Binge Drinking -

observer

Seems all Parties are united in opposition to the shame of binge drinking in our Town Centre. and are now calling for minimum pricing (an SNP idea) for alchohol. Errm, who approves the planning and licencing permissions for these outlets? Who relaxed their hours of operation? Who killed the traditional pubs with their smoking ban? Who hasn't had the gonads to tackle the drinks industry at source. So arn't we just reaping what the politicians have sown? :unsure:

I'm not sure minimum pricing is the answer. If people want to feed an addiction weather it be Drugs, Alcohol or Smoking they will do it. And if the legal price goes up it will only increase the illegal trade. There are plenty of counter fit cigarettes out there because of the price. Stand by now for a surge in counter fit booze. Causing all kinds of health problems.

As for the politicians and there policies, I think the smoking ban was the only good thing they came out with.

Errm, who approves the planning and licencing permissions for these outlets? Who relaxed their hours of operation? Who killed the traditional pubs with their smoking ban?

Wasn't it the previous Labour team in the Town Hall?? I would have thought you would have known that? Now who was in charge???? :shock:

Shows how little you know Peter:- the Licencing Ctte plus Magistrates approve or otherwise such permissions and are quasi-judicial bodies (IE non-political). The relaxed hours and the smoking ban were brought in by national Government. So if your going to snipe, try using the right ammunition! :roll:

I'm saying - that influening the decisions of a quasi-judicial ctte, would be, at the very least, improper. As for the "political" direction in respect of the Town Centre; if you care to blow the dust of some of the old strategy documents, you'll discover that the aspiration was for a continental style culture in the Town Centre, shared by all age groups; but aspiration and delivery, in a democracy, are two different things. :roll:

I'm saying - that influening the decisions of a quasi-judicial ctte, would be, at the very least, improper. As for the "political" direction in respect of the Town Centre; if you care to blow the dust of some of the old strategy documents, you'll discover that the aspiration was for a continental style culture in the Town Centre, shared by all age groups; but aspiration and delivery, in a democracy, are two different things. :roll:

Come off it. You can't mean that these committees can do what they want, regardless if it is right or wrong?

Slightly off track, but do you know whether the Pyramid is still being baled out?