Let's call time on the monarchy

Nick Tessla

Unfortunately, being born in the right bed, appears to be the sole qualification of a Monarch; anachronistic to say the least. However, as the cost and pomp of alternate systems can be just as high, and the sycophancy that it encourages; it may be the least worst option available. After all, elected politicians havn't really proved to be pinnacles of virtue, and selection by birth, rather than election, means that the only crowd pleasing needed is a Royal wave from a horse drawn carriage, accompanied by a quaintly dressed entourage; which has the advantage of bringing in the tourists. So perhaps the answer for the 21st Century, would be to rationalise/simplify the cost-benefits, to ensure the balance of fiscal benefit goes to the State. Hence, a more austere approach, in line with modern times. :unsure:

Unfortunately, being born in the right bed, appears to be the sole qualification of a Monarch; anachronistic to say the least. However, as the cost and pomp of alternate systems can be just as high, and the sycophancy that it encourages; it may be the least worst option available. After all, elected politicians havn't really proved to be pinnacles of virtue, and selection by birth, rather than election, means that the only crowd pleasing needed is a Royal wave from a horse drawn carriage, accompanied by a quaintly dressed entourage; which has the advantage of bringing in the tourists. So perhaps the answer for the 21st Century, would be to rationalise/simplify the cost-benefits, to ensure the balance of fiscal benefit goes to the State. Hence, a more austere approach, in line with modern times. :unsure:

obs, you have taken the words right out of my mouth although rather more eloquently, as you say the role of the Monarchy requires bringing up to-date, to me there is a vast difference in retaining some of the colourful pageantry that brings in revenue from tourism and having a system that is based on an archaic tradition that is expensive and wasteful especially in these austere times.

Having read that through I think that is what you have already said, however I shall leave it posted!! :roll:

Strange how there isn't the same moan about giving hundreds of millions in overseas aid where there is NO return on the money.

I wonder if the knockers would do the Queens job that was thrust upon her? And she probably works a lot harder than anyone on here and HAS to be polite at all times.

Just wait until you get Queen Camilla, then you will really have something to moan about.

:blink: Certainly, Charles is already into his old age. By the time our Gracious Queen (long may she reign) dies he will be well into his old age and ready to pop his clogs himself. Rather like King Edward VII who reigned for only nine years before he died, after the death of his mother, Queen Victoria. :mellow:

Phew - can cancel that room at the tower now :)

Besides genetics there are other factors which affect longevity - in the case of Edward VII, among other things, he was a heavy smoker, as I believe was George VI - as far as I am aware Charles Windsor is a non-smoker.

Another can of worms being opened here I think. The smokophobes have woken up! :shock: :shock: :shock: