The "Straight" Line.

Wireboy

Great pictures Baz.

You would never know walking past those places now. I have been trying to find an old picture of Orford Road Bridge, as that is the closest to me but had no such luck.

The steel works picture. That bridge is still there and if you look at google earth you can see it is old railway sidings for Rylands. Not used any more but the bridge behind is the passenger line for Warrington Central.

The Jockey Bridge picture would be where Matalan is now.

It must have been a big job removing the bridge and digging the embankments out. My Dad used to live in Winwick road in the old terrace houses but moved in 1968 the house was compulsory purchased due to the widening of Winwick road. That must be when the bridge was removed during the widening. But apparently the houses on Winwick road were empty for a couple of years before demolition.

Seemed like half the town lived round the Cockhedge/ Church street area - that's where the work was.

As a young policeman I was shown how to catch people riding down the snicket (sixpenny walk). Nobody ever got booked but it passed a few minutes in those boring, pre radio days.

Happy days

Yahboo! You never caught me! :lol::lol::lol:

Cleo

My mother in law used to live in the houses on Church Street where Sainsbury's is now? Her maiden name was Boyle which later became Lee.

Bill :)

I can't remember the name Boyle but then it was about 40 years or so ago. I remember the Noons and the Greens, The Harrisons and their in-laws who lived in the house next to the entry before Ryalnds' general offices. And Martha Groarke who had the corner shop in Gaskell Street but then I would remember her because she was my dad's cousin.

When I saw the name Green I thought we’d stuck lucky but that’s only my name. The Boyles would have been there forty years ago and the houses were those right near to the Rylands main office.

When my mother in law used to get confused with her Altzimers, she would always ask me to take her home to her house on Church Street that of course is long gone.

Bill :)

• 4 years later...

Pommie there are a few different ways. 

1) In the 'Reply to This Topic' editor box when you are composing your reply you will see a button bottom right of the editor/reply box which says 'More Reply Options'.

Click on that and it opens the reply box in full editing mode.

You will then see an icon at the bottom which says 'Attach Files'

Simply 'browse' your computer and locate the photo you want to attach/upload and click on it to 'attach' then simply press the ADD REPLY button and your photo should be attached.

The down side of doing it that way is that each forum member only has a small amount of space set aside for attachments so if you want to upload quite a few you finish up having to delete some old ones to release space.

I upload mine to Photobucket instead then simply post the inage link code into my forum reply.

looks like it was taken from around the spot synge street joins orford avenue. if you go on google street view you can get a similar view but without the bridge. in fact that part that the bridge crosses/used to cross is still called orford avenue.

On a side note synge street still has one of the best pie shops in the warrington area with the pies cooked on site and queues around the corner most days.(i know you like pie shops, are you sure you were from warrington and not wigan)