Cannabis

Cleopatra

That has been an issue for a very long time - over here a few of our states have allowed Medical Weed. I have been told just how "Amazingly" many people have prescriptions for it. In Alaska you can legally smoke it in the privacy of your own home and grow up to 3 plants.

I know it would save the tax payers a huge amount of money if it was legalized, because of the amount of officers and public time used to find and arrest people that use and traffic it. Also the revenue from it may help us a bit in our economic problems.

It has been coined the "gateway" drug - because of where and how you buy it leads to other things. If you could buy it in a store that might change things.

I have no preference either way as I have found that pot heads are basically boring -I do not want to waste my life being wasted, but to each their own. :blink:

Unfortunately from what I have seen (including the son of a family friend and others who I have known since my school days) is that those who indulge eventually find a need to move on to stronger stuff and develop mental health issues and then end up hooked on prescription drugs to try and deal with depression, anxiety e.t.c.

From what I have seen and heard over the years this is an all too common occurence.

I suppose it is like many of the things deemed bad for us - alcohol, cigarettes - a little in moderation is Ok but if you over indulge or get hooked they become a major health issue/killer.

You could argue that we have a right to decide what we indulge in - but as a society we also need to help protect those who are vulnerable.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately from what I have seen (including the son of a family friend and others who I have known since my school days) is that those who indulge eventually find a need to move on to stronger stuff and develop mental health issues and then end up hooked on prescription drugs to try and deal with depression, anxiety e.t.c.

From what I have seen and heard over the years this is an all too common occurence.

I suppose it is like many of the things deemed bad for us - alcohol, cigarettes - a little in moderation is Ok but if you over indulge or get hooked they become a major health issue/killer.

You could argue that we have a right to decide what we indulge in - but as a society we also need to help protect those who are vulnerable.

I have to say that I agree with you Gary. I have seen a few good boys, and girls, turn bad because of the weed. I have seen families torn apart because of it.

It may give them a buzz in the begining when they are sharing with their mates but eventually they become addicted. Then when cannabis loses it's buzz they start to experiment with something stronger, which becomes a must have at any cost. And to fund their addiction they turn to crime. Lose pride in themselves, their appearance. Lose their health. And, in many cases, lose their families. Age years before their time.

No point the pro cannabis camp saying that legalising it means it could be controlled. It's not the canbabis that needs controlling but the users. Unfortunately they lose their self control. And there will still be a massive crime rate due to cannabis use because there will still be many people unable to afford to pay for it so will still turn to crime to fund their addiction.

I just feel that we are wasting a lot of time and money trying to stop people doing what they want to do, and what they will do whether or not it's legal. How many people get their buzz out of weed BECAUSE it's illegal? I don't know. I've never tried it and don't want to. I'm already addicted to WWW and that's too much for me :shock: :shock: :shock::D :grin:

That all makes sense but the overall situation is so complex there’s never going to be any magical answer that could solve all the problems. We need to do something rather than just doing what we’re doing now so maybe decriminalising it may be part of a better solution.

My limited experience of the stuff has been rather like home brewed beer, in that you just don’t know how strong it is. If the cannabis content were to be regulated, rather like the nicotine content of a cigarette, then at least you’d know what to expect. Once something like this is in place then they could be sold over the counter generating revenue rather than lining the pockets of the drug barons. This may also have the effect of removing some of the excitement that some get from its illegal status.

It’d be nice if it could just be stopped but in the meanwhile it’s worth a thought.

Bill :)

None of you have mentioned the effect that legalised cannabis would have on road safety. Anyone smoking pot and driving would be an absolute liability on the roads. Keep the law as it is.

It's already illegal to drive under the influence of drink or drugs. Legalising cannabis would not change that law anyway.

All drug users should be treated the same way as they should treat drug dealers..... bullet to the back of the head.

A tad over the top methinks (especially given the scrap price of lead these days). A greener option would be a nice sea cruise say about forty miles from the nearest land and then make them walk home. :blink:

All drug users should be treated the same way as they should treat drug dealers..... bullet to the back of the head.

They are all scum who will all turn to crime to fund their habits. No place in society for them imho

thank god you didn't over react. Get a grip man.