Is obesity genetic ?

observer

Its a combination of a lot of things, theres too much pigeon holing.

yes its in genes, yes its in diet, yes its in lifestyle.

its also psycological.

its somewhat rediculous to me that people think that its just a matter of eating and excercise.

simple look at people in life...have you ever seen a thin looking person with downes, I havent, proving that there is something in genetics that changes the way our body uses fuel.

there are so many thin people that can eat what they like, and never put on weight...everyone knows at least one, but dont take this into consideration when they see fat people who spend their lives dieting and getting nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

If its genetic then why is it much more of a prob now than before?

We generally dont move much any more such as "house work" isn't really "work" any more, eg, the washer does it for us. Alot of our jobs are a lot less manual but still we still eat the food we did then that was fuel for us to keep us going after a really hard long and strenuous day, most of us dont know we're born these days. Also we ate to full us up and keep warm, we didn't have central heating etc.

250 star jumps a day starting right now - come on! Right now, that'll get the blood going round the body and cheer you up and make your heart a bit happier for a minute or two and you'll have earnt that chocolate your munching right now, I can see you.....

Plus you'll cheer everyone else up thats nearby because you'll look a right dafty.

:o

I don?t know anything about genetics but consider this.

My family are all basically thin including my son and my daughter. My daughter married into a family that were also all thin while my son?s married family all seemed very plump.

Both had babies at much the same time but my sons baby is right at the top limit of the baby weight curve while my daughters is right at the bottom. As babies, exercise can?t possibly account for this.

The thin baby never seemed to want to finish her bottle feeds while the chubby baby would have twice as much and still cry for more. The child care people even recommended changing the formula to one specifically designed for hungry babies.

Only time will tell but I think we will have two very different grandchildren and if nothing else, it's changed my thinking about people with a weight problem.

Bill :)

[ 21.02.2008, 07:56: Message edited by: Bill ]

Bill, I would suggest it is too early to tell.

I was a chubby baby and my Mother was told to cut back on my intake. It wasn't until my late 40's that I started to put weight on. I was always thin and fit, but when I stopped rushing around my metabolism changed and I put weight on.

• 3 months later...

MSG manufacturers admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance! Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks and fast foods we are tempted to eat every day. The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount.

http://www.rense.com/general67/msg.htm

Well as I just said in the other thread, I put on a stone and a half after quitting smoking, due to snacking as a replacement for the consuming activity, but thats not for one moment suggesting its all food and eating related, you see I'm pre-dispositioned to be fat, its in my genes without a doubt.

I have to work bloody hard to not be as fat as I could be and it annoys me when people think its only greed that makes people fat, or lack of excercise as I said its loads of things.

I'm current pleased to say that after seing myself in a video recording lately and was disgusted by my size (the additional 1.5 stone to my usual heavy sety frame) and so decided to do more about it, than just be careful what I eat, you see I beleive most fat people have to do this always anyway, its very few that are just greedy eaters and those that are realy stand out.

I'm currently overwight at just under or over depending on the day 15 stone,and for the past three months I have been a gym goer 3 or 4 times a week and currently doing a regular 10 kilometres each day on the cross trainer...despite this I (marothon in distance per week) I am NOT loosing weight, in addition to this and the fact that I eat a tuna salad at least 4 times a week as one of my main meals, and stick to mainly low fat foods othertimes (hey but Im no saint at weekends with my sunday roast, and at least one egg & bacon fry up a week), iots nioce to have somthing tasty I havnt commited a crime so I deserve a treat every now and then.

The point is, if I didnt do all these things I would be huge...but still there are people out there that don't have to do all this, and still stay thin.

its funny, because my sister (who always looked like my mum) is thin, my mum is thin....I on the otherhand looked like my dad, who was fat 18stone+, theres something in the genes for definate...but thats not only to blame or an excuse, you have to take in all the factors.