Global warming again

Lt Kije

Put a bet on everything Asp says and you will win big. Y'all must have lived through the 'pea soupers' we used to have and seen the pictures of billowing smoke stacks in Albania. Seen the smoke rising from a millon home fires, plus the stacks of coal burning trains and power stations and every other factory. All with no anti-pollution filter systems or scrubbers. Ah, the glorious fifties, the only thing that we didn't have was global warming. In fact, there was a period when the same kooks were predicting a new ice age. Asperity is right, they only changed their terminology when the couldn't explain the record cold spells.

Yes I lived through the Pea soupers and got Asthma for my trouble as a direct consequence - we moved away from the pollution and I bagan to beathe better - I have similar problems when I moved to Warrington and adapting to it's and Runcorn/Widnes' pollution.

That's ok then. I'm easily convinced though, all it takes are facts, not opinions, real smoking gun facts (pardon the pun). If it didn't cost billions of dollars, I wouldn't care one way or the other. The proponents are all from the same school as those who had planes dropping out of the sky on New Years Eve, 2000 and all of us dying from Bird Flu and Swine Flu a few months later. Not a good pedigree to gamble the world's economy on.

I was a petrochemical engineer in the early sixties through to 09 and I can tell you that if climate change wasn't in full swing under the 60's regulations, it certainly has no chance under the 2009 plus regulations.

If there were ANY concrete facts, they would have been gleefully presented front and center long ago to blow doubters out of the water. In fact, in all of this discussion you have not presented one concrete fact, just veiled hints that the proof is there, claiming that it's just too well concealed for us dumb folks to find it.

Actually LT, it's academic really, the manmade climate change fad is losing steam and within a couple of years it will fade away like Bird Flu - 15 minutes of fame.

I don't think I need another 'opinion' LT. If anything concrete ever comes up I'm sure it will be headlined on the 6:00 pm news, not hidden in an obscure 'report'. However, I wish you luck in your quest for support - hang on in there my friend.

Will you take notice if the concrete object drops on your head? - obviously you have your view that you will be sticking to come what may - just what has bird flu got to do with global warming - are you saying that they are one of the same?

With Geoff and Lt Kije both convinced we're doomed I feel a lot happier :wink: :wink:

When Global Warming alarmists like Al Gore and Tim Flannery invest in sea front properties you have to take their dire warnings of several metres of sea level rise with a pinch of salt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankly, I can't see the point, in this case, of worrying about the cause; much more important imo to prepare for and deal with the effects. Still not sure whether we're due for an ice age in the UK or tropical summers; all I know is - if we're to get snow bound winters, get the snow ploughs organised and get homes insulated. If we're to suffer flooding, get flood defences built. If we're to suffer droughts, get an efficient water capture and storage system in place. :roll:

Well they have had another look and it's true, global warming is a fact and it's down to us burning carbon, so except for Asp who will now stick in head in the sand or go into denial, what do we do :wink:

If you're interested here is a critical analysis of the BEST results (though I don't suppose you will bother to read it as it was written by a "denialist" )

BEST

:wink: :wink:

I read somewhere that the carbon in the atmosphere takes about 100 years to disperse, so that means that we are seeing the results of what was put in over the last hundred years.

Carbon in the atmosphere can help to form smaller droplets in the air and increase the amount of cloud cover we get. this cloud cover reflects the sunlight and heat away and thus offsets some of the warming due to solar influence. It is carbon on the ground that causes the warming effect at ground level as it absorbs instead of reflecting sunlight and thus contributes to the overall heating effect.

extreme weather events have only a 5% chance of occurring.