walk the whole carpark in the pouring rain to check.

IMG_4313.jpg

If nothing else all their signs should be consistent so as to avoid ANY confusion and possible unexpected fine.

Seems to be a standard sign from this company. May be worth spending a little time to look and photograph all the other signs and if none off them mention leaving the site then put a claim in, especially if store staff are advising that you have to leave the site to reach a cash machine. Mind you the staff may be in on it. :unsure:

One of the quotes from their site

In the last 12 months we have seen significant growth of the company thanks to our committed staff and cliental for their recommendations.

Had a quick look at their website and all the signs they show are basically the same as that one.

They are tricky though as the bit that shows the signage is a smallish box and the various signs revolve at a great rate unless you put your mouse over the box.

If there is no mention on any of the signs then we should get a campaign up and advertise for all those who have been caught to put in a claim for false fines to get their money back.

Unfortunately, that will be a no goer. There is a sign as you exit the car park stating that you will be liable to a £90 fine if you leave your car there and go elsewhere.

If it is as you exit and not enter, they cannot enforce that one if the other signs do not mention the fine for leaving because they could not argue that you have been adequately warned/informed of the rules

Evils idea is a good one actually and just for the hell of it we need a volunteer to go down and record the position of all the current signs and take dated photo's of them (and the content) accordingly for all those who have so far received a ticket and who may be eligable for a refund :D

If they are not all consistent and it is possible to miss the ones that Victor mentions then surely that would be enough for all the people who have received tickets to hit out at them (and the retail park owner) in force.

Anyone going tomorrow as it wont take them long to suddenly update all their signs to cover themselve if they are reading this .... :unsure::lol:

I took my camera in the direction of Manchester today instead as it refused to go into Warrington for fear that it may get my other half's car in trouble :lol:

My forced change of plan did turn out to be rather 'dear' though but in a much nice way :D:lol:

I took my camera in the direction of Manchester today instead as it refused to go into Warrington for fear that it may get my other half's car in trouble :lol:

My forced change of plan did turn out to be rather 'dear' though but in a much nice way :D:lol:

Female therapy??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

I would petition all units on the Riverside site, but, it is done for a purpose, however obscure this appears on notices. It's to stop folk parking for free on a shoppers car park, when in reality they may be going to work, or anywhere else in town not connected to these retail units. I would think they will just make the signage better if enough complaints are made, rather than remove the restrictions.

A friend of mine went to the Riverside retail park near Bridge Foot today to go to Homebase. As he was made redundant recently he went over to the Job Centre to sign on, then went to put his job search details back into his car before going into Homebase. When he did so he found a parking ticket on his car, issued because he had `left the site.' He went into Homebase to see if the staff could tell him where to find the parking attendant. They couldn't, but he managed to find him anyway and had a fruitless discussion in which he tried to make it clear that he was a regular visitor to the site and frequently shopped at Homebase. He got nowhere with that, and has lodged an appeal on the car park owner's website

Apparently there are notices on the car park (which he tells me aren't obvious until you stop to read them in detail, and can't be read from your car as you drive in) which say you aren't allowed to leave the site after parking your car. As my friend remarked, who reads the `warning' notices in detail on a car park? They usually contain general advice such as not to leave valuables in your car. Who ever heard - until now - of a restriction on leaving the site when you're a paying customer at the shops? I've never in my life heard of anyone stopping to read car park notices in detail in case they stipulate some bizarre restriction. Nor has my friend, and he says he's never noticed anyone standing reading any of these notices. Well, you wouldn't, would you?

So basically you can't nip across the road for a few minutes when shopping there, much less buy what you want and then go to some other shop in town. And if the shops there don't have what you want, you need to drive off, drive round town and park again before you can shop somewhere else.

We thought I should post this to warn other people, because any normal person could be caught out and fined because of this absurd ruling. I can't remember the last time I parked there, but my friend says he won't be going back - as he pointed out, what's to stop the same parking attendant just saying someone left the site even if they didn't. You have no ticket, nothing to prove your right to park there. All you have is your word against theirs, and it's obvious they're trying to catch people out to fine them.

Point taken. But when other companies want to run a car park and make sure people are using the shops, they bother to install a ticket dispenser and give the shops the option of giving free parking when the ticket is presented to them. Other car parks in Warrington do that.

But CMS just can't be bothered doing all that. Either that, or their intention is to make money from fines. However you look at it, they're not a reputable and responsible parking company.

Point taken. But when other companies want to run a car park and make sure people are using the shops, they bother to install a ticket dispenser and give the shops the option of giving free parking when the ticket is presented to them. Other car parks in Warrington do that.

But CMS just can't be bothered doing all that. Either that, or their intention is to make money from fines. However you look at it, they're not a reputable and responsible parking company.

I couldn't agree more, this is hardly what you would call "promoting a good customer relationship" is it?Car parking is a problem in Warrington, for shoppers and workers, as in most towns and cities. Multi-story parking can be expensive and, in many cases. the park can be some distance from where people want to go. Hence the popularity of the big out of town superstores, where parking is free. The demise of in-town shopping is not helped by action like this, giving parking fines etc. A ticket dispenser scheme would be ideal, with free parking for, say, two hours, if stamped by a retail unit. And it can work to their advantage, ensuring that a purchase is made (however small) in order to get the ticket stamped!