Do you want a DNA Data Base ?

observer

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

I don't mind I'm getting my CRB check done so why not my DNA?

If you want to be considered guilty until proved innocent then that's your choice. Personally I think that the police should use DNA evidence where available and appropriate, but a compulsory database would make them rely on DNA to the exclusion of common sense. And, contrary to popular opinion, DNA evidence is not infallible. Fair enough let them collect the DNA of proven criminals, but leave the rest of us alone. :onfire: :onfire:

If you want to be considered guilty until proved innocent then that's your choice.

Fair enough let them collect the DNA of proven criminals, but leave the rest of us alone. :onfire: :onfire: [/QB]

I don't think it would make us 'guilty until proven innocent'. I think quite the opposite. The police would be able to immediately dismiss you as a suspect thereby saving you a great deal of speculation and hassle.

I agree that DNA is not without error, however the biomedical scientist in me is quick to point out that mistakes in DNA comparison are few and far between and are gernerally caused by error on the scientist's part. Sure, we'd have to make sure whoever got the job was up to par, but such checks should take place for anyone in such a high level position (for example those who process donor blood and tissue-- they seem to be doing the job).

DNA should not be the only deciding factor, just a part of the decision-making process. Just as it is now. What I mean is that DNA should never be taken as a sign of guilt, but used as elimination of innocence.

If we had a database, and say there were 4 suspects in a crime, 3 could likely be excluded at the start. If the 4th was implicated through DNA evidence, further testing, interrogation, and investigation should occur before conviction. That way, anyone unfortunate enough to be wrongly accused by way of DNA would still be given an opportunity to be proved innocent. It would speed up the investigation process, but not to the point of eliminating the need for geniune police work. Remember many other factors such as motivation and opportunity must be considered.

Another thing to consider is that DNA would not be used to solve minor crimes because the cost of running such tests for say, theft, would make it irresponsible. DNA evidence would be used generally for more serious offences such as rape and murder.

I say, 'bring it on', after all I don't see myself committing any crimes and my standing as a good, honest citizen should prove enough to discount me if a 'mix-up' ever occurs.

Christy

this has nothing to do with crime.

what about a right to anonymity, no law abiding citizen would have any problem with this if that was its only use. Trouble is its 100% certain these details will be incorporated into something else.

God knows how much risk this would be to the country as a whole in a time of modern warfare, how about the UK NATIVES being wiped out by a virus that does not effect other races....THIS IS NOT SCIENCE FICTION. and with the global world as it is, they other countries will have this DNA profile long before the war, bought by microsoft or whatever...!

Originally posted by observer:

Wouldn't be too certain about proof of guilt or innocence, with total reliance on DNA evidence; it now provides an opportunity for the authorities or criminals to "plant" evidence at the scene of a crime. :roll:

I don't get what you mean, obs. I stress that DNA could NOT be the only factor in proving guilt or innocence and how do you mean planting evidence?

Originally posted by legion:

this has nothing to do with crime.

what about a right to anonymity, no law abiding citizen would have any problem with this if that was its only use.

Most "shops and utilities" know more about us than we do ourselves. So it wouldn't really matter as far as anonymity goes?

Originally posted by Peter:

Most "shops and utilities" know more about us than we do ourselves. So it wouldn't really matter as far as anonymity goes?

Not really followed this topic but here's one for you..

I had a phone call tonight from a company offering reduced insurance for the over 50's !

As they went into their speel I stopped them and pointed out that I wasn't actually over 50... in fact I was quite a way off that age !

The woman then questioned me, told me my OWN address and said that according to THEIR records I was actually 51 so I was eligable to get their savings :o

And why in the past 2 weeks have I received emails from every bank I have ever banked with warning me that my account has been victim of some type of fraud of access violation and asking me to CLICK HERE to re-activate my account? Like I'm that stupid !!!... but how do all these people get so many of our personal details :o

Originally posted by Dismayed:

And why in the past 2 weeks have I received emails from every bank I have ever banked with warning me that my account has been victim of some type of fraud of access violation and asking me to CLICK HERE to re-activate my account? Like I'm that stupid !!!... but how do all these people get so many of our personal details :o

Those emails are sent out randomly by people who have commecially available software that gathers email addresses from websites. I tested such software a few months ago, it was amazing how many email addresses it gathered...but it was far too random and no use for a specific purpose that I was asked to look at it for.

Not that random Paul as I'm with all the banks/building societies that I got the dodgy emails for...

Had they been from other banks too then that would be random.

What are you doing testing dodgy software and pinching people's email addresses :P

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Not that random Paul as I'm with all the banks/building societies that I got the dodgy emails for...

Had they been from other banks too then that would be random.

What are you doing testing dodgy software and pinching people's email addresses :P

Think you will find it is chance that you got emails purporting to be from your banks.

It is actually not dodgy software as such...it is commercially available and organisations use it to create mass mailing lists....alas some of those lists then go on to be used for unscrupulous purposes.