Winwick Street

Wireboy

What is going on with Winwick Street?

The whole area was supposed to be re-developed with a high rise apartment block, cinema, restaurants and shops.

It has been a car park for a few years now with no sign of work starting. Surely this would be an ideal opportunity to create jobs and growth in Warrington. Unless of course they use foreign labour.

Even I admit the plans look good and the area desperately needs doing. It would add great value to that part of the town and would be the entertainment hub with the Warrington Wolves stadium finishing it off on the end.

Anyone know the latest news for this site? I can't find much on-line only news from months or even years ago saying work is about to start.

Have we had the wool pulled over our eyes once more and lost another listed building (Bay Horse Inn) for nothing?

Well lets look on the bright side, by doing nothing we at least get some cheap all day parking. :lol:

I’d be interesting to see what our latest resident councillor would have to say about this. The last I remember he was saying how he thought the council had made a marvellous job of the area? :mellow:

We don't have another Winwick Street in the town do we?

Bill :)

Well lets look on the bright side, by doing nothing we at least get some cheap all day parking. :lol:

I’d be interesting to see what our latest resident councillor would have to say about this. The last I remember he was saying how he thought the council had made a marvellous job of the area? :mellow:

We don't have another Winwick Street in the town do we?

"Marvellous job of the area.” :P

The first image for people leaving Central Station is a row of boarded up terraced houses that are half burnt and half falling down and a vast wasteland with cars on it.

Hardly the greatest impression of Warrington for any potential visitors.

The Council must have very low standards if they think that is a "Marvellous job.” :rolleyes:

The first image for people leaving Central Station is a row of boarded up terraced houses that are half burnt and half falling down and a vast wasteland with cars on it.

Hardly the greatest impression of Warrington for any potential visitors.

Visitors probably think they have walked onto a film set of the Blitz.

The thinking on this defies logic.

No-one drives UP Bridge Street as a gateway to the town, but thousands drive up Winwick rd/Street. Which is more important?

I do think Bridge street needs life injecting back into it. But Winwick street is a mess.

I don't see why one can be done without the other. Bridge street is already built and is just awaiting new shops and a little TLC. Winwick street is completely different as it needs construction and shouldn't have to compete with Bridge Street.

The only "clash" I see with both projects is that Bridge Street was recently identified as a site for a new cinema. I feel Winwick street will be more appropriate for this because of the train and bus stations and also the cinema has been ear marked for Winwick Street for several years.

As Peter says, Cars drive up Winwick Street and passengers disembark there. And they disembark in area that can only be described as a dump.

I think because the Winwick Street area is outside what many regard as a no go binge drinking area, it’d be far better to develop it solely with the types of activities that don’t rely on alcohol.

Like a car park perhaps! :D

Not quite what I had in mind but one thing’s for sure, without proper car parking facilities in the area it just won’t work. The trouble is councillors seem hell bent on making people use public transport and to provide proper parking facilities for car owners is not something they want to do.

The Wireworks, as the development was called, was going to be a joint venture between developers Modus and Iliad. Modus collapsed in about 2008, with the Anglo Irish Bank pulling the plug.

Iliad, a Liverpool company, are still involved, but don't expect to see anything happen for a while yet. They were recently looking for permission to continue with the carpark for another 5 years. It's probably back to square one for this site.

Obs, your latest post leaves me both bemused and amused!

You say "Well there'd be no public money....."

Yet I realise that with your powers of 'observation' it is very highly unlikely that you are not aware that the Govt, in this era of so called austerity, will not only be throwing billions upon billions of pounds of public money at developers they will also be removing any development control obstacles and virtually giving them any remaining pockets of publicly owned land and assets from which a profit could be made. Added to this, the excuse of 'austerity measures' to freeze ordinary workers wages will provide them with a cheap labour force.

Cameron and Co are not only ensuring that their capitalist friends will not be suffering any 'austerity' but that, in the coming years, they will be reaping more profit than they could ever before have dreamed of!

So Obs, was your post merely to see if you could get any of the posting councillors to come out into the open and reveal what they know is really going on? :wink::lol: but that's hardly likely is it?

I'm not trying to spoil your fun Obs, - just nudge the thread a bit quicker to the point!. :lol: