Warrington Climate Change Impact?

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: Actually I do have some pictures of farmland as one of my sons owns a farm, as does one of my daughers-in-law, however, they are on the other pc, which is not working and in need of repair.

But please get away from the idea that the the irrigation system is a flood control. We both know that the irrigation system is constructed to bring water to the farmlands so the farmers do not need to transport it from the river manually. With or without the irrigation system the Nile would flood were it not for the Aswan Dam and the barrier, and there-in-as-much the irrigation system is NOT a flood control system.

The Mersey’s not on the same scale as the Nile but while you can beat us on size, we’ve got you licked when it comes to smell.

I think I’ve posted this link before that shows the sluice gates at Latchford locks allowing excess water from the Mersey to pass though into the lower part of the ship canal.

At the time, the river looked pretty high at Bridge Foot so you could imagine how it might have been if all this water had to go the same way. :shock:

Bill :)

The source of the River Nile is believed to be Lake Victoria. The river Nile is actually formed at the joining of the White Nile, which originates at Lake Victoria, and the Blue Nile, which originates in Ethiopia. They join together to form the River Nile in Sudan. From there the River Nile flows northwards to empty into the Mediterranean Sea so I would say it was outgoing flooding while stressing again that the River Nile has not flooded in Egypt since 1970 after the building of the Aswan Dam.

Here endeth the lesson for today :wink:

The source of the River Nile is believed to be Lake Victoria. The river Nile is actually formed at the joining of the White Nile, which originates at Lake Victoria, and the Blue Nile, which originates in Ethiopia. They join together to form the River Nile in Sudan. From there the River Nile flows northwards to empty into the Mediterranean Sea so I would say it was outgoing flooding while stressing again that the River Nile has not flooded in Egypt since 1970 after the building of the Aswan Dam.

Here endeth the lesson for today :wink:

:D :grin: :D

So a tad different to the Mersey flooding, if it should happen again? :shock::wink:

• 4 weeks later...

You could encourage them to give up two, though trade, but we cannot do that till we have given up ourselves

You mean STOP buying their cheap but excellent quality goods? You surely jest. Or maybe stop buying Chinese/Indian take-aways or going to their restaurants?

Or stop going abroad on holiday. That will keep the carbon footprint down. :roll:

Our per capita emmissions exceeds that of China or India at the moment - do you believe for one second, that the populations of the developed world will forgoe their current lifstyles to drop down to third world per capita emmission levels. And do you really believe that the emerging Chinese and Indian middle class will forgoe their new found ability to afford Western style lifestyles? I don't think so. :roll:

No , I mean cut down our Carbon footprint, and when we do they will, China has always said it will take it seriously when the Americans do, we can not expect them to cut unless we do.

Kije... do you realise that when you flew to Goa earlier in the year, your carbon footprint created by the return economy class flight was approximately 2.6 tonnes of CO2. If you took the wife, then that is 5.2 tonnes of CO2 (15 tonnes if you travel business class)..... so the last part of your statement above is a just a teensy bit hypocritical wouldn't you say?

Or are you taking the do as I say not as I do approach that the politicians have?

Just wondering and looking forward to your response..... and wondering where you are going to plant all those trees!!

Or you could choose one of the following options.... http://www.carbonfootprint.com/offset.aspx?o=5.207&r=CalcFlight&defra=true

I was talking about power stations (coal fired) the Chinese are building a couple a week, and unlike the Europeans but like the Americans they are using very dirty coal, and have always said they will move on carbon when the Americans will. Not quite sure where I holiday came into it.