Strike Day -

observer

Correct Adrian, folk are living longer on average; although with cuts in the NHS and the rise in obesity etc, that may not always be the case! However, an additional 3% contribution (NOT recommended in Hutton's report), is being levied on public sector workers, which will go directly to the Treasury and NOT into their pension pot - in other words, additional taxation to pay for the mess the bankers have left us. As the Chancellor originally said - "we're all in it together", and I'll go along with that; but the problem is we're not "all in it together"; notable exemptions are the very folk who caused the mess and those with the obscene levels of income that can afford to take a greater part of the strain. :mellow: :mellow:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So perhaps the unions should be picketing the banks?

As for desperation, they get conned by the Union leaders, who see it as an opportunity to attack the Tories. Some things never change. Going back to the 60's mentality will not help anyone. In those days the unions would keep demanding more and more and wouldn't stop until they closed companies down, and before you say anything it did happen.

Union leaders are no different to bankers or politicians when it comes to money. ALL fat cats, who don't feel the pain of others.

IF they really cared, they would get the public on their side, instead of letting them read it in the papers or hear it on the news.

And given the poor service that they provide, they should be embarrassed to go on strike.

Talking to a neighbour yesterday who works for the council, who couldn't understand WHY they had gone on strike as the Pensions were generous.

Do we have any true figures to consider and form an opinion? :shock:

I think what galls me most is the demand to retire at 60. Everyone is living longer and doing this puts a greater strain on the pension pot as it is. No union has yet conceeded this part of the package despite acturial evidence universally supporting this. Everyone whatever business is going to have to work longer end of.

Most public sector pension schemes have increased the normal pension age from 60 to 65 for new entrants, in line with most private sector schemes. Only the armed forces, police and fire schemes have kept theirs below 65, reflecting the physical demands of these jobs.

Talk about arguing over the crumbs Pierre; there was a prog about PFIs the other night; and the guy in charge of the investment company was on £8.5 million a year - but I guess you'd say he works hard, well he certainly makes a good profit - 70% on one scheme in London, which has first call on the NHS budget. Time to get out of that bubble. :rolleyes:

Talk about arguing over the crumbs Pierre; there was a prog about PFIs the other night; and the guy in charge of the investment company was on £8.5 million a year - but I guess you'd say he works hard, well he certainly makes a good profit - 70% on one scheme in London, which has first call on the NHS budget. Time to get out of that bubble. :rolleyes:

So who is at fault? The guy for charging mega bucks and getting away with it or the fools who paid the money? Did he pay tax on that money?

As for crumbs, that's rich coming from someone who when in office, chased the crumbs but ignored the bigger savings possibilities. :roll:

Presumably, he paid 50% tax, which still left him with an obscene £4million; and some of these sharks we're being employed (as well - at the same time) as consultants to the Treasury, that just happened to be advising the politicians of the cost benefits of PFI. Who's to blame, well obviously corrupt and incompetant Government, but also those with the peasant attitude to not only tolerate it, but claim somehow critics are just motivated by jealousy; whilst reserving their jealousy for other peasants who just happen to have a better pension arrangement or working conditions than they have. As to your last remark, you clearly havn't got a clue as to what your talking about. :roll:

If I thought that I was an expert, I would call myself observer.

Is it ok for an NHS consultant at Warrington General to be employed by Spire at the same time that he is working for WG?

Pontificating about it on here won't change it. Perhaps you should take to the streets again CAP in hand and convince the voters.

In most cases of people getting massive salaries/bonuses, it is because their accountants tell them to do it to avoid paying massive taxes.

When you reach a certain level, more begets more

No chance Pierre, if one has to struggle with the likes of you, there's little hope relying on the rest of the peasants! :wink:

Perhaps the problem is, that I look at both sides and don't take the attitude "he's got more money than me, it's not fair."

Still, to make you feel better towards the lower paid, you could always refuse to accept one of your pensions, ie the WBC one.

Funny really, we have people running the country and Warrington who don't listen to the peasants because they "think" that they know better. :roll:

It is amazing how fast "friends" disappear when you are no longer part of the collective though Peter....

Paul Kennedy found it the opposite way; as an independant, he couldn't get elected but put on the blue rosette and "Bingo" one seat on the council....

Party politics are what is killing the local council....