"Barefoot Days"

algy

My wife had a 48 page A4 booklet loaned to her called:-

"BAREFOOT DAYS"

GROWING UP IN SANKEY BRIDGES

IN THE 1930s AND 40s

By JOAN RILEY.

If you can obtain a copy of this it makes for very interesting and sometimes amusing reading, Joan was originally brought up in the Union street and Dolmans lane area of Warrington an extremely poor area of the town only surpassed by Oliver street, she moved with her family at a very early age to Sankey bridges and the story relates her experiences in that area through childhood and her adolescent life, although only 48 pages long there is a lot packed into these pages. Unfortunately there are no printing details or information regarding copyright, on the rear jacket is printed: £3:0 (Proceeds to the Special Needs Baby Unit at Warrington General Hospital) due to this I shall not copy it to pass on, I suppose it is possible that there may be copies for loan or sale in the town library.

I think you are correct Cleo, although the copy that my wife had appeared to be in as new condition, it brought many emotional memories back to her as she had been born and bread adjacent to Liverpool road, almost a 'town'y' I suppose, why she married a 'country bumpkin' goodness only knows?. :wink:

The lady published her first book that you refer to in in 2001 and it was mentioned on the WG in Jan 2010 and they interviewed her about her book and the £2000 she had raised for the baby unit. It mentioned the last remaining copies were being sold on the internet.

I have just read elsewhere that she has since sadly died and was apparently half way through her second book. Her son has apparently republished the original, including her additonal work.

The lady published her first book that you refer to in in 2001 and it was mentioned on the WG in Jan 2010 and they interviewed her about her book and the £2000 she had raised for the baby unit. It mentioned the last remaining copies were being sold on the internet.

I have just read elsewhere that she has since sadly died and was apparently half way through her second book. Her son has apparently republished the original, including her additonal work.

Thanks Dizz I have replied via a PM.

Could have been. I used to like listening to Hold Your Plums. Lordy, how it made me laugh! Couldn't believe how dense some people could be. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We are talking 'Scouseland' here you know, and before any of you 'Scousers' start on me most of the paternal side of my family came from 'the pool' and I love the city ESPECIALLY 'THE REDS', there!!! I have come out of the closet and displayed my affection for Liverpool, the best city and team in the country. :oops::blink: