New litter picking scheme

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One new method being proposed this year is to provide grit, shovels etc to Parish Councils for them to use as they see fit if they accept the challenge. I think that at least it would provide an extra resource that can be used locally.

Seems a reasonable idea in a way but how on earth would it work?

Where would they store the grit (or are you just talking about small amounts) but more importantly how would they decide who or where needed it?

I can't see our PC's going out gritting side roads or other dangerous spots though to be honest.

I'd do it round here though if the council want to drop me some grit off. I have my own spade and a sledge (or better still my son's huge fishing trolley) that I could transport it on and also my cricket shoes which are ideal for walking on ice. :lol:

That would be rather good fun and think of all the fresh air I'd get :D

I'm not sure - I think it's a proposal for the Parish Council to consider and accept the offer if they want - maybe you could accomodate a yellow box for grit - like the one on the corner of Taylor Street - and get your son to shovel the grit on the pavements up and down your street. :mrgreen: A lon the like of Obs 'Big Society' that he is advocating on another thread. <_< Maybe OBS would take one as well for Fairfield and Howley and be a good citizen that we know deep down he is. :wink:

They could put a yellow grit bin in large empty space along the fencing on our road where they removed the litter bin from :evil:

It is an ideal location for a grit bin infact I seem to remember there was one there some years ago.

However, the grit would probably get pinched and used on people's personal driveways or paths so 'yes' I could accomodate a yellow grit box in my yard if necessary for use around here. My lads not having all the fun though :P

I'm sure if grit was available people everywhere would happily spread it. :wink:

They need to be locked as this is a problem and there needs to be a key holder as these days as you say people just nick it for themselves :twisted: - the one on Taylor Street was empty and turned over such is the whimsical nature of others. :angry: - hence the reason why there has to be a bit of security to deter. :roll: -these are the types of logistical descisions that Parish and or Town councils have to work out for themselves as each area wil be different.

There used to be gritting bins all over the place but I don’t recollect seeing that many these days if any. Wasn’t there at one time some kind of silliness where if an individual was to put down grit and then someone had an accident, it could end up with them being sued for not doing “their job” right. This bizarre logic also explains why shops seem to make no attempt to clear anything other than maybe one tiny area at their doorway.

BTW when it comes to something like this, I’m all in favour of everyone chipping in doing his or her bit because it’s unrealistic to expect councils to deal with random extreme weather events. It’s not unrealistic however to expect the council to deal with a quantifiable litter problem and to suggest that we routinely clean up for the council all year long is missing the point.

Bill :)

Funny you should mention that Bill as last year when we were smashing our way through the deadly two inch thick smooth ice on the pavements and smashing 8 inch thick frozen snow from next to our cars around here someone mentioned that to us....ie if someone then fell where we had cleared we could be the one's in trouble and facing a claim.

Madness really but like I and a few other neighbours said... people are far less likely to fall where it was cleared rather than where it wasn't. What else can you do other than 'do' your bit though when nothing else is, or can, be done about it.

Saying that we did keep putting a lot of salt down on the long stretch so that it didn't turn into black pavement ice :unsure: The local spar must have made a fortune out of me as I knew when their salt deliveries were :wink:

I got told that as well but I live right on a really tight bend where it’s difficult for me to get the car into the drive even under perfect conditions.

Anyway last year I got into a situation where I just couldn’t control the car having to go from full lock one way to full lock the other way then hoping the sliding car would miss the gateposts.

In the end and after several near misses I thought stuff what anyone else tells me so I cleared the whole bend and put plenty of salt down so it stayed clear.

I did my back in in the process but ironically I had nobody to sue. :D

OUCH... and I know what you mean although I only had blisters and sore arms from banging the spade down for what felt like weeks on end. I'm with you on this Bill and stuff what anyone else might say :wink:

Maybe Clr Geoff could advise us as to whether caring and helpful citizens like ourselves do indeed risk being sued for doing our neighbourly duties in times of snow, ice or other needs.

The same question could be asked about litter picking. ie... Clr Geoff is openly 'asking' for litter picking bods and saying he will provide the sticks.. now if any of these people got hurt in the process either by litter or by the equipment could they then sue Clr Geoff as he did ask them or the council or police for not carrying out their duties (as it seems like most think it's their jobs to sort it one way or another).

I thought I'd ask the latter so as to make it appear that I/we had not taken this 'litter picking' topic off on a tangent :oops::wink:

Didn't they remove all the yellow bins last year?

If there were more, people would muck in and do a stretch outside were they live.

Probably thought that with global warming that we wouldn't get snow, as they obviously hadn't had a stategy to deal with it.

We will get it this year and maybe next.

OUCH... and I know what you mean although I only had blisters and sore arms from banging the spade down for what felt like weeks on end. I'm with you on this Bill and stuff what anyone else might say :wink:

Maybe Cllr Geoff could advise us as to whether caring and helpful citizens like ourselves do indeed risk being sued for doing our neighbourly duties in times of snow, ice or other needs.

The same question could be asked about litter picking. ie... Clr Geoff is openly 'asking' for litter picking bods and saying he will provide the sticks.. now if any of these people got hurt in the process either by litter or by the equipment could they then sue Clr Geoff as he did ask them or the council or police for not carrying out their duties (as it seems like most think it's their jobs to sort it one way or another).

I thought I'd ask the latter so as to make it appear that I/we had not taken this 'litter picking' topic off on a tangent :oops::wink:

Unfortunately being sued for being a councillor appears to be part of the role these days as well as being smeared, verbally abused and threatened. I have had them all and more it's the culture that we live in and hence why Max Clifford is doing very well thank you. An opposition councillor said to me a few years ago 'Geoff that's politics' unfortunately that is the case sad but true. Do you remember when Paul posted he used to conclude his posts with the footer saying that the views were his and his alone - he did this for a specific reason?

With regard to litter picking whilst I want people to do it - I can't make the guarantees that you speak of DIZZY we live in a world were you have to pick over and watch every word you write and of speak.

This is one of the main reasons why so many people don't post on here or if they don't they don't declare who they are.

All I can say is that I buy you a litter picker with my own money and pass on my experience on how to reduce potential injuries and minimise risk and then you are out there on your own.

Sound harsh but that is the way it is, that is the reality I can’t afford solicitors but I can afford the occasional litter picker.

Had to have a little chuckle at one of the people who wander along sankey valley in the mornings walking their dog. nearly every bin was surrounded by a ring off litter and they made the comment that people were too lazy to make sure it went in the bin.

Reason or my chuckle is that prior to them walking past the bin two magpies were perched on the edge sorting through the bin and chucking the contents all over the place. :blink::mrgreen:

Geoff wrote

We live in a world were you have to pick over and watch every word you write and of speak. This is one of the main reasons why so many people don't post on here or if they don't they don't declare who they are.

Correction Geoff, what you mean is “the main reason so many political types don’t post here”

Which is ironic in a way because

The real reason cited for not posting on this forum is because there’s too many political types posting. :D

Geoff wrote

Correction Geoff, what you mean is “the main reason so many political types don’t post here”

Which is ironic in a way because

The real reason cited for not posting on this forum is because there’s too many political types posting. :D

Thanks and well spotted Bill - I need a good proof reader.... :mrgreen: and Dizzy many a true word is spoken on jest. :wink:

Well Geoff still posts and he's now a councillor, Paul K used to post and he was and still is a councillor. Maybe they are the rebellious type :wink::D ) [/i]

They (the rest) have probably been advised (or 'told') not to but I would suspect that is because of the fear that a lot of them can't actually 'chat' or 'discuss' things openly without getting all defensive about their own party or turning things into a major political battlefield and childish point scoring exercise against the other party thus loosing the whole meaning of the topic being talked about and boring everyone half to death in the process.

Actually now I think about it.................... they would fit in rather well on here :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Geoff always was a law unto himself. :wink: Barr from Lymm used to post and give very good information, until he got warned off. I think that Paul got fed up with banging his head against the Town Hall brick wall and just concentrated on his Ward.

I find it very sad when cllrs are not allowed to speak outside of the political line as I always believed they were elected to represent us, NOT their party in the Town Hall.

Let's face it, what they say in London is not as important as to what they say in Warrington. :roll:

Dizzy you could give it a go starting with life on a Parish Council - it would give you a taste. You just need firm beliefs - which you have - ability to champion your causes and local area and bobs your uncle ..... If you bow down to what others say (unless they have very good cause to advise you otherwise) then you are no good to anyone. Having a thick skin certainly helps as well, correction VERY thick skinned. :rolleyes:

Being on here and being slagged off is a very good start - it starts that toughening up process - and at the end of the day sometimes you have to as Fleetwood Mac say 'Go your own way' like a certain person stated in the local press he has decided to do last week.

Anyway this is the litter picking thread and I'm still picking. :mrgreen: Today my puppy took me into the bushes and brambles - she was in search of food as usual and often finds rubbish that people have discarded - fortunately she hasn'r puked up - one of the reasons I keep doing the work so that I can protect her - as a cockel spaniel she can spot and sniff a bite to eat from a hundred meters and is so fast to get there. :oops:

And just noticed the Front Page about the Parish Councils and snow clearing tools - the is what Culcheth think of the idea

Culcheth Parish response to Gritting Offer