Let's call time on the monarchy

Nick Tessla

A number of events are taking place in 2012. The Preston Guild, the Olympics and, bizarely, "celebrations" to mark the unelected head of state, in a modern "democracy", being in her post for 60 years.

She is in that position not because she was annointed by god but because her ancestors were the most succesful gangsters and, more recently, the establishment's disapproval of her uncle's lovelife.

In a country that wishes to be a democracy, any head of state should be elected. There should, of course , be nothing to stop Liz Windsor, her offspring, or their spouses, standing for election.

The excuse that the monarchy is purely symbolic has been weakened by the recent revelations that Charles Windsor is offered the right to veto legislation.

But, I hear some say, I bet you'll be taking advantage of the extra bank holiday. Of course I will- but I also enjoy spending time with my family during May bank holidays withoiut feeling obliged to dance around a maypole.

Get rid of this nonsense ( and have a fully elected upper chamber in Parliament). this is the 21st century and we are supposed to be a democracy.

• Downvote 2

I think you'll find that our good relations with many of the countries in the world are because of the very hard work done by our monarch, both at home and on her travels, not in spite of her! If there was a choice (and thank goodness there isn't), I would much prefer to rely on our Queen than any of the democratically elected (as you put it) representatives that we have at present. None of them, in either house, have any idea of how to lead this country. Long live the Queen!

Interesting comments Nick, I think you would enjoy working with one of my colleagues.

On the run up to William & Kate's nuptials he pointed out that there was no way he would be taking a day off just because the eldest offspring from a bunch of inbred German tourists have decided to get married.

Just for the record there were only three people (out of 107) in our company who took the day off.

I worked on the wedding day too - but not because of any paranoid prejudice against the monarchy - simply because the work was there to be done!

The Queen and even Prince Charles are worth a lot more to our economy than these pathetic, envious anti-Royalists are! And do they really think that an elected second chamber would be any better than the elected first chamber?

Not a description of this one, I suggest you bugger off to a republic or dictatorship of your choice.

Thankyou for your constructive comments, eagle, but I'd rather stay. This is my country and living in Britain has other things going for it - if this country became a republic I suppose you could always "bugger off" to Saudi Arabia. :rolleyes:

Everyone’s entitled to their own point of view but for me, a monarchy is a part of our heritage that’s served our civilisation for centuries.

Having a head of state for a country, that from birth is “reared” to have a duty of responsibly to the country, is to my way of thinking preferable to having some career minded individual elected.

Bill :)

I think the majority of posters on here have it spot on. The monarch have and work very hard for this country. I certainly don't class them as inbred. As for being German, there was a little German influence over 100 years ago. If you want to go back that far, trace your own history then call yourself an inbred whatever.

I do not think an elected president will do any anything different or better than what is already being done. We have had jokers of prime ministers which has been enough. Imagine if Blair or Brown became president? I have also heard of a fantastic president in Zimbabwe.

I love the monarch as I can see the real value in them. They really are the jewel in the crown.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

A number of events are taking place in 2012. The Preston Guild, the Olympics and, bizarely, "celebrations" to mark the unelected head of state, in a modern "democracy", being in her post for 60 years.

*************************************************************************************************************

Get rid of this nonsense ( and have a fully elected upper chamber in Parliament). this is the 21st century and we are supposed to be a democracy.

Nick welcome to the forum, everyone has opinions to air on here and they come in types of topics some sensible and some downright idiotic, I personally don't believe that there is anything wrong with your post, at this point I shall insert a "however" it's not really the best way to start off on a new forum, I have my own personal views on this subject and at this moment in time shall keep them to myself. I am trying to weigh up whether your are attempting to be a political extremist or just being controversial, either way I think you will find your match on here, Good Luck! Nick. :wink:

I am curious as to how he thinks that having a monarch has any bearing on how

the country is governed?

Even with an Upper House, the Monarchy is needed just for the money it brings in from tourism, and that's just a start.

Without the Monarchy and the pomp and pageantry, WHY would anyone want to visit the UK? except to claim benefits.

It says you joined in 2008 Cleo...... and you just worked that out??

..... and you come across as being so on the ball usually! :D

Really, Baz, I noticed a long time ago but as time passed it became increasingly

difficult for me not to say what I thought.

And that comment was the last straw, considering a 6 month old baby, living in one of the nearby apartment died as a result of the tear gas being used.