Gaiety Theatre Warrington

algy

I wonder..........

Algy on the news page today it says that painting from Warrington Museum are now all online for the first time on the BBC's website and it gives a link .

I have just had a look and there are many wonderful old paintings on there not only from the museum but also the Town Hall and other local and national establishments.

Anyway in the museums collection there are two of Sankey Street in 1904 and 1906.

Here's my 'wonder' (although I can't quite get my bearings) but do you think the brightly coloured building on this one by Thomas Hesketh could be the Gaiety Theatre? Seems a bit odd to have a building covered in paintings of people etc along that road considering the other buildings.... it certainly looks to have some sort of theatrical/happy feel about it.

TAKE NOTE OF THE AREA BEHIND THE 'THEATRE' WHICH LOOKS LIKE A GARDEN AND THEN THE BUILDING BEHIND THAT WITH THE LITTLE WHITE WINDOW.... you will see why later....

Have a look here at this one from 1904 which shows the colourful building (ps the images are all copyright hence me posting the direct link)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/sankey-street-looking-from-the-west-104041

then look at this one from 1906.... the 'garden' and the building with the little white window is still there but the brightly painted building 'theatre??' appears to have gone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/sankey-street-104042

Do you think we have found the answer at long last :D:unsure:

Dizz, I'm pretty sure (in my mind anyway) that the brightly coloured and painted wall is not a wall at all :wink: but a hoarding on the corner of Springfield Street, the Victorians had a thing about erecting hoardings to advertise as indeed we still do. I have placed two maps of the area below, one of 1890 showing Holly House which is the lovely Georgian house set back on an angle opposite Garvin Place, the hoarding would have been at the end of the land adjoining the property and on the corner of Springfield Street, Bank House is opposite, you can see the two sets of rounded bays clearly.

Unfortunately as you say copyright prevents us showing the paintings, nice site though Diz, be great if they did the same with photos. As I have said in Harry's reply, I have emailed the Museum and if I don't receive a reply tomorrow I shall give them a ring.

1890.jpg

The 1907 map of the same area.

1907.jpg

I am absolutely GUTTED Algy :(:(:(

I did say I couldn't quite get my bearings though and didn't realise the painting was that far down Sankey St :oops:

..... but I was blummin' convinced that it was the theatre cos of the pictures on it and in my mind I have a vision of the Gaiety being just a little place, not particulary special architectually speaking, but full of fun, brightly coloured... and just like that bloody hoarding. :evil::lol:

I quit and from now on the words 'local history' do not exist... hey maybe I could get a high paid job with the council in the planning dept now :lol:

I am absolutely GUTTED Algy :(:(:(

I did say I couldn't quite get my bearings though and didn't realise the painting was that far down Sankey St :oops:

..... but I was blummin' convinced that it was the theatre cos of the pictures on it and in my mind I have a vision of the Gaiety being just a little place, not particulary special architectually speaking, but full of fun, brightly coloured... and just like that bloody hoarding. :evil::lol:

I quit and from now on the words 'local history' do not exist... hey maybe I could get a high paid job with the council in the planning dept now :lol:

Sorry I put the 'mockers' on it Dizz me owd' tater, but there's yer' are, facts is facts and yer' can't change em' wiv' a magic wand. :wink::D :grin:

That's where a laptop would come in handy.

Had one of those days today where I've not had a solid block of more than 20 mins to do or concentrate on any one thing (well apart from the 2+ hour walk with my dog :shock: ) so hopefully time to catch up tomorrow. :wink:

That's where a laptop would come in handy.

Had one of those days today where I've not had a solid block of more than 20 mins to do or concentrate on any one thing (well apart from the 2+ hour walk with my dog :shock: ) so hopefully time to catch up tomorrow. :wink:

Prompt reply to my email to Warrington Museum, they have requested my postal address to forward information re the Gaiety Theatre so hopefully I may have information to pass on. :)

Algy,

Having looked at the map at the top of this page, aren't the words "Gaiety Theatre" printed downwards along Dixon St. outside the building opposite the site that became Crosfield's garage ? If so that would make the theatre to be in your photo as the shop plastered with special offer banners.

Yeah how good's that :D

Can't you go and pick it up or have it emailed though as if they post it today you may not get it till early next week and I can't wait that long :lol::wink:

Dizz, don't think that didn't enter my tiny mind but unfortunately Mrs algy had other ideas, we have been in the opposite direction to town today and having just arrived home completely 'suggered' I'm not about to go out again so be patient young lady. Incidentally I took a diversion down Mill lane, Walton/Acton Grange opposite the crematorium and drove into what was the courtyard of Grange Green Manor built by RB in 1853, I would think that would be Richard Brooke, a very imposing property but now turned into 7 apartments with more barn conversions around the courtyard, the manor house appears to have been sympathetically restored (as estate agents put it), the chimney pots are unique and very tall, not sure if they are original though, if you have not been down there it's worth a visit, not far from you anyway. :D

For anyone who is interested the latest update on the Gaiety theatre the following has been condensed from a reply from Warrington Museum's Search Dept. who kindly provided a four page faded archive typed document confirming that the Gaiety Theatre was situated on the corner of Sankey Street and Dixon Street and existed as a place of entertainment for at least twelve years from 1881 to 1893. It started off as Harmston's New Circus with a permanent circus ring. It's first change of name came in January 1882 and the building was renamed the "Temperance Theatre". In 1883 it took the temporary name "Theatre of Varieties". Because the original building was a wooden structure the council in July 1884 ordered it to be pulled down but the original proprietor Mr Harmston was undaunted and engaged an architect to design and erect a new permanent structure on the site of the old wooden circus building, this was believed to be the first "Iron Circus" that was ever built in Britain and could hold 3,500 people, it once again reverted to it's original name of Harmston's Circus. In 1885 the circus ring was boarded up thus allowing for an extra thousand people to be seated (now 4,500 capacity), the theatre opened in August 1885 as the"Gaiety Theatre of Varieties". 1886 saw the theatre taken over by a Mr Newsome and known as "Newsome's Hippodrome". 1889 saw the theatre change hands again to a Mr Weston Gibbs, no record of name change. 1890 it once again experienced a change of name to the"Empire Theatre of Varieties" and retained the name for three seasons 1890. 1891 and 1892. What proved to be the theatres final season in June 1893 it ran a short season as the "Palace Theatre" after this there is no record of the building being used as a place of entertainment but was at a later date most certainly pulled down.

As soon as I have retyped the faded full text I shall place it on this section.

WOW fascinating stuff Algy and I must admit I was not expecting such detailed information from the Museum.

Thanks must obviously go to them too although had you just posted your original finding on the old map followed by all the info it would have taken all the fun and interest out of it (well I think it would anyway) :wink:

Just goes to show that the museum and library do indeed have a wealth of information availabe in their archives and a very good first point of call for any research providing of course you know what you want to ask about.

Shame it isn't all indexed online though so we at least we could browse and what 'could/might' be avaibalbe which might wet our appetites and need to know more.

I'm not knocking them there as I realise it would be a huge task but had they had a little index somewhere which showed they had info on the Gaiety it may well have stopped all my endless ramblings and 'wrong guesses' plus my many questions and suppositions that probably bored you all silly :lol:

Anyway I've got some more now.

When you say 'it' was on the corner of Sankey and Dixon..... was it on the right hand corner looking down on the map where we later thought rather than on the left hand side on the larger area where your original red cross was ?

Have they got any old photo's of it throughout it's 12 years of existence and name changes ?

When it was renamed "Temperance Theatre" did that have anything to do with the Temperance movement/Wesleyan Methodists in the area ?

Also there used to be a circus at Bank Park (near the town hall?) were the two connected ?

Yeah I know... SHUT UP DIZZY AND STOP ASKING SO MANY BLOODY QUESTIONS AND JUST WAIT !! :oops::lol:

Anyway I've got some more now.

When you say 'it' was on the corner of Sankey and Dixon..... was it on the right hand corner looking down on the map where we later thought rather than on the left hand side on the larger area where your original red cross was ?

Have they got any old photo's of it throughout it's 12 years of existence and name changes ?

When it was renamed "Temperance Theatre" did that have anything to do with the Temperance movement/Wesleyan Methodists in the area ?

Also there used to be a circus at Bank Park (near the town hall?) were the two connected ?

Yeah I know... SHUT UP DIZZY AND STOP ASKING SO MANY BLOODY QUESTIONS AND JUST WAIT !! :oops::lol:

Tomorrow! Dizz Tomorrow! :wink::D

Impatient Dizz, Answers to your questions.

1. If you remember I originally thought it was the large building on the corner of Parker Street, then you suggested it was the building opposite in Dixon Street, you were correct, as you look down on the map it is on the right hand corner of Sankey Street and Dixon Street.

2. I don't believe there are any photos of the building, although I should love to be proven wrong.

3.It was named the "Temperance Theatre" in Jan 1882 and yes it was due to the Temperance movement and was an alcohol free theatre.

4.I'm not aware of it having anything to do with any circus in Bank Park however perhaps a little project for you to get your teeth into. :wink:

I did say that I would put the complete text on here when retyped, there is some interesting content regarding the theatre at that period in time, but perhaps of limited interest to those that have followed this topic - what do you think Dizz.?

Thank you for the answers although you really didn't have to get up that early to reply :lol:

As for what do I think......well I want to hear and read all about it so get typing, sod everyone else :lol::lol::wink:

Gonna! be a while as I use the "Hunter Pecker" style of typing!. :D

Bye the way, I,m up most mornings at that time. :wink:

Here is the final account regarding the Theatre sited on the corner of Dixon Street with Sankey Street between 1881 and 1893, as you will see the theatre changed names many times in its short existence one being the Gaiety the only one that I had been aware of at the beginning of this topic, unfortunately I don't have any photos to display. I have contacted the Theatre trust in London who try to archive every theatre in the country, they had no idea of its existence and have asked me if I would cooperate in providing the information to them, I shall do so.

Extract from “UP IN THE GALLERY” by G.S.Aspden.

The Existence of a Theatre in Sankey Street, 1881 – 1893.

This building seems to have been overlooked by previous historians of Warringtons theatres. Indeed, there is no mention of it in the “Dawn Magazine” article, nor in the study produced by Mr Barlow and his colleagues; yet, it played a part in the life of the town for at least a dozen years, and had a fascinating history and a surprising career.

The first mention of the building is in the Warrington Guardian for March 5th 1881, when Harmston’s New Circus opened, with a lengthy list of artistes. Many of the turns were associated with a circus, but some were singers and comedians. In many senses, the building in Sankey Street was the first true home of music hall in Warrington.

The building was on the corner of Sankey Street and Dixon Street, opposite Bank Park. Newspaper accounts show that it was a wooden structure with a circus ring, but at this date there does not seem to have been a stage or a proscenium arch.

The first season of Harmston’s circus ran for three months – with a weekly change of programme – with such artistes as Leonati, an acrobat and Lombarto, the World champion concertina player. This period is by far the longest period of variety entertainment that had been held in Warrington.; seasons at the Public Hall only ran for three weeks. Here were all the features normally connected with a music hall – a working class audience of a rowdey nature, cheap prices, at least a dozen turns of all types on the bill; acrobats, jugglers, comedians, singers, serio – comics, animal acts and so on.

The second and last season of Harmston’s occupation of the building (for the time being) began in the middle of October. The Brothers Jackley were on the bill in November, and this is of interest, as one of the brothers must have been George, the father of Nat Jackley, the well – known pantomime dame of our time.

The type of audience that the artistes played to is confirmed by the performance given for the benefit of the men in a puddler’s strike, taking place in Warrington, in November, 1881. A Christmas pantomime followed in December – “Cinderella” – and this ran, nightly, until the end of season on New Year’s Eve.

The first change of name came in January of 1882, when the building was called the Temperance Theatre of Varieties. That no drink was allowed in the auditorium marks a difference between this theatre and most music halls. Ale or not (Gus Elen wouldn’t have approved) the Temperance Theatre attracted an admirable range of artistes. Though not with the best known London artistes, the show still had a tremendous amount of entertainment to offer. The first season for as long as six months, during which time the audience saw Will Randall singing “On the Sands” in an inane check costume. He had become popular at the Canterbury and the Oxford, then later became a music hall chairman. There were many minor music hall artistes: Tom Bowling, Harry Collins and Captain Slingsby, who went into music hall management later. The bill, as well as having the usual range of music hall artistes, had such items as the Smith’s Royal Punch and Judy.

After a closure for the season, the Temperance Theatre began a second season in September 1892, which ran through the winter into July. Some Artistes, who performed were Sam Ridgeway and Minnie Gough, but undoubtedly the most versatile performer of the season was Dan Leno, who played at the theatre, with his parents for two weeks. Leno was to be renown as a great pantomime dame at Drury lane, but at this time Leno was still on his way to becoming a remarkable performer. 1883 was the year when he won the world clog – dancing championship at the People’s Music Hall, Oldham.

In his Warrington turn he appeared both solo and with his parents. He first went into pantomime five years later at the Surrey Theatre.

During the second season, which began in October, 1883 while Martin Brown had tenure of the theatre, an application was made to perform stage plays there, by that old friend of the Warrington theatre, Brinsley Sheridan. This gentleman, as we have seen was the proprietor of the Prince of Wales Theatre (the ‘old’ theatre of Scotland Road). Which had been pulled down to make way for the Theatre Royal. Mr Sheridan told Warrington Council that he had already booked artistes to appear at the theatre, but as it was now demolished that it was now impossible, nor could they appear at the Public Hall because it was booked up for the Christmas season. He therefore made an application to perform stage plays at the Theatre of Varieties, for six months, assuring that the fire - risk was impossible, by coating the building with “cyanite” (this had been used at the Savoy and Standard in London). The members retired, and after due deliberation, returned their verdict. Because of Mr Sheridans high standing, in the town, said the Mayor, the licence was granted, but only for a period of six months. Although the application had been successful, there were serious repercussions from this meeting. In regard to the Theatre the mayor had said “ All of us are of the opinion that it should never have been erected .... If the application had been made by Mr brown himself it would have been refused”. The last word came from Captain Reynolds: “It is a disgrace to the town that the building was ever put up, so far as I am concerned, the licence shall not be granted for another twelve months”. After Mr Sheridan’s season of plays – one was “Octoroon” – had run, no further licence was granted to Mr Brown, and indeed in July 1884 the Town Council ordered the wooden building in Sankey Street to be pulled down.

Mr Brown may have lost face with the Council, but the original proprietor, Mr Harmston, was undaunted, This gentleman had set up circuses in several towns in the north of England – Hull, York, Durham, Huddersfield, Southport and the Isle of Man – and had earned great respect wherever he went. During the autumn of 1884, Mr Harmston had engaged the architect, J.E. Wright, to erect a new permanent structure on the site of the old circus, “This we believe, the first iron circus that has ever been built in Britain”. Commented the Warrington Guardian. If this was true Mr harmston had certainly brought distinction upon the town. The building held just over 3,500 people as opposed to the thousand accommodated by the old circus. It was lit by gas, and the audience was assured of a good view of the ring wherever they sat. Again the new building was accompanied by a change of name – this time back to its original title; Harmston’s Circus.

The opening night was held on Christmas Eve in the presence of the Mayor of Warrington; and the audience were entertained by a varied bill, with Mr Harmston acting as ring-master. The Warrington Guardian remarked that although the performance was appreciated, in the line of clowning, the antics of “Funny little Bell” were sadly missed: “He possessed a rare talent as a comedian, and the death of such a talented artiste, who never introduced the least taunt of vulgarity into anything he said, or did, must be an irreparable loss.” These words stand as an epitaph to a clown who had endeared himself to the Warrington audience at Sankey Street.

The season ran on until April, with a weekly change of bill, which usually consisted of a number of acts: comedians, vocalists, acrobats and magicians. Towards the end of the season an “amusing scene” occurred; that is how it was described to the Guardian. The Ryder Trio appeared one week at the circus; one of the members of the Trio appeared in female costume. During the act this particular member of the group performed a summersault, and fell into a seat on the front row. A member of the audience thinking it was a women, went to ‘his’ assistance, and during the rest of the act seemed concerned about the performer. At the end of the Trio’s turn he was most confused when Mr Ryder revealed himself to be a man. The gentleman, in the audience realising his mistake, burst into laughter, and was joined by the rest of the audience.

During the closed season of the summer of 1885, the lease of the circus changed to one Leotard Bosco. This gentleman altered the building considerably; the circus ring was boarded over, and this allowed a thousand extra people to be seated. The gallery was replaced by a proscenium arch and a stage, which was lit by two hundred gas jets. However Mr bosco had built a promenade in the building, instead of the gallery, which he hoped would be very popular. A novel feature of the theatre was a mirror at the back of the auditorium, which allowed customers to watch the show, while buying a drink (these were still temperant – Oh!, dear me, Mr Elen).

The new Gaiety Theatre of Varieties, as it was called, opened in August, with a speech by the proprietor. Mr Bosco was rather concerned about the behaviour of the audience; the Warrington Guardian printed his views; “There was one matter which he wished to impress upon them, and that was he was determined not to allow whistling in the building, and if it was persisted in by the audience, he should drop the curtain, and there would be an interval of ten minutes between each item until the whistling was discontinued.”

The Season continued in a similar pattern as before, with music hall artistes rather than circus performers. These were lesser known artistes such as Pete Brady, a singer; Kate Harvey; Colonel Daniel Boone, of wild west fame; and Ada Alva a male impersonator . There were also occasional minstrel shows. A second season ran from September, 1886 until the spring of the next year, under the same management.

After this, it seemed that the building went unused until it was taken over by Newsome’s Hippodrome and Circus; Mr Newsome was described by the Warrington Guardian as being a “no mushroom manager” as he had been responsible for entertainment in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Bradford and Blackpool. His season ran for three months in a building that had been cleaned and altered. His company was an English and foreign one , consisting of riders, acrobats and gymnasts.

The building was then leased by Mr Weston Gibbs in January 1889, for a short season with a weekly change of bill, and an illuminated performance on Saturday afternoon.

A period of a year elapsed before another lease was taken on the theatre; this time ‘Ohmy the Flier’, who was later to run the Queen Street circus, brought his company for a summer season in 1890. The first performance was billed as “The Greatest Show on Earth” and spectators paid 3d, 6d, and 1/- to see Sampson, who broke chains, coins and handcuffs. In the course of his act, he challenged any four men to beat him at a tug-of-war. This short season also featured W.G. Hunt, who was known as “King of the Wheel”.

In November, the lessee became E. Leon, who opened the building as the Empire Theatre of Varieties, under the patronage of the proprietors of the Star Music Hall, Liverpool; the Grand Theatre, Liverpool; the Muncaster Theatre, Bootle; and the Alexandra Theatre, Wigan. The season ran through the winter with weekly changes of programme, which consisted of comedians, such as Arthur Carney, seio-comics, instrumental soloists, dancers and acrobats.

The building ran as the Empire for three seasons – in 1890. 1891 and 1892. The second season was under new management; Mr Jones, who designed the scenery and mr Harrison, who was responsible for the gas lighting. They engaged such artists as Georgina Lloyd, Aserio; Leslie Clare; J.P. Doonan; Caderio, the Wonder Boy, and the double act Chippendale and Ashley. The third season ended with the Four Poole Pelhams, a minstrel group, and Pete Bradie, a comedian.

For its final season, in June, 1893 the building ran a short season as the palace Theatre ( also of the Peoples Palace, St. Helens – the bill pointed out). Leoni Clark’s Vaudeville Company performed there with an act of 170 cats. It was “capital entertainment” – so said the Warrington Guardian.

That was the last time i can find any record of the building being used as a place of entertainment. It was later pulled down, but when, it has not, at the moment, been possible to ascertain.

NB. The two changes of name to the Empire and Palace theatres are not to be confused with two cinemas of the same names that were erected at a much later date in the town centre of Warrington.

I have copied the original text as provided to me from the Warrington Museum archives, the only alteration has been in the correction of spelling, the grammar and punctuation remains the same.

Thank you for the answers although you really didn't have to get up that early to reply :lol:

As for what do I think......well I want to hear and read all about it so get typing, sod everyone else :lol::lol::wink:

Dizz, where the heck are you I spent ages typing this lot out (and mailed you a copy) and not heard a 'Dicky Bird' from you. :roll:

OMG I'm so sorry Algy.... :oops:

I started to read it all on here yesterday and it was fascinating but alas the youngster was errrrm (shall I just say 'getting rid of his stomach contents') :oops:

They I tried again and yes I got my personal copies, although couldn't open the word version as I'm 3 years behind you and then the youngter started again. I didn't reply to that as I was going to do that on here after what you said :wink:

I then tried to read again and got intrigued and in usual Dizzy fashion I finished up googling.... and got nowhere.

Today has been an awful day and I'm still fuming (about something else) but now I have come down to earth with a huge bump as I realise I never did reply to you like you say and you have just told me off for it too :oops::blink::wink:

BIG HUGS ALGY AND I AM SO SORRY..... x x :D

OMG I'm so sorry Algy.... :oops:

I started to read it all on here yesterday and it was fascinating but alas the youngster was errrrm (shall I just say 'getting rid of his stomach contents') :oops:

They I tried again and yes I got my personal copies, although couldn't open the word version as I'm 3 years behind you and then the youngter started again. I didn't reply to that as I was going to do that on here after what you said :wink:

I then tried to read again and got intrigued and in usual Dizzy fashion I finished up googling.... and got nowhere.

Today has been an awful day and I'm still fuming (about something else) but now I have come down to earth with a huge bump as I realise I never did reply to you like you say and you have just told me off for it too :oops::blink::wink:

BIG HUGS ALGY AND I AM SO SORRY..... x x :D

I'm on the early shift -again! :blink:

Your forgiven Dizz, I shall send a PDF version across.