Religion & Politics?

observer

Should religion have any bearing on the way we're governed? Call me Dave seems to think the Church should be more vocal in imparting a sense of morality throughout society and is talking about tax breaks for married couples, in order to encourage traditional standards to life styles and relationships. And if organised religion shouldn't be a part of our political governance; is it time that their automatic access to representation in the House of Lords was ended? :unsure:

OBS It maybe a case of pouring oil on troubled water and depends on the ecclesiastical chemical bonding and the severity of the political storm. :rolleyes:

It all depends on how extreme, fanatical that the proposals are:

Just found this quote on Wiki

The terms extremism or extremist are almost always exonymic — i.e. applied by others to a group rather than by a group labelling itself. Rather than labelling themselves extremist, those labelled as such might describe themselves as, for example, political radicals. There is no political party that calls itself "right-wing extremist" or "left-wing extremist", and there is no sect of any religion that calls itself "extremist" or which calls its doctrine "extremism

I think that you need to be very careful mixing the two - some can do it well but history shows that it can be fraught with problems.

Politics and religion are a bit like catalysts and when combined can cause an uncontrollable reaction. It doesn’t mean you can mix them but it does mean you have to take great care whatever you mix them with.

A bit like your goodself OBS :mrgreen::rolleyes:

Well that was utter confused nonesense Geoff; best stick to litter picking! :D First thing to ask: is there a correlation between morality and organised religion? And a quick flick through any history book will dismiss that theory. However, the next question is: should governance have a moral compass? :unsure:

Re fundamentalists - I have never met any believer who is as unwielding and unwilling to listen to another's point of view, and as determined to push their doctrine as many atheists are.

Organised religion has no place in our legislature - and the bishops should be removed frpom the house of lords* along with all the other political placemen and herditary legacies, and that, definitely, includes those convicted of fiddling their expenses who are free to waltz back in. If you aint been voted in you shouldn;t be there.

Merry Xmas

* which should be fully elected and be accountable through the ballot box with members facing re-elcetion every five years.

Re fundamentalists - I have never met any believer who is as unwielding and unwilling to listen to another's point of view, and as determined to push their doctrine as many atheists are.

Organised religion has no place in our legislature - and the bishops should be removed frpom the house of lords* along with all the other political placemen and herditary legacies, and that, definitely, includes those convicted of fiddling their expenses who are free to waltz back in. If you aint been voted in you shouldn;t be there.

Merry Xmas

* which should be fully elected and be accountable through the ballot box with members facing re-elcetion every five years.

Now where have we heard that before and which poster said it. :D

Peter, I want a democracy, and not people who's ancestors fought for William the Conqueror! , and think they have a Devine right to pass laws. The least that can be done into get rid of the last of the hereditary peers.

Wonderbar. lol. I wasn't referring to you. However, has life been that bad for you that you want someone else to control it? Has the fact that not being in the Euro totally ruined your life? Has the fact that a foreign country wants to change your laws made things look better?

Sadly, we should have listened to de Gaul's "NON" instead of buying in to a "Common Market" that has now become a Federal State of Europe. Get real. Clegg wants it because of his European family connections, not because it is good for the UK.

Get real Peter, as most of our trade is with Europe and our banks have money invested in Europe we are in it, leaving the EU would be bad for manufacturing and the city?

Deutsche Bank AG is one of the biggest employers in the city of London, they could and probably would move to Frankfurt if we were out of the EU. You would not need many banks to leave the city for them to loose their place as the biggest outside of Wall Street.