Do Salesmen knocking on your door bug you?

Geoffrey Settle

Just had a SKY guy around claiming I had spoken to someone about their services two weeks ago. :angry:

He then asked me if I lived at no. 99 I said take a look at the sign and the road name is just over there you can check that to make sure you are where you think you are.

I then explained that I had not talked to anyone and he dam well knew it and told him to move on.

With this he then acused me of being racist - so I asked him for his definition of the term - I was starting to get annoyed.

I then had a closer look at his badge I think it had Chan on it - he accused me of assaulting him :twisted:

Again I told him that I had had enough and it was time to leave but he started going down the assault line and quickly whipped out a badge with Police on it from his back pocket - now that really annoyed me and again I told him to leave and that I was not treating him any differently than any other salesman knocking on the door under false pretenses.

If this guy is legitamate then why doesn't he take the hint :?:

He walked off and then got on his phone for sometime before dissapearing, me and Lucy followed the young well dressed man in a brownish suit but he gave us the slip.

I don't like being taken for a fool and I don't like being accused of telling lies either.

So watch out there is a SKY man about who isn't what he seems to be.

Pretty sure I saw this chap last night, he was just walking out of the road I live on as I was getting home from work. Sky lost a lot of ground over the hacking scandal, and now this will be worrying them too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

Not surprised they're getting all pushy, pity there's not an equivalent of the Telephone Preference Service for this kind of thing.

If there is one thing that will really fire me up it is unannounced visitors turning up at my door.

I always say to them "Only orphans and puppies arrive unannounced, which are you?" That usually just stops them for a brief spell and they then start on their scripted performance once more. At this point I remind them that I asked a question and I am still waiting for an answer. I will continue to repeat until they choose to be an orphan or a puppy. It doesn't matter which they choose they know they have lost by this time and usually trot off looking slightly bemused wondering why that response wasn't featured in their training.

A colleague of mine once took a different tack. He invited a a doorstep sales person into his home saying he was interested in the goods being offered and then played the part of a real geek, he wanted to know absolutely everything about the product, if the salesman couldn't answer a question he asked him to call his boss and find out the answer. After almost four hours and having requested the salesman made numerous telephone calls he told the salesman he was bored now and maybe he should leave. The salesman was none to chuffed and apart from a bit of choice name calling went off into the evening without knocking on any more doors in the avenue.

"Again I told him that I had had enough and it was time to leave but he started going down the assault line and quickly whipped out a badge with Police on it from his back pocket - now that really annoyed me and again I told him to leave and that I was not treating him any differently than any other salesman knocking on the door under false pretenses."

:shock: This would suggest to me that he attempted to impersonate a police officer, which is illegal, or why else would he be carrying and produce a badge with police on it?

Personally I would have asked him to wait then would have called and informed the police. With any luck they would have arrived in time to arrest him. That would have taught the bugger a lesson! :lol:

I must admit I was waiting for the punchline there Geoff especially when I read the bit about him out a badge with 'police' badge.

So are you joking and have you embellished the tale a little. :oops:

If not Cleo is right and that in itself is an offence and sounds very dodgy to me. If it is as you have said have you reported it?

We had a chap knock at 8pm last night. My son answered the door and the bloke (dressed in brown I think but not young, well not to me anyway) was asking for us to sign up for a certain charity organisation.

I will not name them as that would be unfair.

My son told him he was sure we already did. The chap said we didn't so my laddo shouted me. I was in the kitchen with the back door wide open even though it was dark but locked it as I went to the front. That may seem irrelevant but I thought I'd mention it as if I was at the front someone could get in the back if they were agile. The dog may not have liked it though :wink:

Anyway the bloke had a clipboard with hand writted names? and addresses? on and I told him we did already do it. He said we didn't as we weren't on his list.

I said we did and we pay the chap every month when he comes round and had done for about 3 years.

The bloke blushed and then rather odly said 'yeah we have that in Westbrook'

He still said we weren't on the list and just stood there so my son said 'we pay the bloke who comes round on his bike' and I said 'we have even won a couple of times and received the cheques from ('x' charity) and have not cashed them thus donating it back. WE ARE ALREADY WITH YOU '

The bloke then said for the second time that the database must still need updating and I even turned on the outside light so he could read his list better and he just stared at me in an odd way... said he was sorry for troubling me.... didn't even look at his list....stared at me for even longer (so I didn't look at his list then either) ... then turned with his little back pack and walked off looking sort of lost and saying sorry but hey no probs with me as mistakes do happen.

I did actually think to myself that it all was a bit odd though and jokingly said to my son 'Do you recon he was a scammer and maybe he had walked down the backs and had seen our back door open so knocked on the front' .... but now I'm starting to wonder WAS HE LEGIT OR WHAT ? How come a database would suddenly need to be updated when we have never had anyone else knock in the years we have been 'signed up'? If it was a database wouldn't he have a print out rather than hand written details on a sheet ?

I can't actually recall him having a badge on and I know the chap who collects does. :shock:

Chances are though that Geoff's post has just made me completely paranoid and the charity 'signer upper' was genuine and a nice bloke, but had the wrong info :unsure: In which case I appologise and please ignore my post :unsure:

EEK I didn't actually answer Geoff's topic title question .... I went off on a tangent as usual :blink:

Yes salesmen/women do annoy me a little as they always seem to call at night. That (IMO) is not fair especially for the elderly or people who live alone let alone those with families and/or who may have been working all day.

I had a good looking SKY chap a few weeks ago in the daytime though. He had a lovely smile and I remember it well. He went into great detail but alas they were not actually that much cheaper anyway once we got down to the nitty gritty (can you say that these days) and after a few months we would have veen paying more than we are now and he even admitted it.

As such I declined but the minute he knew I didn't actually pay the current virgin bill anyway he said he needed to come back and speak to the bill payer. WHY cos he had already confirmed that there were no real savings.

Mr Bill payer would not have given him 20 seconds of his time as I make the final decisions and I politely explained that ... but he was adamant he needed to speak to him anyway and said he would call back.

He did and I think he got about 10 seconds.... just enough to say 'Not interested thankyou and I do not do door sales' Door closed !

It must be hard for some of them though as they are only trying to earn a living.

Infact I had a rather nice EON one too in the daytime with a lovely smile too ... sussed it ... they send the good looking lads around in the day in the hope that us ladies are swooned by their looks and charm :lol::wink:

I had British Telecom call me one evening last week asking for me by name, I said go ahead, what do you want? She (because it was indeed a woman) asked could I confirm that I was indeed who I am, to which I just said get on with it whatever you want (I was watching something on the box at the time). She said she couldn't tell me unless I could confirm my identity!! There is only one answer to that...............put the phone down! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My thoughts exactly Cleo. And I'm not even a BT customer, haven't been for many years, so they are only going by outside information that someone with my name has this phone number. The whole world has gone mad, but it's funny to watch at times :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Geoff, why didn't you call Trading Standards or the police? :shock:

I have and said so above Pete they are aware.

The legitimate ones carry id they have to – you do not have to speak to them if you don’t want to – simply so ‘No Thanks and close the door’, don’t hesitate – you are unlikely to see them again – you can always ask to be taken off their database – although some really do act dumb just to confuse. Or simply don’t answer the door in the first place until you have seen who it is from a window or peep hole. <_<

As for the phone calls they have to ask the question and verify they are talking to the bill payer or owner etc – as to what verification this is?

There is an email service that I think you can subscribe to called Ican. They send out regular bulletins about the latest scams etc going on in Warrington.

you can also read about them on the Halton and Warrington Trading Standards website here

ICAN - http://www.tswarrington.co.uk/ican

Sounds a good thing to join tGeoff as it says members get immediate alerts of things in the area so they can alert neighbours etc and spread the word and you can report stuff too. I might join :D

PS... catalytic converters are apparently being pinched in the area :shock:

How do you confirm your identity on a phone?

Simples, just say that you have looked in the mirror and it is definitely me. :mrgreen:

One trick my brother tends to use when asked if he can prove who he is, has even been known to carry a small mirror in his pocket for the purpose of identification.

Well done Geoff :wink: I presume the chap has also been reported to SKY and not just got a personal warning from the police. Disgraceful as from what you said I actually thought he was a con man.

Good idea about the stickers and I may make myself one or print one from the internet.

I'll give you all a giggle though.

I was sat here today (at home) working away on my PC and from the corner of my eye saw someone walk past. Then the dog went off on one barking like mad at the wondow (correction WINDOW but couldn't edit as Peter had already spotted it and commented) like she does when she see's something not right and then there was a knock on the door.

I heard quiet voices but and at the split second I was about to open it ... "click" and the door was opened from the outside and pushed open at full force and stopped as it hit me (so it didn't open all the way)....and then I saw my sons face !!!!!

I shouted 'JESUS CHRIST' followed by 'YOU SCARED THE BLOODY LIFE OUT OF ME YOU COMPLETE ' ....... and then I stopped as I spotted the two jehovas witnesses politely standing to the side of him :oops: It didn't half scare me though.

They had knocked without realising he was only a few steps behind them.

We are still giggling about it, I wonder if they are? My lad said my face was a picture and he couldn't believe I kept bursting out laughing during the 10 minutes they were trying to talk to me. I have that problem ie when I try not to laugh about something if it is not appropriate it makes me even worse and it just sort of shreeks out every now and again until I compose myself. Happened at my mums elderly aunts funeral years ago too which was not good but I managed to make it look like I was sobbing :oops:

Anyway back to today ... Good job I didn't punch my 'intruder' square in the face too I guess as the jehovas do not like violence. Maybe next time if they are not looking :wink:

Especially as he is a special constable from Manchester!!! and pulled the same trick on another resident in my close. :angry:

OK ignore my last long post everyone as Geoff last one wasn't there when I started typing !!

Geoff.. can you just reapeat that incase I got it wrong.

Are you saying that this very same sky man who you and others reported IS a special constable .. and he also works for SKY in his spare time .. and has done what he did to you ie accused you of racism, pulled up outside with another two in the car, blah blah AND has also done the same to others too... and that his police badge IS genuine ??

If the answer to any/all of that is YES then surely he should be relived of his 'police' duties immediately as he certainly does not seem the sort of person to be on the streets in a police type role !

Maybe you should delete this topic too as he will know you reported him and it could come back to haunt you :blink:

OK ignore my last long post everyone as Geoff last one wasn't there when I started typing !!

Geoff.. can you just reapeat that incase I got it wrong.

Are you saying that this very same sky man who you and others reported IS a special constable - YES

.. and he also works for SKY in his spare time PROBABLY the OTHER way AROUND - Specials are part time.. and has done what he did to you ie accused you of racism only me I think don't know about my neighbour - but my neighbour did report him as well because he pulled his warrant card, pulled up outside with another two NO there were another 3 of them but they weren't as well dressed and looked like student types in the car, blah blah AND has also done the same to others too at least one other to my knowledge... and that his police badge IS genuine YES - has the words police on it and has a red centre?? think his name is CHOU or something like it didn't have my galasses on at the time for the small print on the card around his neck with a deep blue cord

If the answer to any/all of that is YES then surely he should be relived of his 'police' duties immediately as he certainly does not seem the sort of person to be on the streets in a police type role ! does sound a bit over the top doesn't it a like a bully

Maybe you should delete this topic too as he will know you reported him and it could come back to haunt you :blink:he knows who I am and who my neighbour is - so if anything happens to us nice knowing you - the local police know who he is - I get a lot worse thrown at me for being a councillor - fortunately no one has physically thrown a punch yet - stones yes - fortunately I can still run and dodge missiles but I'm geting slower and less flexible :wink: so I will have to employ my lone worker training and take my trusty litter picker out with me in case he is hiding behind a hedge

SEE above for replies to your many questions - the thing with posting and emails is that once they are sent they are there for anyone and everyone to use as they please BUT can't be retrieved once they are in the ether.

I did ask for some additional stickers for residents doors but there were only 3 left so I must track down my trading standards officer for some more - mind you you have to stick them on with cellotape :unsure:

Just be aware DIZZY - check before answering your door that you have asked that stranger to your house if not ignore it and if they don't leave contact your local police with the details.

I'm also concerned about the

Royal Society
charity workers who knock on old people's doors these days and get invited into houses or back garden's on a sunny day - what is this all about - they too will be on commission pushing for sales - what is all that about. Is this targetting the vulnerable at least myself and my neighbour ask direct questions and KNOW that we didn't invite these people around based on a so called cold call two weeks ago - especially when in the lastest SKY case every door was knocked on UNTIL it was eventually answered at some time in the day. :evil: