Global warming again

Lt Kije

Don't disagree with your general scepticism Asp; but I think it may be a pragmatic response to prepare for extremes of weather - whatever the cause. :shock:

Which is what I said in my previous post. Spend money on the results of climate change, not on trying to stop the unstoppable :wink: :wink: :wink:

Why are people so obsessed with global warming, these so called unique weather patterns have been occurring since the creation of our planet, I placed a list of UK weather patterns collected since the early 17th century, I don't intend posting the complete list again only those from 1616 to 1700, please study them and explain why they had such extreme temperatures when they had relatively no heavy industries, no motor vehicles, no aircraft, Damn!!! I fogot about methane contamination from cows.

The History of British winters

Written by D.Fauvell and I.Simpson this page cover's many winters from the 17th Century right up to the current day. It includes the 'little ice age' period which many people yearn to see again!

1616: Hot summer with drought similar to that of 1612

1620-21: Frost fair held on the Thames

1626: Dry and hot summer

1635: Severe winter, Thames froze over

1636: Severe drought, rainless for months (reputedly)

1638: Not linked so much to winter, but tornadoes were reported in the South West.

1644: Late January snowfall, lasted 8 days

1648: Interestingly was very wet, and the summer was described as "worse than some of the past winters" ie. It was cool and wet!

1648-49: Thames froze over

1657-58: Beginning a period of long lying snow, lasting from December through until March!

1658: A 'wild stormy night' when roofs were blown down, as well as Chimneys. Noted as the night Oliver Cromwell died.

1662-67: 3 of 5 winters in this period were described as cold, with severe frosts. Skating was launched on the Thames, for the pleasure of King Charles 2nd.

1664-65: Reputedly the coldest day ever in England, with a severe frost lasting about 2 months.

1665: In November, a deep depression was recorded, possibly the lowest recorded in London, of 931 millibars! Still stands today?

1666-67: Thames covered in ice

1669: A cold year in regards to the milder ones proceeding it. Thames froze over, again.

1674: March snowfall, lasted for 13 days, described as ' The thirteen drifty days' . Most of the sheep perished, unfortunatley.

1676: June exceptionally hot (notice the correlation with 1976! lol)

1677: Thames froze, again! Becoming a regular occurance.

1680-81: Winter was severe, with lots of Easterly winds. The Easterlies brought dry air.

1683-84: Now when people think of 'The Big One' in terms of winters, they think of 1947,1963 etc. But there was one winter that easily surpassed both! This winter! Mid December saw the 'great frost' start in the UK and Central Europe. The Thames was frozen all the way up to London Bridge by early January 1684. The frost was claimed to be the longest on record, and probably was. It lasted kept the Thames frozen for 2 months, it froze as deep as 11 inches. Near Manchester, the ground had frozen to 27 inches, and in Somerset, to an astonishing 4 feet! This winter was the coldest in the CET series, at -1.2! (1739-40 was -0.4) This winter was described by R.D. Blackmore, in his book 'Lorna Doone'. In mid February there was a thaw.

1688-89: Long and severe frosts, Thames froze over.

1690-99: 6 out of 10 of the winters in this period were described as severe, judging by their CET. Meaning their average temperatures for December, January, February and March were below 3c. 1694-95 heralded deep snow, with falls of continual snow affecting London. This lasted for 5 weeks, along with the freezing of the Thames. This heavy snow and frost theme, continued for a good long while. In fact 1695 is believed to have been one of the coldest years ever recorded, the severe snowy winter ended around mid April, at which time arctic sea ice had extended around the entire coast of Iceland! 1695-96 saw -23c (?) in the UK. A severe winter. The autumn of 1697 was very cold, with snow persisting, and ice forming. The winter of 1697-98 was severe, with a CET of about 1c. Snow and ice built up. Ice on coasts built up to 8 inches in parts. Spring very cold. Generally the late 1600s were very cold, and people probably were affected very badly by this. The cold probably brought famine to the poor, as livestock perished, and crops failed. And without central heating, it must have been unbearable in parts. The 'Little Ice Age' lived up to its name. The final few years weren't as bad, but harvests were still ruined generally as wet weather took over from the cold.

The 1600s were generally a period of harsh severe winters, and cool/wet springs/summers. At points the Thames was frozen for months, although I think it would have been wider then (?) and shallower (?) so easier to freeze when the temperatures were right.

Rising seas , will cause lots of displaced people Obs, probably better to try on stop the seas rising, as the people will have to go somewhere :wink:

I will repeat this again. Sea levels have been rising, on average, by 3mm per year and have been doing so for thousands of years, although the rise has slowed to less than that in recent years. Would the likes of celebrated alarmists Al Gore and Tim Flannery have bought sea front property recently if they really believed their own alarmist propaganda? You really are easily fooled Lt Kije :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

So what is he has a beach front property Asp, he is trying help the next generation, to inherit an earth worth having and not one spoiled because people who new better didn't do anything because they were so self centred and could not give a crap about the people who come after.!!!

OK Lt Kije, to save you having to overtax your little grey cells:

Satellite sea level record from University of Colorado -

sealevel.colorado.edu/sl_ib_global.txt

Battery Park sea level records-

tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?stnid=8518750TheBattery,NY

(That well known climate change denialist government agency the NOAA) :wink: :wink:

Central England Temperature record -

c3headlines.com/2010/01/cet-temperatures.html

And just to make your life complete here is a larger picture of the CET record:

6a010536b58035970c0120a7c87805970b-.png:roll: :roll: :roll:

Is it not the case that; when we get an "ice age", sea levels go down; then as things warm up and the ice melts, sea levels rise? And this has been going on at various intervals throughout the life of planet Earth - without the assistance of human beings? :unsure:

ay up..... Sherlocks' back! :D

Not at all Asp, I read the title, why don't you tell us from what anti climate change web site you got your graphs, or do you want me to do it, you seem to have been taken in :wink:

And when you say "anti climate change site" do you mean sites that are inhabited by people who believe that we can actually do anything about climate change which is, as all sensible people realise, a completely natural process? Or do you mean sites that are inhabited by people who live in reality? :wink: :wink: