Organ Donation?

observer

:angry: I think that way and yes I for one, and I'm sure many others likewise, donate to charity.

To illustrate just one way I give to charity, and here I breaking my own rule by saying that I do it (simply because it's my own business). At the end of Ramadan I ditributed 50 pounds to each of 27 poor families in the village to help them to celebrate the feast of Eid. When stayig in Cairo, I give alms to most of the beggars I pass on the streets. I say most because I only give to the genuinely poor and not the professional beggars.

So, all in all I am not completely selfish.

Cleo, do you give blood or is that not allowed?

I had 8 pints many years ago for which I am extremely grateful.

If one of your family needed a kidney etc, would you not donate one? Not being piccie, but trying to understand.

When Jehovah's Witnesses are prepared to allow their children to die rather than give them blood, I just don't understand. I always though that blood was thicker than water. :shock:

We are allowed to give blood.

I would do anything if one of my children or their children's life depended on it so it goes without saying that, failing all else I would donate to them.

My decision is my own personal decision and nothing to do with religion like the Jehovah's Witnesses.:)

Ok understood.

If you want to donate then YOU OPT IN.

Don't you opt out advocators realise that you are surrendering yourselves to ownership by the government. Basically what you are doing is saying to them. You own me, you own my wife/husband, you own my children. You are surrendering your freedom. Get it? SURRENDERING YOUR FREEDOM!

You are surrendering your freedom. Get it? SURRENDERING YOUR FREEDOM!

Kije is OK with surrendering his freedoms Cleo.... that's why he is a Euro lover!!

Personally, I tend to agree with leaving things the way they are.

If I ever needed a kidney I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered.... of course I wouldn't. If that makes me selfish, then so be it; I can live with that.

If you want to donate then YOU OPT IN.

Don't you opt out advocators realise that you are surrendering yourselves to ownership by the government. Basically what you are doing is saying to them. You own me, you own my wife/husband, you own my children. You are surrendering your freedom. Get it? SURRENDERING YOUR FREEDOM!

WHAT freedom??? It is all relevent!!

Wait till one of your loved ones die and the Hospital tells you 'No, you can't have the body till we have removed all the spare parts'.

'But we want to give him/her a decent burial'. (sob)

'Sorry, you will just have to wait till we have finished taking out anything usefull to us then you can have what's left to bury'.

'But she/he is our mum/dad and we want to bury him/her with dignity.' (sob)

'Sorry, no point in you shedding tears, the law says we can take whatever we want. She/he may have been your mother/father but the government owns the body and the government gave us permission to loot it before letting you have what is left over.'

Remember the national outcry when parents discovered that hospitals had removed organs from their dead babies and they had not buried the complete child?

And who is to say they will only take organs for transplant if given the right to raid any body they see fit to? Who is to say that Auntie Ethel's heart won't end up in a jar on the shelf? Or Uncle Herbert's lungs? Did'nt he smoke 40 cigarettes a day? What a gunged up pair of lungs he had. And what about Cousin Edgar's brain? God, he was a clever bugger that one! would be worth pickling his brain for future reference!

When they take blood samples from us all (which they seem to do all the time these days no matter what) or other bodily tissues how do we know thay are not using these for something else after the event? When we have teeth extracted is there anything in the tooth that could be useful to scienticts ?

How about when people have operations and bits are removed... what happens to those ?

Maybe Lt K has a point there Cleo.

I think when you have little bits removed before or during an operation they may go to pathology for examination re the cause of the bit having to be removed or to find the best form of treatment for the ailment and by the time they have finished slicing it up for microscopic examination etc., there would not be much left to do anything with. Alternatively, like my teeth it goes into a bin for incineration. However, if a bit has had to be removed during an operation it is because it's diseased and non functionable so of no use for sticking into anybody else.

"Why should you sign out" Cleo? Cos it would be easier and simpler, than having to "sign in" (as now), and more organs would become available. My only concern would be to ensure that those who do "sign out" never receive the benefits of a transplant - after all, we would'nt want to violate their bodies would we?! :roll: