Stargazing Live

sadako

Hope its better than the one we bought our lad some years ago. We could see the moon surface (well sort of) but couldn't see much else with it really.

I have a star named after me so maybe you could look for it and tell me what it's like if yours turns out to be pretty good :D

I've not seen the programme, what channel was/is it on ?

:lol::lol:

It's not called Dizzy though :P Its called "<my name> TMD" and was registered on 25 Dec 1998 and according to my big framed certificate (in my wardrobe) it is at the coordinates of

Cassiopia 3H 12M 05S + 65o 05' 04" ( think it says H and M as it's handwritten )

Anyone got any idea where that is :blink:

:lol::lol:

It's not called Dizzy though :P Its called "<my name> TMD" and was registered on 25 Dec 1998 and according to my big framed certificate (in my wardrobe) it is at the coordinates of

Cassiopia 3H 12M 05S + 65o 05' 04" ( think it says H and M as it's handwritten )

Anyone got any idea where that is :blink:

The 3H 12M 05S is the Sidereal Hour Angle and would be more properly expressed as 45 Degrees 12'05" (an hour being 15 degrees) and it is the angle between the First Point of Aries and the object (measured westwards along the celestial equator) and could be compared to the object's longitude. The 65 Degrees 05' 04" is the Declination or angle above or below the celestial equator and could be compared to the latitude (the + denotes North). These co-ordinates are used by astronomers, and navigators, to pinpoint the position of celestial objects. The First Point of Aries is the point on the celestial equator where the ecliptic crosses at the spring equinox (the ecliptic being the track made accross the celestial sphere by the sun during the year). Clear? :D :grin: :D

Well this is where it gets a bit complicated. If you wanted to know where in the sky to look to see your star, you need an Almanac for the current year. In there you will find the Greenwich Hour Angle of Aries for the time of your observation, and to this you would need to apply the Sidereal Hour Angle of your star and your longitude which will give you the Local Hour Angle of the star thus:

GHA Aries + SHA star + longitude (if west) or - longitude (if east) = LHA star

Now you can calculate, using spherical trigonometry, the altitude of the star at that given time (you need to know your own latitude), and the azimuth (compass bearing). I've never looked but I'm sure there will be a site on the internet that allows you to input the date/time/SHA and give you the altitude and bearing without bothering with books.

Thanks Dizzy, thats given me a little project, I've still got my sextant! Hope you've got a telescope and a reasonably accurate compass? Good luck :D :grin: