Latchford Old Old railway station

harry hayes

Someone was telling me about a second railway station in Latchford (not the one overlooking the Grammar school fields), but nearby.

Any takers?

Happy days

Harry as far as I am aware there have been two stations in Latchford, one on the railway deviation on the banking after the canal had been built and the old one on the old line, as you say opposite Grammar School Road, photos below.

LatchfordStationwiththebankforthedeviationrailwayinthebackground-5thMay1890.jpg

1890sLatchfordstation.jpg

1891LatchfordoldstationbeingswallowedupbythenewManchesterShipcanal-1.jpg

Cracking pictures Algy :D

Odd but on the bottom picture the dug out looks a lot more imposing and much deeper than other photo's I've seen

Sorry not wanting to detract form Harry's question :oops:

I can see the bottom two are the same location due to the station and buildings but I can't quite get my bearing on the first one. Is that the same or differen't ?

Cracking pictures Algy :D

Odd but on the bottom picture the dug out looks a lot more imposing and much deeper than other photo's I've seen

Sorry not wanting to detract form Harry's question :oops:

I can see the bottom two are the same location due to the station and buildings but I can't quite get my bearing on the first one. Is that the same or differen't ?

Both photos show a flat fixed wooden bridge spanning the canal, the first photo was taken from the east side of the bridge (and the station)at an early stage of the excavation, the second photo was taken from the west side of the bridge (and the station) at a stage where the canal looks to be at about it's final depth to give 28 feet of water depth, this photo was taken from the cantilever high level bridge, this bridge was completed prior to the filling of the canal with water. The bridge being built in the first photo is the Grammar School Road bridge, the bridge in the railway embankment opposite the swing bridge in the second photo is the Knutsford Road bridge. Hope I have not confused you Dizz. :blink:

Confused .com

Is that on Loushers Lane as opposed to the one that was where the garden centre was?

Correct Peter, the old station was approx where Warrington towns football ground is, the one where the garden centre was, was the new station. I stand corrected it was just where Beers building suppliers used to be.

I'm confused as well.

Algy, your knowledge astounds me. I'm a simple chap so can you help me out?

I know the former Cantilver Garden Centre site was one of the stations but wher exactly would I need to stand today to be on the other station?

Travelling from Latchford village on Knutsford Road, approaching the swing bridge turn right into Station Road, the entrance to the station would have been on the left hand side approx 10 to 20mtrs beyond the opening to the turning of Grammar School Road - see "X" in the photo, ex Grappenhall Road prior to the building of the canal - see the map.

ScreenShot001-2.jpg

LatchfordStations.jpg

I was born and raised in this station it was a grand old house and very imposing to look at.

My Mum and Dad spent many hours tending the large garden(it was their pride and joy)and they used to give loads of flowers to Latchford Methodist Church.

I was born in 1950 and lived there until I got married,then as their children had flown the nest my parents downsized to the Old Gate Keepers cottage at the bottom of our garden(1971) and the Timber Company swiftly demolished the grand old building to expand the company.This was such a callous act and another part of Latchfords rich heritage was destroyed as was the norm in the late 60's & early 70's totally scandalous ! And what do we have now ? Something resembling a bomb site... Very very sad.

I was born and raised in this station it was a grand house and very imposing to look at.

My Mum and Dad spent many hours tending the large garden(it was their pride and joy)and used to give loads of flowers to Latchford Methodist Church.

I was born there in 1950 and lived there till I got married,then as the children had flown the nest my parents downsized to the Old Gate Keepers cottage at the bottom of our garden(1971) and the Timber Company swiftly demolished the grand old building to expand the company.This was such a callous act and another part of Latchfords rich heritage was destroyed as was the norm in the late 60's & early 70's and when my parents passed on they did the same to the cottage(1977) totally scandalous ! And what do we have now ? Something resembling a bomb site... Very very sad.

L.L. This has happened time again across this town with fine residential buildings being reduced to rubble without any consideration for the heritage of our area!.

I'm sure that you have seen this photo, If you have any others you could post on here there are many members including myself who would be grateful to see them.

Sorry!!, just realised I had uploaded the photo earlier in this topic, but Hey Ho! put it down to age, here it is again. :D:oops:

L.L. This has happened time again across this town with fine residential buildings being reduced to rubble without any consideration for the heritage of our area!.

I'm sure that you have seen this photo, If you have any others you could post on here there are many members including myself who would be grateful to see them.

My Dad was given the (virtually)derelict building in 1940 with a lifelong tenancy as long as he continued in the employ of the M.S.C co.

It had no sewage connection and was only lit by gas light etc.

Over 20 long hard years he transformed it into a veritable palace(obviously the one I remember) and then some faceless buisiness person sends in the bulldozers and in 2 days there was no sign it had ever been there.

Dad was distraught and never seemed to get over this until he passed away a few short years later.

When Mum died in 1977 the bulldozers completed their task of eradicating all memories of a heritage now lost forever.

All my personal pictures were lost a long time ago and I would give anything for some post 1950 photos but have yet to find any.

• 3 weeks later...

My Dad was given the (virtually)derelict building in 1940 with a free lifelong tenancy as long as he continued in the employ of the M.S.C co.

It had no sewage connection and was only lit by gas light etc.

Over 20 long hard years he transformed it into a veritable palace(obviously the one I remember) and then some faceless buisiness person sends in the bulldozers and in 2 days there was no sign it had ever been there.

Dad was distraught and never seemed to get over this until he passed away a few short years later.

All my personal pictures were lost a long time ago and I would give anything for some post 1950 photos but have yet to find any.

What an absolutely fascinating piece of local history and made even more so by LL’s direct involvement.

As usual, a big well done to Algy and the others for bringing this to us.

Bill :)

I can't help but wonder if young people were taught at school about their local history whether it would make them realise the history that surrounds them in the local area, and it would somehow give them a sense of actually belonging to a community and maybe even instill in them an interest and affection for where they live,rather than just look upon the area as somewhere they just happen to be growing up in.

A pride in where they come from could even have beneficial effects on the community as a whole who knows.

But of course with"modern teaching methods"maybe it would be scorned by the education think tankers :?

I can't help but wonder if young people were taught at school about their local history whether it would make them realise the history that surrounds them in the local area, and it would somehow give them a sense of actually belonging to a community and maybe even instill in them an interest and affection for where they live,rather than just look upon the area as somewhere they just happen to be growing up in.

A pride in where they come from could even have beneficial effects on the community as a whole who knows.

But of course with"modern teaching methods"maybe it would be scorned by the education think tankers :?

Steady LL, common sense isn't allowed in this day and age.