80mph?

observer

Ooooh Bill

I have no personal issue with you at all Bill. I never have had and I never will have. I have even TOLD you that !

I shall not comment too much about the parts where you say I called you a 'creep', a 'womaniser' and a 'slug' as how many times am I supposed to have to explain that too so that you don't keep throwing it back at me?

Last time.... If you go back and read them all again (they were ages ago) it is clear to everyone that it was said in a lightheared way ie a JOKE and said in jest due to the topic discussion and was the sort of thing I would say to any 'friend' who I thought had a sense of humour.

Obviously you still do not see it that way as you keep bringing it up. I did also reply the private message(which you refer to and you sent me at the beginning of August) where you brought up a issue regarding your car and also past issues you had. I replied to you at the time (August) in a very nice way and said pretty much what I have just said above but in more detail and with a better explanation and also that I was sorry that for some reason you had clearly taken my funny little comments as 'personal'. You never replied to me though and you have certainly not sent me one about this topic and my comments although your previous post does seem to infer that you have.

Anyway Bill, I will now do as you wish and from now on I will not reply to any of your posts. I can't actually distance myself from them as I have to read them all as I am a mod.... but I will not reply if that is what you would prefer. No probs but please don't talk about anything really interesting or I may have to sit on my hands while reading :unsure:

Have a nice day Bill. Over and Out :wink:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps we can now get back to 80mph.

Even some 30mph limits need altering to 40mph.

Speed in itself is not necessarily, dangerous, but the brain behind the wheel can be.

Like with 20, I think that on ordinary roads that is dangerous,(it also gives a false sense of security to the pedestrian), as has been said when everyone is driving at 50, 60 or 70 on the motorway because some bod decided to slow the traffic down, that is dangerous because there is less concentration needed.

So IMO set it at 80mph BUT more brainwashing as to the consequences of fast driving on motorways.

Agreed Peter and if they make the limit 80 they should make sure that people do not exceed it.

One thing that that has occurred to me though, and may have already seen said, is that if they raise the limit to 80 wont that then cause more frustration towards the slower vehicles which will still be using the same motorways?

By 'slower' I mean the likes of restricred vans/lorries or tailers/caravan pullers for example who are not allowed to exceed 60 on a motorway.

Will they increase this to compensate but surely it could be dangerous if they did.

A lot of truth there Peter but when it comes to the general roads there are instances where the limits don’t seem to reflect the roads in question, some being too high and some too low. I think there’s general agreement that where the limit is set artificially low then it’s likely to be ignored and the police are often reluctant to prosecute people where this is the case. The motorway limits fall into this category hence it’s quite common to end up in quite fast moving traffic where most cars are doing about 80.

Personally, I don’t see a lot wrong with this and it seems the police and the government feel the same way too. Increasing the limit to 80 does of course mean that that the acceptable margins will also have to increase from the current trip point of 84mph to probably over 90mph. The idea that we can increase the limit by 10mph but decrease the point at which a fine will result is clearly bonkers so I cant see that happening.

As for more brain washing, I think I can do without that and in any case, the cost of fuel is having a distinct affect on my right foot. :D

Bill :)

Eh ? I dont recall us ever seeing or calling a very younger drivers <you know whats> on the motorwyay. It's usually lorry drivers, van drivers or the slightly (or definately) older ones and the business men in suits reading their maps and talking on their hands free whilst splashing on their aftershave. Often wondered where they are really going.

I'm past caring now anyway as I've got better things to do and seems like the 80 wont be implemented until a consultation has been done (possibly 2013).

Jeremy says it will save the penguins which is good... but the extra 10mph will make people used 20% more fuel and it will result in more emmisions so will damage the ozone and environment and also probably cause more accidents.

It will be like the 20's thing.. seems like a good idea, some will be happy, some wont, it will cost a fortune to 'discuss' and implement, but may make no real difference either way. Such is life I suppose.

I have one speed warning device and one speed controlling device in my car, one being a Satnav, it 'boings' so loud that your glad to comply and reduce your speed, and yes you can turn the sound down, but let's face it only an idiot would do that, the speed warning device is even louder and can't be turned off under any circumstances, anyway only someone with suicidal tendencies would even consider trying to do so, I married her in 1962. Getting back on topic. my view for what it's worth, is that with the technological improvement of motor vehicles, improved braking, abs, etc. I do believe that the speed limit should be increased to 80mph perhaps even 85mph, let's face it the older element must remember traveling at 70mph plus in what nowadays would be classed as 'rat traps' which compared to today's vehicles, had horrific stopping distances, so as today's generation would say -"bring it on".

:lol::lol: Of course you never get irate, over-react or mis read people's 'simple tales' or posts do you Fatso :wink::P

As for 'not particularly excessive'... well who knows but in all fairness he did say his beeper goes off at 90 so that's excessive in my view when the limit is 70 B)

Anyway, I'm getting bored now but nice to see you and Bill are now on the same side :D

My point exactly, as I said, not particularly excessive at all, just in your mind it is.

I apologise though, until Bill's latest post I had no idea you were a woman

I think Asp was referring to the fact that exhaust gasses don’t contain much in the way of CFCs and so shouldn’t have any affect on Dizzy's ozone layer.

Back to the 80 issue though, I need one final whinge. :D

I used to have a running argument with a girl on another forum who constantly complained about the queue of impatient drivers behind her. Her attitude was, because she never ever exceeded 30mph, she was in the right and the more the idiots behind flashed their lights at her, the slower she would drive. She’d throw a complete hissy fit at my suggestion that driving at two or three mph above the limit rather than below it might make things better.

Put someone like this on a motorway and they’ll probably end up being the one in the middle lane that everyone loves to hate. Obsession with limits and failing see the bigger picture, could be explained by a simple lack of experience but when this extends to deliberately showing other drivers how to drive properly then the person could rightly be considered a total pratt.

This sort of thing was my original gripe here but as usual someone ends up taking things of context and twisting it so I’m a middle lane road hog that shouldn’t be allowed on the roads. I don’t expect everyone to agree with what I say on a public forum but if anyone else wants to get personal then at least have the decency to read what I write first. :x

I used to have a running argument with a girl on another forum who constantly complained about the queue of impatient drivers behind her. Her attitude was, because she never ever exceeded 30mph, she was in the right and the more the idiots behind flashed their lights at her, the slower she would drive. She’d throw a complete hissy fit at my suggestion that driving at two or three mph above the limit rather than below it might make things better. Put someone like this on a motorway and they’ll probably end up being the one in the middle lane that everyone loves to hate. Obsession with limits and failing see the bigger picture, could be explained by a simple lack of experience but when this extends to deliberately showing other drivers how to drive properly then the person could rightly be considered a total pratt.This sort of thing was my original gripe here but as usual someone ends up taking things of context and twisting it so I’m a middle lane road hog that shouldn’t be allowed on the roads. I don’t expect everyone to agree with what I say on a public forum but if anyone else wants to get personal then at least have the decency to read what I write first. :x Bill :)

I would have to say that if this lady was doing 30 mph in a 30 limit then she was driving correctly and the other drivers were at fault for harassing her, but on the other hand, in similar situations, I have stopped to allow the pratts behind me to continue their way driving at speed on roads which did not really warrant it. On one occasion, the car behind me was tailgating at 30, I had spotted a police vehicle 3 cars back with lights flashing and siren sounding so signaled and drew in to the side. This young lady behind me had clearly not seen what was going on behind her as she proceeded to overtake me at speed and then suddenly realised that a police car was bearing down on her at speed. She then had to allow it to pass so that slowed her down anyway! It all comes down to being aware of the law, the traffic around you and having consideration for other drivers.

Silverlady, that’s not quite what I said is it?

The girl in question didn't say she was doing 30mph, she said that she never ever went above 30mph! :roll: This’d mean that she’d either have to drive with her eyes glued to the speedometer or sufficiently below the limit that she didn’t have to keep looking.

IMO if anyone drives in such a way that there’s always a queue of irate drivers behind them then I ‘d say that that person is driving too slowly and showing no consideration for other road users. The I’m in the right and bugger everyone else attitude might be acceptable on this forum but on the roads it probably accounts indirectly for more accidents than we can imagine.

I don’t have any issues at all with people that drive slowly but I do have big issues with those who take the moral high ground and try to teach others a lesson on the roads.

CFC stands for Chlorofluorocarbon which is an ORGANIC compound containing carbon, chlorine and fluorine.

Carbon monoxide is an inorganic gas.

Back to school LtKije :wink: :wink:

CFC's are/were mainly but not entirely used to produce Arcton gasses (ICI Product name), Freon gasses (Dupont's product name) both manufacturers manufacturing to the same chemical formula, these gasses were used as refrigerating gasses in industrial and domestic refrigeration and about 20+ years ago were thought to be the products mainly responsible for the depletion of the ozone layer, consequently both companies developed alternative replacement gasses.

Other offending products were the Halon family of gasses used for filling BCF fire extinguishers and also used by airport fire services to blanket aircraft fuel fires.

below is a list of CFC's.

ICI had Arcton and Halon plants on their Rocksavage works on their Runcorn site where I had the 'bloody' misfortune of being responsible for quite a few overhauls of some of those plants, CM's & BCF to name but two. :blink:

ScreenShot002-1.jpg