Warrington Climate Change Impact?

Geoffrey Settle

I believe that they found a seal once at Woolston Eyes due to the high tide of the Mersey breaching Howley Weir.

Quite right our climate changes continuoulsy, I remeber my Geograhpy school teacher telling us that this would eventually lead to bannanas being grown up in Scotland. Since then it has been compounded by the consumption of fossil fuels to a greater or lesser degree celcius.

Prof David Smith - Climatologist

:rolleyes:

If anyone knows he will although his expertise are really in Scotland where he used to spend a lot of time chipping away at rocks - Geomorphology and Climatology were never my strengths - mine were Economic and Human Geograhy so they say :wink:

Here is his assocaiates assessment of the impact on business

Impact on Business

I will have to track down WBC's Climate Manager and find out more. :idea:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice in that "Impact on Business" assessment, the alarm is being raised by the Association of British Insurers. No conflict of interest there then. The Insurance companies wouldn't be interested in scaring people into taking out more insurance just in case these outlandish guesses actually come about would they? Zurich Insurance is also in the business of climate alarmism. The truth is that there hasn't been an increase in extreme weather events (in fact since hurricane Katrina the hurricane seasons have been very quiet). :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I’ve just been watching a program on telly about changes in weather patterns over the last century. The records of river levels (and hence rain fall) across the world during this time showed very distinct cyclic patterns that were matched exactly by the patterns of solar activity.

Given this, I think it might be acceptable to pay someone to be responsible for assessing potential flood damage in the town but that’s where their remit should end.

Bill :)

A little project for Geoff.

A few years ago, (not many), insurance companies decided to more or less double house insurance in Latchford because they discovered that it was a likely flood area.

My question is, with the proposed work to be done that will protect the houses if Latchford, will the cost of House Insurance come down?

Yes, but what would people in London know about the flood risk in Warrington. I’d bet most don’t even know where Warrington is let alone where it’s most likely to flood. We do need someone local to co-ordinate and take responsibility, we can’t just say we don’t want anyone just because global warming / climate change is something we don’t particularly agree with.

Providing the person does his job correctly and doesn’t start telling us the only way to stop Latchford from flooding is to disconnect our mobile phone chargers then I’m not too fussed.

As for the insurance, they have to look very carefully at the predictions and they will have an impact on premiums. The problem as I see it though is that most of the assessments are based on computer models and in my experience, some of these can have major failings. It ‘s been suggested that Warrington (based on a computer model) is the sixth highest flood risk area in the country however the model doesn’t apparently take into account effects of the ship canal. Whoops! :oops:

A little project for Geoff.

A few years ago, (not many), insurance companies decided to more or less double house insurance in Latchford because they discovered that it was a likely flood area.

My question is, with the proposed work to be done that will protect the houses if Latchford, will the cost of House Insurance come down?

Householders in Burgess avenue off Gainsborough road face the same dilemma as their gardens back on to the 'old' river bed.

About two years ago now, I had all sorts of survey work going on in my car park at work. You wouldn’t believe how many people with hardhats clipboards and GPS equipment it took over a period of about two weeks before a small yellow cross was finally painted on the floor. About a month later, a bore hole team appeared but they couldn’t find the yellow cross, which by now had worn away. :oops: They drilled away for two days then capped of the hole with a small grid like cover. They explained it’s all about flood prevention and that samples of ground water will be periodically taken for analysis.

That was two years ago but to date I’ve never seen anyone take a sample and what’s more, the cover looks completely undisturbed.

For anyone who may be interested.... I realise this is only for the North West of Warrington but maybe similar studies have been carried out elsewhere in Warrington in the past couple of years too. I haven't looked

Final (indpeth) 52 page report and findings as a result of combined works by WBC, Environment Agency (EA_ and United Utilities(UU). (North West Warrington)

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/documents/manage/surfacewater/swmp1-warrington.pdf

taken from here... (archived DEFRA Website) where there is short explanation of 'why'

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/manage/surfacewater/swmppilotwarrington.htm

and here is the Warrington Flood Risk Management Report - March 2011

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Warrington_Flood_Risk_Management_Strategy.pdf

I always thought the Environemt Agency and United Utilities were the main two bodies when it comes to looking into flooding and determining what actions need to be taken rather than WBC ?

PS It's still raining :(

Very interesting Dizzy. I notice from the plans that my property isn't at risk of flooding (even before new defences are built) although it was at risk 5 years ago according to the EA then, so that would indicate to me that the risk is receding rather than increasing. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Very interesting Dizzy. I notice from the plans that my property isn't at risk of flooding (even before new defences are built) although it was at risk 5 years ago according to the EA then, so that would indicate to me that the risk is receding rather than increasing. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'd be more inclined to say that they have'nt got a bloody clue what they are doing to be honest!!

Is it not the nature of rivers to flood occasionally? Indeed, in Egypt they rely on it! Is this area of "flooding" known as the "flood plain", an area of boggy terrain that allows for the storage of excess water, nature's soak away. And was this "flooding" ever a problem throughout the history of the river, until folk began to built on it and cover every sq metre in concrete? :unsure:

If anyone knows he will although his expertise are really in Scotland where he used to spend a lot of time chipping away at rocks - Geomorphology and Climatology were never my strengths - mine were Economic and Human Geograhy so they say :wink:

Professor Smith ? Isn't he sponsored by Climate Change Risk Management a "leading climate change consultancy "

The Prof's not likely to say anything to argue with the hand that signs his cheques is he ?

As to Climate change impact on national prosperity the Government is beginning to realise that comitment to the ridiculous targets set for CO2 reduction are more likely to sink the economy than the demise of the Euro.

While you're consulting with the climate change manager you might ask him how many people are in his department.

Is it not the nature of rivers to flood occasionally? Indeed, in Egypt they rely on it! Is this area of "flooding" known as the "flood plain", an area of boggy terrain that allows for the storage of excess water, nature's soak away. And was this "flooding" ever a problem throughout the history of the river, until folk began to built on it and cover every sq metre in concrete? :unsure:

:rolleyes: Since the Aswan Dam was built in 1970 there has been no flooding of the Nile in Egypt. When the Nile gets high the barrage in Edfina is opened to allow the nile to drain into the Mediterranean Sea. 8)

I can assure you observer there is zero flooding of the Nile in Egypt. As a matter of fact there are houses built on the very edge of the nile banks plus there is the veterinary faculty, which was at one time one of King Farouk's palaces.

I was attempting to insert a couple of pictures from my pc which shows the buildings on the banks of the Nile and the barrage which contols its' flow into the Mediterranean sea. But can't fathom (pardon the pun) how to do it