North Wales

Stallard12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Peter T. But I will admit to being biased, my family originate from Argyle and I have very fond memories of regularly staying at my Grandmothers and one one of my Aunts homes for the duration of the Summer holidays when I was a youngster.

You don't have to go quite as far as Ullapool to enjoy the fabulous scenery, I did Grappenhall to the Cuillins in a tad less than 7 hours last June and I wasn't pushing particularly hard, apart from the M6 and A74M I just trundled along at a nice steady pace taking in the magnificence.

I do occasionally go into Wales if I don't have time to head home, but it usually leaves me less than satisfied and then I just have to head North again at the earliest opportunity.

Actually, I've just had a thought. Don't believe Peter, or myself, the roads are terrible rutted muddy tracks, you need at least a Land Rover to get anywhere, the scenery is awful, the wild animals will tear you apart and you will need to apply for a visa to travel there 8 years before you plan to go.

(phew, I just had a terrible vision of crowded roads and hoards of people getting in my way nest time I head for home :rolleyes: )

Whilst travelling through wales the other week, I came across a small section of road works on the A road I was on..... There were 13 roadsigns that I could see from my position....no wonder Wales costs so much to run.....!!

v5xx82.jpg

and of course; the obligatory speed camera signs!!

Hi Stallard,

I too love North Wales and spend several family camping trips a year in Bala, my girls love the place. I have many images of the place but given how you seem to hanker for the past heres one I took this summer in Bala town and messed about with a little. Enjoy and if you would like any more just ask.

LlynTegid3of1.jpg

Thanks.

Peter I only messed with the levels etc. to age the colours and add grain, all the lettering etc is as it was. There are a couple of shops like this down a side street from the main road in the village. I kept expecting to see Rodney Trotter in 40's period costume to walk out.

I am sure I have shopped in there many years ago as a boy sprout. Think we stopped in to get some paraffin for the storm lanterns whilst we were on our way to cwm bychan or bycham (not sure about the spelling as I was only about ten at the time). Was an out of the way place and very isolated so much so that to set up a neighbourhood watch you would have needed a good astronomical telescope just to see the next door neighbour.

Surprising what memories a photo can invoke as I have not thought about that for decades. as Harry would say "Happy days".

Not mad keen on North Wales to many people their insulting the English in a should be dead language, that English taxpayers paid for them to learn :angry:

Nothing wrong with insulting the English or the Europhiles, but I am curious as to how you know they were insulting the English in Welsh? :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS. Not a lot of difference insulting every Tom, ick and arry who invade our country.

PJ, I was questioning why Kije came up with his post.

I like North Wales and have spent many summers there. In fact in a previous life we had a cottage there on the side of a mountain near Sarn. The only thing I found mildly annoying was the way the switched to Welsh when you walked into a shop. No big deal though.

Makes you wonder though what any of the countries, that the Brits go to for their hols, think of the visitors?

Yes Edward 1st should have been sacked for not finishing the job, Peter I know because I was their with my brother who speaks scots gaelic, not quite the same but you can make out what they are speaking,, what do you think they are doing when they change languages half way though a conversation.

Yes Edward 1st should have been sacked for not finishing the job, Peter I know because I was their with my brother who speaks scots gaelic, not quite the same but you can make out what they are speaking,, what do you think they are doing when they change languages half way though a conversation.

Not quite the same meaning totally different then LK :P

PJ, I was questioning why Kije came up with his post.

I like North Wales and have spent many summers there. In fact in a previous life we had a cottage there on the side of a mountain near Sarn. The only thing I found mildly annoying was the way the switched to Welsh when you walked into a shop. No big deal though.

Makes you wonder though what any of the countries, that the Brits go to for their hols, think of the visitors?

I was in Talybont a few years back on exercise and I walked into a shop with my pal and they did exactly that, (changed language to Welsh) I was at the till about to make my purchase when my friend went into a big tirade. When we got outside my friend, (Fluent Welsh speaker) said the insults about people over the border were too disgraceful to repeat. But it was rather funny seeing the shop keepers face when my friend then told the coach load of people to not spend there money in that shop. :P

I was in Talybont a few years back on exercise and I walked into a shop with my pal and they did exactly that, (changed language to Welsh) I was at the till about to make my purchase when my friend went into a big tirade. When we got outside my friend, (Fluent Welsh speaker) said the insults about people over the border were too disgraceful to repeat. But it was rather funny seeing the shop keepers face when my friend then told the coach load of people to not spend there money in that shop. :P

I'm sure it happens just as it does in all countries with a different language than English. Perhaps they feel on safe ground as the English are supposedly notoriously lazy/arrogant when it comes to learning foriegn languages