Organ Donation?

observer

Not quite sure about that, but more people should donate, it is something you should opt out of instead of opt into

If there is one thing that rankles me it is the opinion by some people that we should opt out of organ donation rather than opt in.

Now, I wonder, if the same thing applied to a deceased person's accumulated wealth and property, i.e. it all went to the government unless they had opted out, would those same people agree or would they protest vigorously against it? There would be an uproar!

Don't bother telling me that a dead person's organs are no good to him/her after they are dead but family and close friends are entitled to and benefit from a deceased person's wealth. Not interested! I am interested that my organs are MY organs. I came into this world with them and I will exit with them. Let those who hold some vain belief that a part of them will live on after their death by donating their internals donate them if it gives them pleasure so to do but shut up about this damned opting out scheme and let nature (not science) take it's course. :angry:

• Downvote 1

:shock: I don't think most people donate due to a vain belief they will somehow 'live on' Cleo :unsure: If things were left completely to nature and there was no medical science or intervention then most of us would have probably popped our clogs years ago one way or another.

So, providing you don't expect an organ from anyone else Cleo, should you ever need a transplant - that's fine: you would "opt out" of being a donor, which should immediatley exclude you from the recipient data base. If your not prepared to give, then you should never be allowed to receive. So everyone's happy - sorted. :wink:

But if/when the database has a little 'hickup' or if someone says their relative definately DID opt out but still seems to be on there... what then... would they just go ahead and remove or argue it out while keeping great aunt Ethel on ice ? :unsure:

I can see both sides but I think it would be easier if they just got more people to opt in as it could be a right old mess otherwise.

Having just read a little about it (as I thought they were going to pay for all funerals of people who donate). I now realise that they are actually only thinking of paying for the funerals of those 'donationes' after people have died but who were not already on the register. So really they are paying their families to 'agree' then.

They say it might help surviving relatives at a difficult time :? I don't think I would say 'oh go on then cos at lease we'll get a free funeral out of it.. 'yippee' :|

So, providing you don't expect an organ from anyone else Cleo, should you ever need a transplant - that's fine: you would "opt out" of being a donor, which should immediatley exclude you from the recipient data base. If your not prepared to give, then you should never be allowed to receive. So everyone's happy - sorted. :wink:

Too true observer! I dont want anybody elses spare parts inside me. I would rather die because I have no fear of death. And don't worry about it observer I would emphasise that fact to the medical team tending me - I DO NOT WANT ANY TRANSPLANT! YOU WILL NOT GIVE AND NEITHER WILL YOU TAKE ANY SPARE PARTS THANK YOU VERY MUCH! If it means my dying then so be it.

Ok observer, you feeling assured now? :)

BTW, you seem to have missed my point. That is we should not have to opt out in the first place. Those that want to donate should Opt in.

Would opt in but not sure if there is anything that would be of use to anybody.

Eyesight going, hearing went dodgy years ago, dickey ticker, liver on its way to being a good sole for a boot,lungs just about working.

Kidneys might be ok and spleen should be sound enough (whatever that does it still appears to be doing it)

Only thing that is in top condition is the brain (never gets used so should be fine) :oops:

Still there is always medical science to leave my remains to. Might give the odd budding surgeon a bit of a laugh if nothing else. :mrgreen:

I suspect you will be on the 'warning !! remember to check the database and reject at all costs' pile there Evils. They may want your wardrobe, zimmer and stair lift as they are obvioulsy strong and still useful (other topic) :wink::lol:

Can I have your brain though... and you can have my heart but be warned you may turn into a softie when it comes to lost/missing animals :wink:

Nice to know Cleo, that you would not help someone to live after your death, opting out is by far the best way to save lives, and even because you are against it. It remains a good idea. You must have your reasons. If after I die, I can give someone some more time with their family I would do it. What's your problem if you feel stongly about it, as you do, you could opt out. :wink:

Kije,

the simple fact of the matter is that at the moment, the doctors or whatever would have to produce a document or consent form to show you wanted to donate..... if it was the other way round, it would be very easy for them to lose a document that said you didn't want to be cut up after death.... they could then take what they want!

Having seen some of the coverups that have gone on with organ donations and the stealing of body parts for experiments over the years, I would prefer it to stay the way it is now and I can opt in if I want to.

LtKije, how is opting out the best way to save lives? I would have thought that opting in would be better. As for myself, once I'm dead I will lose interest very rapidly in what happens to my remains and any one is welcome to use whatever they find still of use. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Nice to know Cleo, that you would not help someone to live after your death, opting out is by far the best way to save lives, and even because you are against it. It remains a good idea. You must have your reasons. If after I die, I can give someone some more time with their family I would do it. What's your problem if you feel stongly about it, as you do, you could opt out. :wink:

It is my body and everything connected to it is mine. Why should I HAVE TO OPT OUT? Let those who want to donate opt in. END OFF! :angry:

IF they can find anything of use in my body they are welcome to anything. the brain is not worth having unless they want to sick electric probes into it to see what works.

Thought in the land of mummification ALL the organs were removed.

In the days of the ancient pharoahs, Peter, for whatever reason, the organs of the pharoahs and high ranking people WERE removed BUT were still interred in pottery jars along with the body. In modern Egypt, however, that practice no longer exists and the body is interred intact.

And anyway I am British not Egyptian even though my partner and our children and grandchildren are all Egyptian.

Your logic may be clouded by some irrational notion Cleo; but the fact is when yer dead yer dead, the body (incl organs) will simply rot away; thus aside from a usefull fertilizer, being of no use to anyone else. The other fact is, either through mystical belief systems or just plain neglect, sufficient volunteer doners arn't available, and gimmicks such as a free funeral ain't going to help. SO, the only rational system left, is an "opt out" system, allowing those with some religious hang up, to opt out and to ensure they neither receive a transplant either. As for c*ck ups, no doubt with the British record on data bases, they will occur; so perhaps if someone is given a life saving transplant from Aunty Ethel by mistake, the relatives could demand the return of said organ! :roll:

My Logic is lucid, observer, and there is no irrational notion in my thinking thank you very much. I know perfectly well what happens to the body after it dies, which is why we of the muslim faith inter the body within 24 hours, before it becomes corrupted. On my death my body will be interred and sealed in the family tomb and not buried in the ground so will not be available as a usefull fertiliser.

And I still maintain that it should remain an opt in and not an opt out, regardless of what anyone thinks. I was born a free person and will die a free person, which includes the freedom to decide what will happen to my body afterwards, considering that I am the one who owns it and will not relinquish the ownership for the sake of butchering, thank you very much.

I’m broadly in favour of organ and blood donation and for the opting out method. My reasoning for this is that if any part of my body once I’ve had my fair use of it, can be used to save someone else’s life then that has to be a good thing. That said, I wouldn’t expect people to do the same for me and on that basis, I completely disagree with the logic that unless you offer to donate then you shouldn’t expect anything in return. I wonder if people that think this way ever donate anything to a charity?

On the opting out issue, I support that only because people are dying unnecessarily when they could be saved but for peoples can’t be bothered attitude and that just can’t be right. It doesn’t take two minutes to fill in a donor card and an opt out card, if such a thing exists, would probably be the same.

Bill :)