North Wales

Stallard12

This is a gentle reminder which you may or may not need. Watched a travel show last night about North Wales and it brought back all of my memories of training and bike racing there. Denbigh, Ruthin, Bala, St Asaph, Llangothlen etc., so easy to forget how beautiful they are. Unfortunately I no longer have the chance to visit them, but y'all live on the doorstep and y'all also know what Joannie Mitchell sang, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wales is indeed a beautiful place Stallard and we go quite a lot, infact thanks to having a dog and a caravan it is the only place we ever seem go.

Where was your favourite place as some of us may have photo's to show you. St Asaph is, as you know, very close to the likes of Rhyl and Prestatyn and they are not places I would ever want to go to these days but just my opinion.

As Baz says though the speed cameras and over-zealous police hiding in bushes in Wales over the years have sort of made it a bit scarey and drivers who 'know' are on pins all the time. Those who don't know soon come to realise :wink:

But saying that you rarely see the number of 'Richard Heads' on the roads there these days as you do elsewhere so it must be working. Once bitten twice shy so to speak. (EEK not calling you a 'Richard Head' there Baz before you eat me alive).

One thing I like about Wales is that it has not been over developed with housing as other area's have. It still retains it's unspolit beauty in that respect and the sea and beaches are without doubt cleaner than they ever were when we used to go as kids. The landscape is stunning but maybe the unpredictable weather lets it all down at times.

Ahh so I clearly type as slowly as I 'allegedly' drive as there was only Stallards first post and Baz's reply when I was typing mine :unsure::lol:

I once joined in with an online 'chat' session with 'Richard the Bruns' and he was a scarey and stubborn bloke.

Believe it or not he was apparently the chap who brought in the speed awarenss courses which allow people with no previous convictions to opt into a course and pay a fine rather than get points on their licenses.... unless you were caught on his patch in Wales as tough points and a fine regardless. Figure that one out :roll::lol:

Anyway back to the nicer thoughts and memories of Wales :D

Where are your favourite places and why ?

Personally I spent a lot of 'activity' time around Ruthin, the Horseshoe Pass, Corwen, Llangothlen, Bala and Snowdonia. Used to have a trainingg week every year in Llanberris - love 'em all. Spent a lot of ACTIVITY time in Rhyl, but that's another story.

Once had a four day golf holiday with three friends, in Llanfairfechan. Stayed in a pub and the only problem was that we had to speak with a fake Welsh accent all weekend. Every night in the bar at closing time, we would stand with everyone else and mime to 'Land of my Father'. Very pretty even though it pissed down the whole time. Still, I like the Welsh and love the language.

How I wish that webcam interactive forum chats were available on here. I'd love to see and hear you singing that Stallard with the accent :lol::lol:

I haven't got any recent pics of the area's you mention although I do have a few recent pics of Snowdon taken from the Llyn Peninsula (quite some distance away) through both the sun, clouds and the rain. Not that they would be worth uploading as it's just a mountain in the distance... sorry. Some nice beach picures though so I may upload some of those tomorrow.

Google earth/google maps satellite may be your best bet though.

Check out the satellite views of the sea's coastline as you can see all the underwater river/inlet/formations and it's pretty good unless you have canoed there and now realise what was actually under you at the time :shock:

My next door neighbour was Welsh and she used to cringe and laugh everytime we used to say where we were going. We never could pronounce them correctly no matter how hard we tried or however many times she corrected us. :oops:

Very nice of you Dizzy - always appreciated. Don't suppose you ever took a photo of Mrs Brian's toast/ marmalade soldiers did you? Little place on the main road through Llanberris, her husband had a barber's shop in the parlor - Brian the Hair !!!! Half a dozen of us could demolish ten plates full every breakfast.

Stayed in a pub and the only problem was that we had to speak with a fake Welsh accent all weekend. Every night in the bar at closing time, we would stand with everyone else and mime to 'Land of my Father'. Very pretty even though it pissed down the whole time. Still, I like the Welsh and love the language.

Mae'n debyg ei fod yn canu fel John Redwood, eh Stallard? :lol:

Sounds good to me Cleo !!! By the way, my Welsh (!!!) really is rusty, I should have written 'Mrs Bryan's'.

Just to illustrate the wild nightlife in llanberris at the time, one night we went to the local cinema, a wooden shack with benches. We watched a movie called Daffyd of the White Rock all in Welsh. All I know is that it wasn't a comedy, cos we were the only ones not crying. Stuck it out for two hours though, which illustrates the quality of the alternates.

I have been banned from Wales as every time I have been it has rained. remember a time when Mrs sid went for a two week holiday there with her parents. I stayed at home to rebuild a wall in the back. from the Monday til Saturday it was the hottest weather we had had all decade. I went to visit them on the Sunday and it never stopped raining once the whole day. the following week was back to the heatwave.:angry:

We go to Llandudno with Shearings. As they don't leave until the afternoon of the last day, they have a trip out to all the back roads of North Wales, ending up at the white church with all the Canadiabn soldiers buried there (died of flu after the end of the first world war).

If there is a more beautiful countryside trip in Britain, I have yet to make it.

Happy days

Sorry Harry, but North West Scotland (Highlands)has the edge. Ullapool, Kyle of Lochalsh, Ardmair Bay, Pitlochrie etc.

And just over the border at this time of year is Sanquar where the leaves on the deciduous trees are changing to many colours.

PS. And I have had more holidays in North Wales than in Scotland.

I've never heard of those places Peter but I just googled and they are indeed stunning places. One heck of a long way though according to the map directions especially at the speed I drive :wink:

The images I saw sort of reminded me of Wales in a way though :oops:Please don't shout at me as I am only commenting and not being sarky or anything

I've never heard of those places Peter but I just googled and they are indeed stunning places. One heck of a long way though according to the map directions especially at the speed I drive :wink:

The images I saw sort of reminded me of Wales in a way though :oops:Please don't shout at me as I am only commenting and not being sarky or anything