80mph?

observer

moped are restricted... and you can easily unrestrict them too (I believe) :wink:

Does seem a good idea on cars though but chances are it would cost too much at the manufacturing end and would possibly put some people off buying new cars.. or so they would say anyway.

Why don't they put those little boxes in as standard which monitor people's driving habits like they do for youngsters. If you drive like a moron your insurance shoots up.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a speed limiter in my car which can be set to any speed so regardless of how far down I push the pedal it will never exceed that set limit.

I also think it can be limited electronically via computer if required

I have an electronic "limiter" that I have set to 90. It doesn’t stop me going over that, but it does make such a racket you wouldn't want to keep you foot down.

Bill :)

So have have clearly driven it over 90 then Bill... TUT TUT ! :unsure:

My warning indicator only changes in 10mph increments so 90mph seems a logical place to put it otherwise it’d be going off all the time.

Like most people, I drive at what speed is appropriate for my needs and the road conditions at the time. I occasionally drive above the limit when the road conditions permit and where I feel it's safe to do so but in the full knowledge that the police would not stop me at these speeds. I have been penalised on a couple of occasions for being over the limit in previous cars without any warning devices but these were always on long down hill stretches where it’s easy for the car to get away from you.

I certainly don’t like driving long distances bunched in a group of cars all sticking religiously to the limits because I find this sort of driving extremely tiring and to be honest I don’t think it’s particularly safe. In any case, the change in the law won’t really affect me because for most of the time these days, the speed I drive at on a motorway has more to do with the high cost of fuel than anything else. Your just as likely to find me tucked up behind a lorry in the slow lane as hitting my warning limit.

I'm only telling you how it is for me Dizz so if that makes you angry then that's your problem. You've said you don't do much motorway driving whereas unfortunately I have to so I have to make my own decisions as I see fit. Perhaps if people were a bit less ready to pre judge others against their own standards there’d be a little less angst and the roads would be that bit safer.

It's not my probelm at all Bill but it's clearly one that you have. :P

Your statments such as

My warning indicator only changes in 10mph increments so 90mph seems a logical place to put it otherwise it’d be going off all the time.

So by that I presume you are saying that you often drive between 70 and 89 on the motorway but you are alerted once you hit 90

Like most people, I drive at what speed is appropriate for my needs and the road conditions at the time.

Yes most people do do that Bill but the vast majority do it WITHIN the set speed limit

You've said you don't do much motorway driving whereas unfortunately I have to so I have to make my own decisions as I see fit.

No I don't drive on motorways very often but that doesn't mean we don't use them a lot. My other half drives. I still dont see how you think that you can make your own decision 'as you see fit' if that means constantly exceeding the limit just because YOU think you should or YOU are allowed to.

I occasionally drive above the limit when the road conditions permit and where I feel it's safe to do so but in the full knowledge that the police would not stop me at these speeds.

So now you say you only do it occasionally ? Regardless, perhaps the police will stop you one day and the excuse of speeding because you going down a hill is no excuse

Perhaps if people were a bit less ready to pre judge others against their own standards there’d be a little less angst and the roads would be that bit safer.

I wasn't judging you by my own standards Bill... I was judging you by what you said, how you said it, the law, speed limits and your 'Well I can do what I like' attitude.

If they raise the limit to 80 will you then set your beeper at 100 ?

I know you have a nice flashy car, and cruise control and warning beepers and no doubt you have one of those gadgets that stop speed camera's clocking you too. Any other special knobs in there Bill? You obviously feel that you are a very good driver and maybe you are but if everyone had your attitide there would be no point in having speed limits anywhere. Rod King TAKE NOTE some people will never abide by what a simple speed sign says !

Dizzy

Irrespective of what you think Dizzy, the reality is that I drive pretty much just like everyone else. I may occasionally go a bit faster to avoid bunching on the motorway but that’s a decision I’d make on safety grounds and it’s got nothing to do with having a “flashy” car.

The whole idea of increasing the limit is to decriminalize a huge proportion of drivers who like me adjust their speed according to road conditions. If you did any amount of motorway driving, you’d appreciate just how boring it gets when you’re just going along at exactly the same speed as the other cars. This leads to bunching and a loss of concentration, which in turn leads to accidents. But don’t take my word for this, the proof was well demonstrated back in the seventies when a fuel crisis caused the limit to be dropped to 50mph. The resulting bunching at 50mph caused the accident rate to soar and as a result, the limit was very soon returned to 70mph. :roll:

As for me having gadgets to prevent speed cameras clocking me that’s just another one of your assumptions. As a “normal” driver and not a boy racer, why on earth would I need something like that?

It’s all in your Dizzy mind. :P

Yeah course it's all in my mind Bill :roll: So maybe you would now like to edit your other post. If you posted your last one first I'd have said nothing :P:wink:

Glad to see you have now lowered your tone and comments and have now confirmed that you are not really such an idiot speeder after all. Why didn't you just say that in the first place ?

Yes motorways are very boring although there are alway the idiots who break the boredom and need a good slap (either slow ones, the lane swervers AND the over confident foot down fast 'I know better and I am invincible' ones)..... and we say the same every time we see them which is <unfortunatly against forum rules so I cant repeat it> :wink:

I dont need take your word as to what motorways are like of course as I already know and I have just double checked with my other half to make sure I hadn't been been asleep and dreaming all these years.

As for thinking you were a 'boy racer'.... that is definately all in the mind Bill as I've seen your photo although there is no age limit on having gadgets, wishing and having fun :P:wink:

As is 105 on the back of a motorbike when you can't turn your head or find the hand passenger grabber rail <_< But them times change and we grow up and so do the 'drivers' or should I say 'riders'...... well mostly anyway.

Thank goodness for speed cameras and rules these days :wink:

As is 105 on the back of a motorbike when you can't turn your head or find the hand passenger grabber rail <_< But them times change and we grow up and so do the 'drivers' or should I say 'riders'...... well mostly anyway.

Thank goodness for speed cameras and rules these days :wink:

Pathetic comment Diz, the absolute scourge of motorists and nothing more than a stealth tax creator.

Yeah course it's all in my mind Bill :roll: So maybe you would now like to edit your other post. If you posted your last one first I'd have said nothing :P:wink:

In fairness he did, you just got all irate about a simple tale of how he drives at a not particularly excessive speed. By your over-reaction you'd have thought he'd admitted to being a paedo.

Glad to see you have now lowered your tone and comments and have now confirmed that you are not really such an idiot speeder after all. Why didn't you just say that in the first place ?

Dizzy I haven’t lowered any tone. My "tone" is another one of those things about me that exists purely in that Dizzy head of yours. Either that or your hearing aid needs a new battery :P

Tell me Dizzy, exactly which part of my post that you took exception made me an idiot speeder and which part would you like me to edit for you? :roll:

In fairness he did, you just got all irate about a simple tale of how he drives at a not particularly excessive speed. By your over-reaction you'd have thought he'd admitted to being a paedo.

:lol::lol: Of course you never get irate, over-react or mis read people's 'simple tales' or posts do you Fatso :wink::P

As for 'not particularly excessive'... well who knows but in all fairness he did say his beeper goes off at 90 so that's excessive in my view when the limit is 70 B)

Anyway, I'm getting bored now but nice to see you and Bill are now on the same side :D

Dizzy I haven’t lowered any tone. My "tone" is another one of those things about me that exists purely in that Dizzy head of yours. Either that or your hearing aid needs a new battery :P

:lol::lol: You dont really exist as such in my Dizzy head... you just pop in for a while every now and again :P

Tell me Dizzy, exactly which part of my post that you took exception made me an idiot speeder and which part would you like me to edit for you? :roll:

None thanks Bill as it would sort of make the topic a little hard to follow if you did :P

Have a nice day and drive carefully as it's wet out there and I see enough smashed up cars every week and wouldn't like to see yours being one of them :wink::D

I don’t know it its forum etiquette to ask this, but Dizzy, I’d very much appreciate it if you could distance yourself from my posts. I’ve no problems debating with people but you clearly have some kind of personal issue with me. I don’t know why this is but given I’ve asked you politely on private mail to stop, you insist on continuing. What you’re doing isn’t nice and if I wasn’t for the fact that you’re a lady I’d have told you where to get off long ago. Smiley faces aside, calling me a creep, calling me a womaniser, and that you think of slugs each time you think of me, I could go on. Dizzy this stops now.