Local(ish) Driving Theory Test Centre

Dizzy

Anyone know if there is a Driving Theory Test Centre in Runcorn?

My lads trying to book his theory test which seems to have to be booked online but the DVLA (Direct Gov) website only shows St Helens or Wigan for around here.

His driving instructor said he's sure other students have done it in Runcorn somwhere but we simply can't find it and/or a phone number. :blink:

Ta

Dizzy, my son who is in a similar position to your own looking to arrange his theory test told me last night that his friend recently did his theory test at Sale. Unfortunately I dont have any more detail than that but will try and find out for you.

BR

Ian

For most people, it isn't just a case of catch a bus or catch a train. It is usually more like catch a bus, then catch another bus or a train and often, depending on where your destination is, another bus at the other end. The reason most people now drive is because public transport doesn't take you where you want to go without an awful lot of hassle! Cycling? no thanks, certainly not in the winter and preferably not at all!

Anyone know if there is a Driving Theory Test Centre in Runcorn?

My lads trying to book his theory test which seems to have to be booked online but the DVLA (Direct Gov) website only shows St Helens or Wigan for around here.

His driving instructor said he's sure other students have done it in Runcorn somwhere but we simply can't find it and/or a phone number. :blink:

Ta

Dizzy, I would advise the Wigan test centre, it is 2 minutes walk from the train stationa nd is very easy to locate.

Trains run every qurater past and 27 minutes past the hour from Bank Quay and is only a 10 minute journey.

Remind him he needs to be at the test centre 15 minutes before the actual test, I didn't read that part of the form and nearly missed out

:)

Siverlady

Whilst your preference for driving rather than public transport or cycling is appreciated, I thought that this was about people who as yet are not allowed to drive!

Rod....

I am totally amazed at the fact that I agree with you!!

Before I passed my test (believe it or not) I used to cycle almost everywhere.... I cycled every day from Bewsey (via Orford) to Boteler Grammar School and if it was raining I would try and bum a lift off my dad.... My first job after school was at Paddington House Hotel and I worked split shifts and cycled there and back twice a day from Bewsey

Obviously any cyclist worth his salt in the 70's and early 80's wouldn't be seen dead in Lycra (cos it does look a bit camp) but I did own a pair of cycle clips!!!

:D

Bit of a bugger though as how are kids from round here supposed to easily get to St Helens for a set time if they can't drive. :?

How about they catch a bus or a train or even cycle!

Do you really want me to answer that Rod.

I will though out of politeness....

1) My son would NOT cycle to St Helens NOR WOULD I EVER LET HIM ! It's just not safe and it would take him ages anyway !!

2) Yes a bus/train would be a possibility but as you know all about public transport could you please advise me the times of the various busses/trains from Stockton Heath to St Helens, how long it would take, how many changes (if any) there are and also for the return journey.

3) Could you also advise me of how much a return journey would cost (please include all bus and train fairs as appropriate).

4) and also whether he would be guaranteed to be there for a set time and that there would be no delays, missed busses/trains/links or the likes resulting in him not being there on time.

5) and also how far from the bus stop/train centre is the test centre... walking directions please .

I'd also like to add that my son, like many others, is in college full time although he does get Mondays off. They do not seems to do tests on Monday's (sods law) so had there been a nearer test centre he could have just popped out, done his test, then gone back.

With public transport and the location of the centres I guess he will have to have most of the day (if not all of the day) off... therefore missing out on his valuable coursework and learning.

Thanks for the suggestions though Rod... but daily life will definately be a damn site easier for him and us when he can drive himself and who knows he may even be able to get a job or apprenticeship then too :lol:

Cars... you either have to love them for what they are and what they offer or just hate them eh :wink:

Thanks though :D

Ooops hadn't read all the other posts so

Thanks AppleJunkie, Silver Lady and The Wire The Wire :D

Will look into the Wigan one TWTW as you mentioned, thanks :wink:

PS Baz... go and have a lie down and stop thinking about lycra and clips :lol::P You'd better watch youself there Rod :wink:

PS Baz... go and have a lie down and stop thinking about lycra and clips :lol::P You'd better watch youself there Rod :wink:

Dizzy, I can assure you that the only thing in lycra that would do anything for me would be blonde, 18 and nowhere near a bike!!! :D

Baz, does your young'un cycle everywhere? :wink:

I used to cycle to Ford's at Halewood many years ago when I worked there on shifts for 3 months, but I wouldn't do it now.

As for the bikers flip comments, perhaps he should know the subjects personal itinerary before making such comments. :roll:

Dizzy

I think that you will find that teens driving are far more at risk than teens cycling, especially if previously deprived of any road experience because they have not been allowed to cycle.

For door to door public transport times try the Transport Direct website.

Rgds

Rod

I've just checked the Transport Direct site, very convoluted journeys from Stockton heath to St Helens via bus, train and walking, all taking over an hour, some an hour and a half and that depends on all the connections working. Besides which Rod, it isn't 'door to door'.

I wouldn't be at all happy for a 17/18 year old to attempt such a journey as a one-off on their own, especially when the arrival time for a test is so important.

I don't suppose the transport companies would pay compensation for late arrival and a missed test?