On yer plane?

observer

For the unemployed, it used to be "on yer bike", but with record numbers of young folk now without any prospect of a job, is it acceptable, in the new "global economy" to expect them to jump on a plane and search for work? OR. has the nation state a duty to utilise it's own human resources in it's own best interests? :unsure:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 'hopping on a plane' and hoping to find work abroad is a sensible option as the rest of the world appears to be in the same or worse situation that we are in at the present time. There are an ever growing number of well educated and frustrated youngsters out there seeking work that can't find gainful employment, a recipe for trouble and civil unrest and anarchy if I ever I saw it, I honestly believe that the riots this country experienced not too long ago was nothing to what will be experienced here in the near future, and yes there are the dead heads that don't want to work, or so the the establishment keep telling us, put those together with these well educated young people who have been 'scrapped' before they have been utilised by society and you have a massive 'army' of soldiers looking for trouble.

I don't think "On yer plane (or bike") is relevant these days.

I am currently on the look out for a suitable candidate for a trainee sales position. Once I have found somebody I will be able to develop additional export opportunities, create more manufacturing positions in the local area which, in turn will improve my prospects of eventually being able to retire.

If I look at my list of customers their locations range from Venezuela to Taiwan and I rarely even leave my desk, so the term on yer bike, plane or whatever is fairly irrelevant. There are thousands of customers and sales agents around the world actively looking for reliable manufacturers to supply them. Price is far less of an issue than people imagine. Response is the key factor. I rarely (if ever) lose business on price, I do however frequently lose business on delivery time. I am usually quoting dispatch at 5 - 6 weeks from approval of drawings which isn't too bad but if you then add a further 7 or 8 weeks at sea we lose oput to a local supplier.

Anyway, back to the original point. I need to find a candidate with proven sales skills, a chemical engineering background, proficient in AutoCAD, knowledge of general mechanical engineering and an aptitude to diversify into new business areas. Naturally I cannot find a candidate with all of those skills so I will have to train somebody to fill the role. I have so far had practically no interest in the position, a few people have 'phoned me but once they hear the term "manufacturing" they are are turned off.

Business today is becoming more and more diverse and location is pretty much irrelevant. Our factory is running flat out and we axport 85% of our production. A one time UK half wit politician proudly exclaimed "Britain no longer needs manufacturing" In that moment the entire country began to believe that manufacturing was a dirty word and the tooth fairys in the banking and insurance sector would provide us all with every need.

Wise words Algy - the Devil makes work for idle hands etc. Agree Rex, manufacturing became a dirty word when Maggie decimated our manufacturing base and turned to the City of London as our salvation. Subsequent Governments continued with Labour becoming obsessed with kids "going to Uni" regardless of the relevence to the economy of their courses. We now have an aspirational culture where singing, dancing or playing football is the sum total of ambition. Perhaps it would help, if we had more integration between the needs of the economy and our education curriculum? At the end of the day, we can only prosper, if we export more than we import; and start to earn the money to afford improved living standards. :unsure: :unsure:

I agree entirely obs, I love my local history and when you look back from the late 1800's to 1970 we had developed a vast and diverse manufacturing base in Warrington , engineering, wire, soap, chemicals, rubber, glass, steel, aluminium, paper, cardboard, to name but a few and it has all but disappeared to be replaced by what! an area of industrial units mostly used as a central distribution base for the rest of the country and employing few people, I honestly believe that this country is going now where fast and as for the rest of the world, when a large amount of it falls into recession as it has in the past it resulted in total and all out war and that has the affect of focusing the worlds population into working for a common cause (or two common causes), creates jobs for everyone affected, reduces the worlds population and when it is over, people have a massive feeling of relief and those that come through it unscathed, an enormous sense of patriotism, after the last two world wars the population in this country really thought they had never had it so good, must say it didn't last very long though.

There's no shortage of jobs suitable for the youngsters in this country - there wouldn't be a million eastern europeans working over here if not.

The problem is that the 50%+ of UK young people who've been to university and got themselves "degrees" in mickey mouse subjects now consider themselves to be "graduates", and as such think they're entitled to walk straight into a £25K a year job with no experience.

As I said, there's plenty of minimum wage and just above jobs out there for anyone who's actually willing to graft a bit. Ideal for a young person living at home or house sharing.

There's no shortage of jobs suitable for the youngsters in this country - there wouldn't be a million eastern europeans working over here if not.

The problem is that the 50%+ of UK young people who've been to university and got themselves "degrees" in mickey mouse subjects now consider themselves to be "graduates", and as such think they're entitled to walk straight into a £25K a year job with no experience.

As I said, there's plenty of minimum wage and just above jobs out there for anyone who's actually willing to graft a bit. Ideal for a young person living at home or house sharing.

And that is a fact is it Inky?.

We've currently got over 30 Poles working as machine minders in one of my customers. Most of them speak pretty good English, but language does still prove to be a barier sometimes - especially when trying to teach them the technical intricacies of the machines they're running.

The customer would much rather employ Brits, but can't get them to apply so they often have to go to the trouble and expense of providing their Polish employees with additional support and time off to sort out accomodation issues and the like.

Of course, they're minimum wage jobs - but with a 25% uplift for working shifts over 24/7 that's not a bad wage for a youngster.

Minimum wage plus 25% works out at nearly £16K a year. Add in a few overtime shifts providing sickness and holiday cover and these guys are quite easily earning in excess of £18K.

Not a bad income for a 21 year old without family commitments!

How much do you think an employer should be offering before expecting a youngster to haul themselves out of bed and away from Facebook, Lt?

May be for a 21 year old inky, but not as a main wage for a family!

30 off the unemployment figure is still 30 off the figure regardless of their age.

with record numbers of young folk now without any prospect of a job.....

......and this thread was specifically about youth unemployment right from its first post.

I don't no where you get your figures from inky but their is not enough jobs fr young people, Jensen we have record levels of youth unemployment

that is what he said Kije...... but if we have enough work for a million economic migrants, or if we have a million economic migrants taking jobs here, there will be a million less jobs for the indiginous population to do....... and even if you create more jobs for the other million, more economic migrants will come to take those jobs and undercut the labour rates too because we can't stop them.....

just arguing that "our youngsters won't do those type of jobs" is a bit old hat now as the youth unemployment is spriralling and they can't all be lazy and won't take a job can they?

which businesses are shouting at the government? Certainly not the ones that employ cleaners or carers or fruit pickers or even those employing semi skilled jobs, warehousemen, fork truck drivers and even skilled workers like plumbers, electricians, joiners because they are the ones employing the Eastern Europeans on minimum wage and sometimes even less to do jobs here that previously paid more.

The self same British workers you profess to support are being pushed out of jobs to allow lower paid economic migrants to take over their roles because back home, our minimum wage is like a kings ransom to them..... as I said before, not everyone on the dole wants to sit at home on their arses and while we have people who want to work but can't, we should not have economic migrants working and taking jobs in this country