carbon standby

Evil Sid

Saw a news item today about the fact that people were complaining that their energy bills were increasing because of all the equipment they have in standby mode. The advice was to switch offf at the mains that way you save money and reduce your carbon footprint.

So why is it that manufacturers of electrical equipment have started to supply stuff that you cannot turn of unless you turn it off at the plug.

Many years ago I had a TV that when you turned it off with the remote it turned it off and to turn it back on again you had to physically press the on switch.

nowadays even radio/cd players do not have an off switch as such.

We unplug it when we go on holiday too Asp and have never had a problem but we are with virgin, I know BT say you should leave theirs on all the time though :blink:

It's not safe to leave electrical items plugged in as it is a fire hazzard and like already said it uses almost as much elec on standby as it does when it's on :P

So do Virgin. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Do they ? They have never told us to :unsure:

Infact on the odd time we have had to phone them with cable TV or internet problems in the past their first suggesion was always to completely unplug, leave it for a few minutes then plug back in. So how come that always worked if you aren't supposed to unplug them :blink:

So what do you do about Glade plug ins? :rolleyes:

Bill :)

What... glade plug ins receive automatic updates, flippin' heck Bill I never knew that :shock::lol:

Only kidding.... I unplug them or switch the socket off when I go out. I never have them on for more than an hour or so anyway cos they make me sniffle :?

Not putting an on off switch on an appliance sort of makes sense because it not only reduces the cost of the product it also increases the overall reliability. One common misconception is that turning something off at the mains might make it last longer but in reality it’s just the opposite.

Thermal shock apparently (a bit like the weather at the moment!) :D

I believe Virgin send updates to their boxes during the night when most of them are idle. Switching off for a few minutes is just a reboot to overcome a problem. :wink: :wink:

Ahh that must be why we never have any problems as my other half often falls asleep downstairs with the TV/virgin box/modem still plugged in and on. I guess we must catch up that way :lol::wink:

Ok I get that. I wouldn't unplug my kettle, washer, drier mid cycle when they are on as they have a cool own period. But how does that work with TV's, stereos etc?

Are you saying that I should turn my TV off, let it cool down for 10 minutes then unplug it as simply unplugging it while it's on or switching off and immediately unplugging it could damage it? OR are you saying leave it on all the time ?

I always though that some metal snaps more easily if you kept bending it non stop until it's warmed up. A bit like spoons... rub them non stop until they get warm and they will go soft, bend then snap. Rub them a little bit every now and again and they will stay firm and in shape.

Dizz

Not talking about toasters and kettles but delicate electronic circuitry where extremely small components expand and contract slightly as the temperature changes due to current flow. Given the choice, an electronic component would prefer a constant temperature rather than repeated heating and cooling. A set top box for example would probably last longer if permanently left on rather than being switched on and off each day. So the power savings you achieve from turning in on and off should strictly speaking take into account the effects of premature replacement costs.

It’s a very slender argument though that’s almost impossible to prove and in any case and the convenience factor of leaving it on far outweighs this anyway.

From the 'Dont Give Fire a Home' website

Why Switch Off and Unplug at the Socket?

Switching off at the socket AND pulling the plug out (the socket switch could be faulty) is the only way to be sure no electricity is flowing through an appliance.

If left plugged-in, many appliances still have power flowing through them even though they appear to be switched off. The same is true of appliances in 'sleep mode' or on 'standby'.

Lots of electrical appliances have transformers inside or as part of a separate power supply unit. Even when the appliance itself is switched off, electricity still flows through the transformer. If a fault develops, the transformer could overheat and cause fires.

As well as keeping you safe, switching off and unplugging at the wall will save electricity and save you money!

Always switch everything possible off and unplug at the wall before going out or going to bed