Six geese a-laying,

Five gold rings,

Four colly birds,

Three French hens,

Two turtle doves, and

A partridge in a pear tree.

WHAT IS A COLLY BIRD?? :unsure:

Colly birds? They are birds that round up sheep! :lol:

The line 4 calling birds, believe it or not is an americanization of 4 colly birds.

Colly means black, as in coal is black, hence the name collier for coal miners, so colly birds are blackbirds, which can be very vocal in defending it's patch, especially at breeding times. :D

I expect the true love would have liked the recipient to have baked him a pie. :lol:

Colly birds? They are birds that round up sheep! :lol:

The line 4 calling birds, believe it or not is an americanisation of 4 colly birds.

Colly means black, as in coal is black, hence the name collier for coal miners, so colly birds are blackbirds, which can be very vocal in defending it's patch, especially at breeding times. :D

I expect the true love would have liked the recipient to have baked him a pie. :lol:

Incorrect Cleo!, Colly birds are those that nest in the branches of the Cauliflower tree with the misspelling due to the Americanis(z)ation of the word pronounced as Collyflower especially in the southern states where the plant is used as a bouquet at wedding ceremonies. :D

Must say you are all wrong and it is collared birds.

This was usually a domestic bird bred for table and secured by a small leather collar so that it would be easily recognised in the rest of the flock as being the one saved especially for the festive feast and so not sold or used before the festive celebration.

The fact that four were sent to the true love signifies that they either had a large family to feed or was a sign of wealth on the part of the sender. A case of "Look I can afford to give away four birds that we were to have for the festive season and so would be able to support you in a grand manner".

So now you have seen the three entries on this posts edition of call my bluff who are you going to plump for. :unsure:

This was usually a domestic bird bred for table and secured by a small leather collar so that it would be easily recognised in the rest of the flock as being the one saved especially for the festive feast and so not sold or used before the festive celebration.

Not a bondage reference then? :twisted::wink:

The fact that four were sent to the true love signifies that they either had a large family to feed or was a sign of wealth on the part of the sender. A case of "Look I can afford to give away four birds that we were to have for the festive season and so would be able to support you in a grand manner".

So now you have seen the three entries on this posts edition of call my bluff who are you going to plump for. :unsure:

Thought that was a "Collared Dove" Sid. :D

Originally a Pagan Festival, taken over by the Christians, now taken over by the Retail Industry! :wink:

What!! singing the carol - "The Twelve Days of Christmas" or fastening collars on birds, Come! Come! obs your slipping old chap it's not like you not to read the the post subject before replying. :D :grin: :D

I would have though you would have all know what a collie bird was being the clever sorts.

It is basically just a bird that is black ie a black bird.

Coal = Black.... Coal = Colliery ... and people couldn't spell so it got know/written as a Colly Bird :P

... numpties :lol::P

I would have though you would have all know what a collie bird was being the clever sorts.

It is basically just a bird that is black ie a black bird.

Coal = Black.... Coal = Colliery ... and people couldn't spell so it got know/written as a Colly Bird :P

... numpties :lol::P

READ THE REPLIES, READ THE REPLIES Dizz, keep up will you, Cleo explained that at 0331 hrs this morning. :roll:

Whatever the definition, the recipient got a bit peed off with all the noise, and the bird droppings from four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge all over the house! :lol::lol::lol:

..... but he would have had one heck of a Christmas dinner! :blink:

I wasn't awake at 0331 hrs Algy although I was at 05.30.... and I haven't been all 'awake' all day, You try having migraine swirly eyes and keeping up it not bloody easy you know but at least I tried :blink::roll:<_<:lol:

Sorry Dizz!, (genuinely) I sympathise with you over the migraine's as although I don't have them regularly but I do have occasional attacks, nasty and they lay me low, tends to give me tunnel vision with zig-zag lines each side of the tunnel if that makes sense. :oops: Back to topic, why have Americans substituted "colly" for "blackbirds", not as if they don't have blackbirds over there, they do. :blink:

Hey! just had a brainwave :idea: , only got the one so don't expect any more for a while!, is that why the called coal miners "Colliers" and they worked in a "Colliery" and ships carrying cargoes of coal were also called "Colliers", getting the hang of this now. :D :grin: