Freedom?

observer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said; we've got to be one step ahead of the competition, providing high-end technology and innovation EG: a British Company has produced an electric motorbike that can hit 120mph, but they're struggling to get the funding to mass produce; meanwhile foreign spys are working overtime to get the technology. The key to a successfull future is education, but education linked to the needs of industry and the economy; think we've probably got enough media study degrees out there by now! :wink:

It like you say it is a form of warfare Obs (quite a good analogy), It was not the best technology than won WW2 , it was the mass produced tech that did, and if that is the case have we not already lost.?

Ask those that are still alive in Nagasaki and Hiroshima whether saturation bombing ended their war or was it just the two high tech atomic bombs that ended it, and what about Mulberry Harbour and Pluto, Radar, asdic/sonar, the Norden bomb site, synthetic rubber, etc,etc, of course mass produced technology played a major roll but don't denigrate the people that came up with that technology, without them the result would have been totally different and we would not be having this high tech conversation. :roll:

Ally

I was not trying to take any away from the Allies, but it is a fact the German tech except in a few areas, Radar and sonar for instance was better than the Allies. Their tanks and small arms cost us dearly.. And it says alot about the poor man riding out in his Sherman to face a Tiger tank.

The Russian tanks did not wipe the floor with the German tanks Asp, I think you are talking about the T34, which was a medium tank, and was mass produced it was no match for the Tiger or the Panzer 4 on a one to one basis. And it was late in 1943 when they actually put radios in them. Both the Sherman and the T34 were out gunned by the German tanks. The Germans had to many different types of tank , the Russians only had two main battle tanks, which they produced in vast numbers. The main British and American tank was the Sherman which again was no match on a one to one basis, towards the end of the war they put a 17 pound gun on it, which even upped the odds. The Allies played a numbers game with the Germans. And as I have said before it says something about the Allied tank crews going into battle knowing they were out gunned.

I have to bow to your superior knowledge then. The Russians didn't beat the Germans in the East, and in fact Germany went on to win the war!!

Actually the Russians did wipe the floor with the Germans even if it was only by sheer weight of numbers. Semantics don't come into it. Superior technology doesn't necessarily win out. A nuclear missile is no good if the bloke who pushes the button has his brains smashed in by a bloke with a baseball bat. :wink: :wink:

Asp, the Russians did wipe the floor with the Germans, the point I was trying to make and you would have known if you had bothered to read was they did it with weight of numbers and mass produced technology. The point about superior tech stands. The German tanks were better they had alot less of them than the Russians, they could not compete in the numbers game when the Russians started to produce the T34 in vast numbers.

Well your correct on this one Kije; the Krauts were well ahead of the game, in terms of technological innovation and quality. However, a two year freeze on R&D projects (ordered by Hitler), plus the funding of competing designs, rather than mass producing one type; meant their lead was undermined. The allies worked on the basis of numbers V quality, and eventually the numbers won. That isn't to denigrate the innovation of the allies; radar saved Britain in 1940; we had produced a jet fighter before the end of the war; and Barnes-Wallis went on to invent the swing wing aircraft. Problem was/is, that intellectual property rights arn't necessarilly respected in a competitive global enviroment, hence Obama's comment in his latest speach to Asian Countries. :shock:

My next door but two neighbour; Len was a tank driver in WW2.... He gave up his position in one tank when he was promoted and took command of his own tank. The first time out, the tank he would have been in was destroyed by Jerry and all inside were killed.... luck of the draw I guess!