Have you used the police tel no. 101 yet?

Geoffrey Settle

I was just wondering if anyone has used the police 101 telephone number yet for non emergencies? I've noticed that Warrington Wordldwide are quoting it all the time often with reference numbers.

If you have what has the service been like?

101 details

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police - when it's less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

What an idiot :lol:

.... and NO, thankfully I have not had to use the 101 number yet although I must admit I had forgoteen about it anyway :oops: Thanks for the reminder Geoff, I shall still a reminder near my phone for future reference.

STICK !! ....rather than 'still' Peter :lol::lol:

If you knew the trouble I was having getting on this god forsaken place to check what you were all moaning about or to comment at the moment you would forgive my little errors. Took me 2 hours to get on to type this but it was well worth it !!

So I repeat ' STICK .... PETER ' (oops luckily it seems to have frozen again although only somewhat temporarily so at least you may have got the jist of it although the full sentence would have been better :P !!!!')

You miss my comments :shock: Bloody hell !!! :unsure::wink:

I don't have much to say anyway these days and I'm staying away from the 20 thing before I say something I shouldn't..... and I swore blind that having bought it I would not use 'the other' as he will ring 101 if I do :wink:

Always got the mobile as backup though if all else fails so I will never be completely gone :lol:

:lol::lol: You wouldn't notice any difference with me though as I do nonsense the pc way anyway... infact I might even be better on my mobi.

Anyway only got about another 4 minutes until it completely locks out again.

Anyone got an old laptop I can borrow PLEASE just so I can post on here.

Ha ha I thought not... byeeeee :lol::lol:

Hey at least mines better than yours then as at least I get about 20 mins or so before mine dies.... :lol: No idea why I'm laughing really as I'm at a complete loss of what to do now. Time for the bin I recon, eek times nearly up I must hit submit before it goes again. Byeeee :lol::unsure:

Hey at least mines better than yours then as at least I get about 20 mins or so before mine dies.... :lol: No idea why I'm laughing really as I'm at a complete loss of what to do now. Time for the bin I recon, eek times nearly up I must hit submit before it goes again. Byeeee :lol::unsure:

Dizz, again I'm probably stating the obvious have you tried system restore in safe mode, if you have just ignore me if you haven't then give it a go!. :blink::D

Dizz, again I'm probably stating the obvious have you tried system restore in safe mode, if you have just ignore me if you haven't then give it a go!. :blink::D

I have restored to various dates Algy, run deep virus checks takin 7 hours, spyware checks infact the lot other than malwarebytes/bits (whatever it's called as that got deleted the other week) and all without any findings or making any difference although I'm still wondering if Virgin Media's new security powered by Trend Micro is causing the problem... but I can't get rid of it no matter how hard I try :blink:

Thanks anyway, much appreciated as always :wink:

Do you think I should call 101 as if it is a security problem maybe THEY can help me :D:lol:

So back to topic and appologies for taking it of track'er' :oops:

Both drives done about 4 weeks ago. I suppose I could do them again incase it is a reportable offence not to.

I'm trying my best to keep Geoff's police 101 topic on track :oops: Maybe anymore chat or suggestions about my problem should be under a new topic but hey I've been online for over 40 minutes now so maybe it only freezes when I stop typing, thinking or looking :D:oops:

I'M SORRY GEOFF... but I have now told my family about the new 101 number that none of them seemed to know about doo dooh be do b'doo b'doo :?:D

Dizz, I realise you had Malwarebytes on previously but it does sound as if you may have a number of malware virus on, here's the link:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Don't think it is classed as advertising as it's free!. :blink:

Read this Dizz

t’s take a closer look at the reasons I think are most common for causing a laptop to keep freezing.

Overheating: If you have a laptop that is a few years old and has been through the grind, there is a good chance that it may be experience overheating problems. You need to understand that because they need to be portable, their hardware components will tend to fail quicker than a desktop computer. If your laptop is freezing after 20 to 30 minutes after turning it on, it could very well be related to overheating. Take a moment to locate the vent where the fan blow air out of your laptop and put your hand in front of it to see if there is any kind of air at all coming out. You may also find that there is a good amount of dust build up on this vent. Don’t be afraid to take some canned air and blow all of the dust out. AWESOME TROUBLESHOOTING TIP: One sure-fire way to pin point overheating as the reason your laptop keeps freezing, is to boot your computer and enter the system setup. This can be done usually by hitting F2 or delete. (This varies depending on the brand of laptop you have) Once you have entered the System Setup, just let your laptop sit there and run. If it eventually freezes up, then I will bet you have overheating issues.

Drivers: Over the years, I have found that laptops are more picky about having drivers that are specifically made for the exact make and model you have. All of the major brands such as HP, Dell, Acer and Sony all have drivers made or designed specifically for their laptops. Not having these specific drivers installed could be a reason why your laptop keeps freezing. The driver I would be most concerned about is your video card driver. So if you have a Dell laptop, then visit their website and download the latest video driver they have for your specific model. It may sometimes be a few years old, but I recommend that you continue to use it because if there was a change that needed to be made to the driver, then they would have updated it. There is a really nice piece of software out there that I would recommend called Driver Scanner. It will work behind the scenes to make sure your computers hardware drivers are up to date. If this is something you don’t want to have to worry about, then download it and try it out.

Windows Registry:There is no difference at all when it comes down to a desktop computer’s registry or a laptop’s registry. No matter which one you have, it doesn’t take long for the registry to start to get ‘cluttered’. So how does this happen you might ask? Well, every time you install a new application or download a cool new game, there are entries made into your laptops registry. Let’s say you download a cool game and install it. After 3 weeks of playing it, you get bored with it and decide to uninstall it. Well, even after you uninstall it more than likely there will still be several registry entries left in your computer. Over time, these tend to build up and can cause things like laptop freezes, weird errors or just slow your laptop down in general. This is where a good registry cleaner comes into play. There aren’t many out there that I truly recommend, but one that I do recommend is called Registry Booster. It is most certainly one of the most effective registry cleaners on the market, and they have the reputation to back it up as well. Download Registry Booster – Free Scan Here.

Operating System: If you have done your troubleshooting and have found that your laptop is not overheating and the drives are up to date with the manufactures recommended drivers, then you need to consider that you may have corrupted operating system files. This could be the reason your laptop keeps freezing. One thing that I can never stress too much is when you purchase a laptop, keep everything that comes with it. By that I mean, keep all of the disks. Too many times, when a person is having problems with their laptop and they need to perform a system repair or reinstall the OS, they never have the CD’s that came with the laptop. Don’t let that person be you! If you laptop is blue-screening on you, or if it is locking up hard but not rebooting, then you most likely have an OS issue. I would recommend doing a Windows Repair on your system. Take note, you do not want to do a whole system restore because if you do this, you will lose all of your data. (That last sentence will be the topic of another whole post).

So to recap, if your laptop keeps freezing, then I would first look at overheating as being the source especially if your laptop is more than 2 years old. Next, take a look at the drivers. Make sure you have the manufacturers recommended drivers installed. If these two things check out, then you may be having some problems with the Operating System files. I would recommend doing a Windows Repair. This takes about 30 minutes to do and you will not lose any of your data or programs.

:lol::lol:

Ha ha to you two :P Correction though.. I don't have a laptop anyway as my terminal problem is desktop related and it is impossible for me to lock myself in my car otherwise I wouldn't need a new lock :P

Looking on the bright side though I've just managed to get my maggot to start up temporarily (I used to call it a beastie but things change) and what do I find ... A SPAMMER.. that the other two mods haven't bothered to delete.

You just can't get the staff these days (either paid or not). They should club together and buy me a new PC if they can't hack it on their own :wink: