All a twitter -

observer

What the hell as it come to? Diane Abbot allegedly makes some tweet about "whites using divide and rule", presumably in some reference to colonialism; then we get a tsunami of false indignation from the pathetic twitterarchy and politicians; with a demand from Millipede for her to apologise for her "racist" remark. How pathetically juvenile and superficial has our society become, when the PC Police hang onto and disect one's every word, waiting to pounce with cries of "racist"? No doubt, if a white person had made a similiar generalisation about blacks, the PC uproar would have been ten times worse; as a white person, I for one am NOT offended by her remark; it's frankly imo just not that important in the general scheme of things. Perhaps the PC Brigade need to get over themselves, and start addressing more profound issues. :roll:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well apart from the ones shooting each other on the streets of Cairo of course!!

There was no need to raise that. You and I both know that the subject is about racism and the troubles in Cairo was nothing to do with race. Your remark was not in the least funny, considering that people of all shades died fighting together for their rights! :angry:

This ia quote from the Arab Media Community.

I myself lived in Cairo for two years and was shocked over how racist many Egyptians were. I've lost count of the times I was told by Cairenes how Sudanese and blacks are 'lazy', 'monkeys', or 'animals'. Then there was the 'anecdote' of the Sudanese man waiting for the micro bus driver in a Cairo suburb and how he was told by the Egyptian driver that his bus 'was not going to Darfur' and refusing the Sudanese to enter the vehicle.

The full text can be found here Arab media community

Not doubting anyone, but now find myself confused. :unsure::blink:

.... oh bloodly hell here we go. :unsure:

Obs I think your topic may be just about to go off on a tangent even though you or Diane Abbot did not mention Egypt.

Well done Baz and Wolfie :?:blink:

Chuck a bucket of water on the fire afore it gets out of control! :roll::blink:

There was no need to raise that.

I'm afraid I felt there was.... you stated that people in Egypt are all living in harmony when they are clearly not. There were many reasons that people rioted in the UK last year; some were angry at the government, some were angry at each other, and some just wanted a new pair of trainers....The reasons are unimportant if people are rioting.

and you can hardly point at Egypt being the vision of utopia when women do not have equality with men.... now there is something to riot over

.........considering that people of all shades died fighting together for their rights!

I could point you in the direction of the graves of some of my relatives who died both in world war one and two; defending my right to freely express myself

Fact is, we've become so tied up with petty liberal PC thought control, which has now turned into an Orwellian speach control; that most normal folk are hiding in the trench, frightened to pop their heads above the parapet and not bow to these liberal lovely conventions. Free speech is essential to a free society, interference with that freedom can just as easily come from the liberal left as it can from a tyranical right. Suppression of ideas, of thoughts, doesn't negate them, it mereley forces them underground to fester; without those ideas being given the scrutiny of discussion or debate. One would have thought the social media would be a vehicle for such debate; but the national ones appear to be a force for suppression by a twitterarchy clique, with some politicians, like vultures, waiting to zoom in on any carcass brought down by these PC police. If prejudice is open, it can be identified and countered by arguement; much better imo to be verbally assaulted than to be lethaly assaulted. :shock:

Bucket at the ready Algy although like you know mine has a hole in it at the moment and is not very reliable. Can you man the hose just incase I have to go off to refill :wink::lol:

Consider it done Dizz, although it will have to be within the next half hour as I'm off for some shut eye, never mind, I'm sure it will stay alight until morning as Baz and obs are still chucking fuel on. :wink::lol: :lol: :lol:

Well! at least I managed momentarily to divert them off course, although I'm sure the embers will flare up again this morning :wink: . Incidentally Baz a learned gentleman such as yourself should know there is no such a thing as "free speech", the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on libel, slander, obscenity, incitement to commit a crime, etc. :D :grin:

Incidentally Baz a learned gentleman such as yourself should know there is no such a thing as "free speech", the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on libel, slander, obscenity, incitement to commit a crime, etc. :D :grin:

I know.... but my statement did not break any of those rules.....

Are you remotely "offended" by her innaccurate generalisation SL? Perhaps folk would be better employed challenging what is said, rather than how it's said? Much preferable and honest imo, for our politicians and public to say what they actually think and feel, rather than hide behind a PC mask. This ridiculously trivial and superficial verbal straight jacket, is imo killing any possibility of open and honest debate on serious issues. Libel and slander laws are there to protect one individual's reputation against malicious lies of another, even though most can't afford to use the law to protect themselves. But a generalisation about a whole group of people merely requires challenging within the context of the debate in hand - that's politics. And to suppress thoughts and ideas, doesn't dispel them, but rather drives them underground where they can fester unchallenged, and turn into more sinister activities - EG: Muslim Fundimentalism. In France and Germany it's apparently illegal to deny the holocaust; which imo is as stupid as denying Darwinian Evolution; but either can be dispelled by rational debate and in so doing, consign them to terminal decline. So, as the man said - " I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it". :roll:

No Observer, I'm not offended by what was said, it was more a comment on social networking sites and we seem to agree on freedom of speech!

My point is that anyone making any comment on these sites, especially those open to everyone with no restrictions, leaves themselves open to misinterpretation of all kinds plus ridicule, bullying and victimisation of the worst kind. Had the comment been made in a real debate amongst people face to face, it would have been challenged in the proper way, argued for or against and hopefully come to some sort of conclusion without misunderstanding.

Even on this forum, it is clear that people's ideas and comments can be easily misunderstood when you don't see the face of the person making them, so cannot always judge the sentiment behind them. :blink: