80's great eh?

disgusted

But he would also say that they SHOULD be allowed on motorways..... because they already have that built in cycle lane at the side in the different coloured tarmac!!

Not that cyclists would use that lane of course; oh no, they would be three abreast across the whole carriageway!

• Upvote 1

But he would also say that they SHOULD be allowed on motorways..... because they already have that built in cycle lane at the side in the different coloured tarmac!!

Not that cyclists would use that lane of course; oh no, they would be three abreast across the whole carriageway!

but he wouldn't really Baz, would he? :wink:

I think there also needs to be a slight change to the "rules of the road".

At present HGV's are prohibited from the outside lane, I'd change the wording to restrict them to the inside 2 lanes. It wouldn't make any difference on a three lane motorway, but would prevent the current 3 wagons side by side crawling up the 4 lane sections of the Thelwall Viaduct at 56mph.

It is reassuring that the Police have made a complete business out of targeting motorists this way. It is a real pity that they do not put as many resources into other areas....

Why aren't the plod allowed to keep a percentage of the money recovered from bank robberies or burglaries? they may do a bit to detect those crimes then!

I do have a bike and unlike the majority of the lycra clad eco-nazis I do use the cycle paths which have been provided at such a great expense to us taxpayers of the town

I don't use the bike very often as it is difficult to actually do anything constructive on it!!

So now the idea of raising motorway speed limits (which has been campaigned for regularly by both the AA and RAC for at least the past couple of decades), is now down to the 20's plenty mob? (who have only been ranting for a couple of years)

Anyone who reads your drivel, Rod, will know that you have no shame when it comes to twisting statistics, claiming they prove things which they simply do not, and then going on to make further leaps of logic which would baffle Stephen Hawking - but graduating to re-writing history now?????

How very 1984.

Maybe there's even a career for you writing American World War II screenplays!!!!!!

Blimey Rod.... I wouldn't put a document on the internet with my email address and mobile number on it!!

I am intrigued as to why you say the 80mph debate is political when the 70 limit was only originally introduced because of a fuel crisis and that the majority of countries in Europe already have 80 on motorways (except the wonderful autobahns in Germany of course; with their "all you can eat" speed limits) and 20 in residential areas.....

Just as you claim the 20 limit is the right one for the residential areas, so someone has finally woken up to the fact that 80 is a better motorway limit.....

Could not your intentions be seen as political Rod???

Baz

In my experience, I haven't found an argument yet that became stronger through anonymity. As my email and mobile have been on the 20's Plenty for Us website for the last 4 years then they were hardly official secrets.

The idea that there was some political deal around this issue was clearly stated in the Independent article link which was originally posted ie :-

A source close to the negotiations said: "The Tories wanted to announce the 80mph limit next week because it appeals to their base and they can sell it as promoting business. Meanwhile the Liberal Democrats claim there is strong evidence that, in road safety terms, expanding 20mph zones saves lives. A deal has now been done and will all go into one consultation paper."

I am intrigued by your claim that the "majority" of EU countries have an 80mph motorway limits. The actual figures are :-

Cyprus 62.5

Denmark 68.75

Sweden 68.75

United Kingdom 70

Belgium 75

Finland 75

Greece 75

Ireland (**) 75

Portugal 75

Spain 75

The Netherlands 75

Austria 81.25

Czech Republic 81.25

France 81.25

Germany unlimited but advisary at 81.25

Hungary 81.25

Italy 81.25

Luxembourg 81.25

Poland 81.25

Slovakia 81.25

Slovenia 81.25

I make that about 50/50 and even in Germany there is an advisary speed limit of 130kph (81.25mph)

As I said in the press release, I see that the case for 20/30 or 80/70 are completely different. I only stated some fairly basic laws of physics which would appear to apply to both conditions.

Maybe you should be pleased that as there has been so much support for 20mph limits then this maybe will enable the 70mph limit to rise.

For my part I have no wish to consume 50% more fuel and pay all that extra tax that goes with travelling at 80mph instead of 60mph. I guess the oil companies and the government will love it.

My intentions are far from political. 20mph speed limits are supported by Tory, Labour, Liberal-Democrat, Green and coalition led local authorities. It is an apolitical movement.

Hence I really have nothing to add to the 80/70 argument. You can now return to debating whther cyclists should be able to use the hard shoulder.

Best regards

Rod