Warrington Bus service

Geoffrey Settle

Has anyone factored in the costs of running a car, Insurance, tax, depreciation etc? How much does it cost to run a car these days?

1968 Ford Corsair: Free Tax, Fully comp insurance £97.00 per year.... (2500 miles restriction)

cheaper than a bus and a very good talking point!!

other car; Insurance £440 per year fully comp, £460.00 per year car tax (Band M) 40-50 per gallon.

Even the big car gives pretty good value; plus I don't have to stuggle with loads of bags on a bus as the car has a boot the size of Belgium!! :D

Ignoring depreciation. Tax,insurance and fuel for a day for me works out at around £3.50 per day. (that is saying that I only spend £10.00 per week on fuel which is probably twice what i actually spend on fuel at present) if I don't use the car on any day then take off £1.40 that would be used in fuel and I pay 2.10 pence to have it standing outside my house doing nothing.

(and before anybody says but rusting away. my motor is made of abs plastic and aluminium with only a very few parts that will rust.)

Maybe I should use it more to get my moneys worth out of it. (and give the government a bit more fuel duty to use for cycle lanes and bus lanes) <_<

:mrgreen: I'm an opportunist driver - got rid of mine (well gave it back when I left my previous job) - I share car insurance with my two ladies one of whom is my daughter - I use their cars when they they let me.

In between it's the bus and shank's poney. As my daughter is away studying abroad I've taken her car off the road and claimed back the tax and cancelled the insurance until she returns -

Yorkshire in name Yorkshire in nature. :mrgreen:

Today's episode from the exploits of Warrington's Award Winning Bus Service.

Glazebury is on the Warrington/Leigh routes and is scheduled to receive a bus every 15 minutes throughout the day. The 19 via Croft/Winwick and the 28 via Birchwood/Padgate.

Two buses ran through between 10am & 11am; a 19 and 28 together at 10.43am. They played leapfrog to Leigh doing pickups at alternate stops.

On a return journey in the afternoon it was a similar exercise but due to the game of leapfrog enjoyed by the drivers some passengers were presented with the 19 while the 28, which was the one they wanted hopped past,and vice versa.

The only time the time table is accurate is Sunday evening after the last bus has run.

It would be interesting to see the criteria for winning this perennial award the Company seems to win.

:shock: Did you mention waiting till saturday to use the free bus?

And wasn't it you who wrote in a post earlier that free bus rides for pensioners should be stopped? :blink::roll:

Yes I did Cleo... but you have clearly missed my point :P

I only use the free xmas bus twice a year and it's part of my festive fun and also due to the fact that it's hard to park in Warrington in the few weeks before xmas and it costs a lot. Pensionners get free travel all year <_<

Now if the busses cost say 50p a trip instead of £1.40 then I would use them more and I'd happily pay 50p for the xmas bus too.

It can't be cost effective to run almost empty busses most of the year though can it just because some people don't use them due to the cost and others use them cos they are free. Saying that if we all used the busses the town's car parks wouldn't make as much money so maybe they don't want us to bus it really :wink:

I bet more than half the people this week have paid nothing in fares so why should I have to pay more to subsidise them? The same could be said for prescription charges but I guess that's a different topic all together so lets stick to the busses !

Yeah I know...... Bah humbug :blink::lol::lol:

Dizzy, I have a bus pass and used it today to get to Town Centre and you are right there were very few paying passengers. I would be happy to pay 50p per journey instead of getting a "freebie" but I don't use the bus that often. With some "oldies" though it is their only method of transport so it would be more expensive for them. You also mentioned free prescriptions for over sixties. Here again I would not object to paying a small charge to offset the £7.20 per item that younger ones have to pay. It's another cock eyed system where 80% of the population(under 16 and over 60) don't pay and 20% are charged far too much !!!

Anyway back to the buses..................freebie rides are great.

Dizzy, will you be applying for your "Free Bus Pass" when you become a Pensioner?

A definate NO Peter.... as I'll hopefully have saved up enough for my my orange or lime green lamborghini diablo by then :D:D If not then I'll just have to dust off my roller blades :wink:

And most of these seemed to be travelling for free with their bus passes eh ? :?

Just think how much the bus company could have made if those who could afford to pay paid a bit and how that money could be used to lower fares in general to entice us others to use busses more often too.

Not all pensionners are hard up !!!

OUCH I feel a sudden slating coming my way by some <_<:unsure:

And most of these seemed to be travelling for free with their bus passes eh ? :?

Just think how much the bus company could have made if those who could afford to pay paid a bit and how that money could be used to lower fares in general to entice us others to use busses more often too.

I bet those that are not hard up go by car to M & S at Gemini. No buses for them.

There is a big bus stop right outside M&S at Gemini.... and the buses run from town there too

I can't believe that the affluent are going to walk to the bus stop in the rain, sleet or snow, and carry their shopping bags laden with food etc to the bus stop, when they can jump into their big cars and drive there.

Can just see them leaving IKEA with some flat packs and trying to get on the bus with them. :D

I completely disagree with you on this one, Dizzy.

As the proud new owner of a shiny buss pass, I don't think that affording/not affording comes into it.

Work-wise, I got over 40 years in, working, paying my way and paying my taxes. In return, I get some 'senior' allowances, including a bus pass.

I have my bus pass and I intend to use it whenever I can.

I saw the other day that 125,000 families in this county have never worked. Why should I give up something I paid for, for people who have never worked and have lived on benefits all their lives?

Answers on a postcard please?