Who's paying for the Golden Square road "improvements"?

boris1066

Who is picking up the tab for the shambolic roadworks taking place on Europa Boulevard. AS it's to facilitate access to the multi storey car park I trust that the Golden Square owners have got their cheque books at the ready. I definitely don't think that the Council Tax Payers should carry the cost of this

latest attempt to make this car park function. The last attempt was to instal lights on the Cock Hedge roaundabout the cost of which was split between WBC / GS.

And why does it always take six weeks to do minor alterations to Warringtons roads ?

The access/exit from/to the GG car park was a totally contrived arrangement to enable the GG extension to be sited where it is. All that's happened, is that most retailers have moved there from other parts of the TC leaving empty shops elsewhere. Now they've realised the access/exit is inadequate, they're trying to modify it - perhaps they could modify that stupid mini-roundabout into the Bus Station while they're at it?! :roll: :roll:

I don't think the new Golden Square has grown significantly since it's approval and redevelopment and it's new car park was built Obs so how can you blame it on more retailers moving in? Surely they knew the capacity of new GS shops when it was done and that capacity has not increased.

Maybe they did under estimate the demise of the rest of the Town Centre by agreeing to it though and the fact that other areas/show/carparks would suffer due to the redirection of shoppers.

Notice some traders from outside of the GS are now offering to re-imburse shoppers with the (now reduced) £1 fee for parking at the market car park.

Completely agree with you about the mini roundabout near the bus station it does seem a bit daft and people often seem to drive 'over' without realising.

All in all Warrington's not too bad though compared to other cities.

If the data can be accessed, it would be interesting to see the locations of all retailers now using the GG extension, PRIOR to it being built? I think they were gagging to get a major retailer in, and the price was the new extension - but re-shuffling the pack doesn't make it any bigger. :shock: :shock:

Who is picking up the tab for the shambolic roadworks taking place on Europa Boulevard. AS it's to facilitate access to the multi storey car park I trust that the Golden Square owners have got their cheque books at the ready. I definitely don't think that the Council Tax Payers should carry the cost of this

latest attempt to make this car park function. The last attempt was to instal lights on the Cock Hedge roaundabout the cost of which was split between WBC / GS.

And why does it always take six weeks to do minor alterations to Warringtons roads ?

Soooooo Sorry about the mistake. Good job y'all no where you're going !!!

However who is paying for it ? Why does it take so long (6 weeks scheduled) to complete a modification which on the face of it is pretty straight forward ??

couple of things.....

Obs....what is GG?

secondly, it shows that the stupid bloody councillors and council officers in this town have got it all wrong if the shops are having to refund parking charges to get people to shop in the town.

When will they bite the bullet and stop charging and get some of the footfall back from the Trafford Centre and Widnes?

Surely, the entrance to that car park was a 'design fault'.

I drive a small car and that was a tight enough turn for me. Surely, the entrance must have made life difficult for larger cars and I would guess that vans had no chance.

I don't know who designed the car park and its entrance but surely they should be made to pay the cost of having to correct it.

Sheila - it was a contrived access/exit arrangement, together with that stupid mini-roundabout into the Bus Station; just to allow the GS extension to fit into the site and get planning permission, and to get a Debenhams. The idea of Midland Way as an "expressway", with another traffic light junction, was just part of the political expediency involved. :roll:

I don't understand your obsession with the mini roundabout at the bus station Obs. From my observations, most of the traffic (and it isn't heavy) consists of buses in and out of the bus station and taxis from Central station. Private cars don't seem to be any problem there. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: