Spoilt brats?!

observer

Seems Teacher's Unions have employed "experts" to research and tell us something else we already knew:- spoilt kids are disrupting life in our primary schools, thanks to the inabilty of their parents to say "NO", and give 'em a clip round the lug-hole. :roll: Even the Army are finding such articles as recruits, needless to say - they don't last 5 minutes. :confused: Seems Ester Ranzen and a generation of whimpish parents have got a lot to answer for. :x

The following from the Daily Mail highlights the problem:

"A nurse at a leading independent girls school was sacked after smacking her 10 year old son at home because he swore at her.

Susan Pope, 45, was arrested, questioned and spent a night in the cells but no charges were brought.

But the incident did lead to social services placing the boy and his younger sister on the Child Protection Register.

And then Mrs Pope was suspended as senior nurse at Malvern St James Girls School in Worcestershire before being sacked for gross misconduct."

If I was Mrs Pope, I would take the school to an industrial tribunal...what she did at home...and given no charges were brought...being sacked for gross misconduct seems unfair to me.

[ 22.03.2008, 19:58: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Part 2 of the saga which answers Wolfie's question:

"Mrs Pope said she is appalled her career was wrecked because of "rumour and innuendo" resulting from her disciplining one of her children for being naughty.

It was the boy's elder brother who reported her to the police.

Mrs Pope said: "I smacked my son on the bottom through his clothes in our home after he swore at me after I'd already warned him about his behaviour.

"Children need boundaries. I'm not a politically correct person who thinks you should never smack a child, I think it has a place.

"My eldest son was 15 at the time and going through a bad teenage rebellion and though I adore him he was in bad company and really went off the rails.

"His behaviour became appalling and our 10 year old started mimicking him.

"On the day in question I'd told the younger boy to do something, he told me to 'F*** off' and I warned him about his behaviour and he did it again and so I smacked him on the bottom.

"My eldest son snatched him from the house and went and called the police."

A week later Mrs Pope, who worked at the school for seven years, and her husband Folke, 48, a chartered surveyor, who witnessed the incident in May last year, were both arrested.

"We were held for 32 hours. I was questioned for an hour and a half and my husband for four hours," Mrs Pope said."

This is the sort of thing that's bringing our country to its knees. The sooner we vote in a government that will get rid of this ridiculous and damaging legislation on smacking children the better for every one.

I am happy to tell you that if one of my children had sworn at me I would have "wiped the floor" with them - and so would their father. My children were not abused, ill-treated or deprived but they behaved responsibly and well.

This woman should be reinstated and a full apology made to her by her employers and by the police who held her overnight for being, in my opinion, a good parent.

I dont thnk it should have got that ...but couldnt she have done something more punishing like grounded him or whatever took pocket money away or something actually disiplined the lad.......at 15 they are of an age where you can hurt them by doing other things other than hitting them. :roll:

See now, I Don't think that hitting should be a last resort, I think it should be actioned early in the unrest.

If you leave it till its last resort it usualy means that your patience has reached its limit.

I have alway employed this method

1. Do it one more time and you'll get a smack

2. Smack!!

This is all done without the need for me to get frustrated, which is the consequence of kids experimenting with boundaries. Which is the consequence of being leinient with warnings, or the heart to carry out your threats.

once this fixed "one waring" then "smack" gets established as an everytime event, kids soon know where they stand and know not to push the boudaries as they are clearly defined.

the smack can be measured as I am not at my witts end or enraged at this point.

Their mother on the other hand has more trouble with them because they do not know how far they can get away with it before she smacks (even to me its a guessing game) , possibly loosing her temper...which is something not good for you or the child. the nanny state would promote that parents should not smack their child, but does not promote alternatives and stress avoidance.

my eldest has not had a smack since he was about 5 (now approaching his 14th birthday), he knows where he stands.

I have established a regime where I do not need to smack ever with him.

• 2 weeks later...
"Well, I think I would take the 15 year old to Social Services and dump him there, saying: "he remains at risk of good hidings at home - you take him and see if he responds to the naughty step routine."
Unfortunately this won't work. About 18 months ago we were going through a terrible stage with our 15 year old. Getting arrestted, drinking, exluded from school etc etc. We contacted social services and told them that we were going to throw him out as we could take no more and it wasn't fair for his younger brothers to have to live with it. They told us we would be done for abondoning a minor and as they had no record of him or us then there wasn't anything they could do.

I agree with Steve loads of teenage lads and older go through this phase - they come out of it eventually although some of us take longer than others.

Hopefully he's not still in that phase, the problem is it often coincides when lads are due to sit their exams.

Did you say that his school had been able to help you or not?

[ 06.04.2008, 10:53: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

Obs

My lad was brought up that way and he just got in with the wrong crowd,If you knew half the story then you would not say such things.. you are blaming the parents but it isnt always the parents fault..we care about our kids and what they do but you cant be with them 24// and dictate where they go and who they hang about with.

Steve

Since the start of the year he does now seem to be growing up, he has a girlfiend and a job. He is now 17 and seems to be going back to the great lad he was before he turned 13. We are still sat waiting for the police to turn up at the door though every time he goes out, not sure how long it will be before we are able to trust him completely.

He has a new group of mates who are his age and not a few years older. We still have silly tantrums but he is at least listening to me and his Dad now and not trying to fight us all the time.

I do think though that not being able to give them a quick slap when they start acting up has a lot to do with the attitude of the teenagers these days. I sound really old but i'm not and I remember quite clearly getting a clip round the ear from my Dad if we played up and it certainly never did us any harm. We also would never of dreamed of quoting the human rights acts at him.