101 -

observer

Seems the Police have a new number for non-emergency calls - 101, to take pressure from Richard Heads ringing 999 for stupid reasons. Perhaps they could also fine the Richard Heads £999 for daft calls, and the same for non-emergency attendance at A&E while they're at it - eventually the RHs might get the message? :huh:

• Downvote 1

I think a lot of these calls might be from people not quite as well planted as you due to old age or maybe even a mental issue, so to brand them all as dickheads and suggest fines is a bit harsh don’t you think?

Maybe you could volunteer your services to be judge and jury on this. :D

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

We've had this subject before. It has always been a problem, less now perhaps as the public are more "educated" and we don't have police pillars open on one side to the public.

What you see from a distance as a non emergency is often the opposite to the person involved. People (used to ) ring the police when they felt they needed help - let's not add to the public apathy and almost alienation from the police.

Happy days

Obs... not everyone who rings 999 when they shouldn't is is a *head like you say although from what I have read some most certainly are.

I have never heard of the number 101 you mention although there has been a lot of talk about the new 112 this week as Wireboy quite rightly says.

I think the 112 number is a good idea and it's a number that is easily remembered as is 101 if it exists.

The odd time I have had to ring the police for non-emergenices it has been a question of googling the local police station.. finding the long 0845 number and ringing it which then puts you through to the main control centre (which I think was in Winsford).

Forget looking in phone books too as they are so damn small these days that you can't even read them let alone find anything in them and I suspect if the three digit one is new it will not appear in the latest books until bext year now anyway. :evil:

It all takes time and like Harry says although it may not be a life threatening or real emergency as such it is still important enought to the person who it trying to ring and if an number is easy enough to remember it may just stop all the unnecessary 999 calls.

For ease I even went to the local police station to report an incident of theft and also one of vandalism as it was daytime but alas I had to use their direct phone to the main control centre as they can't log anything there :unsure:

So for me 112 is now 'remembered' for furture reference (although I hope I never have to use it).

The piece on NW News tonight, cited examples - of these thickos asking for directions from the M/Way; even asking what the weather conditions are like in Scotland - clear cases of brainless individuals, who havn't the IQ to consider they're wasting Police time. Likewise, the same types will turn up at A&E with a hang nail - IF they were charged for such stupidity, they may think twice about doing it in future, or maybe the "thinking" bit will elude them. :roll:

Next they will be offered the alternative of being connected to one of our neighbouring Forces, GMP, Merseyside, Staffordshire or North Wales. If they do not require any of these forces, the message offers the option to press hash and to be connected to an operator who can put you through to which ever force you need.

If I rang that number, I wouldn’t have a clue, which of those areas would be right, so it’s just as well they have someone there who knows. Ideally, I’d like to contact the local police and being offered North Wales seems a bit odd. I rang the police one time and had a devil of a job trying to explain where I was because of their lack of local knowledge.

It’s a good idea in theory to have an alternate number but it’s a million miles off what an ideal solution might be. As for the number being memorable, there’s two already on this thread who’ve got it wrong. :D

I have put the number for the local police on my mobile under POLICE. if I need to contact them in a non-emergency I just call that number. also have the crime stoppers one in there as well not that I have ever used it. ok so if you are in an area that is not local to you then I can see that being able to contact the local constabulary would be useful that is if you happen to know where you are. :unsure:

As for the number being memorable, there’s two already on this thread who’ve got it wrong. :D

How confusing as the radio reports were saying the new number was 112 yesterday. Damn and it's engrained in my head now. Bloody news reporters :lol:

Seems 112 has been around for ages though and it is the international emergency number. The website I just looked at says "It puts you through in exactly the same way as if you had called 999. But 112 is a standardised number across many countries and means that wherever you are in the world you will know how to summon help quickly.".

I'd better not use that one then as I'd still be calling 999 :oops:

Good idea about puting the local number in your mobile Evils and I must do that although when I last rang the local one it still diverted through to the main control centre at Windsford. I then spent ages trying to explain to them where the Forge Shopping Precinct and the lower carpark near the church was. Surely it;s not that difficult. Had the local station answered they could just have walked across the road and got rid of the grots who were throwing bottles at people and running round half naked :unsure:

I guess 101 will make no difference to that. I still think it's a good idea to have an alternative to 999 but I'd much rather be able to just ring the bobbies in Stockton Heath or Warrington stations or pop in and report the incident with someone who knows exactly where I am talking about.

:lol::lol::wink:

Maybe rather than 'news reporter' I should have said 'news reader'.. although they will read what their reporter says I guess. :oops:

You (and your reporters) always get the news right but I can't access that from my car so maybe you need a local radio station too so I don't have to listen to the other local one when I'm in my car and stuck in the usual traffic (but please don't get Gary to host it :lol::lol: )

:lol::lol::wink:

Maybe rather than 'news reporter' I should have said 'news reader'.. although they will read what their reporter says I guess. :oops:

You (and your reporters) always get the news right but I can't access that from my car so maybe you need a local radio station too so I don't have to listen to the other local one when I'm in my car and stuck in the usual traffic (but please don't get Gary to host it :lol::lol: )

Probably too busy thinking about half naked people to be concentrating.

Which half was naked? :blink: :blink: :shock:

:lol::wink:

Probably too busy thinking about half naked people to be concentrating.

Which half was naked? :blink: :blink: :shock:

I do hope that by the way you quoted me and replied that you were not inferring that I imagine Gary or DS naked Peter :shock::lol:

Going slightly off topic, I read the other day my doctor's about to change the mumber that I've used for twenty odd years to a premium rate line. They say it's all part of a modernisation plan to give a better service but I dont see any benefit other than in the doctors pocket. :evil: